carbine781 (DayZ)

Base Building - Do's and Don'ts (DayZ Standalone)

I would also like to see part of the building aspect from Epoch, how you can build wooden shacks, fences, etc.

EDIT: I disagree with with the spraypaint idea though, it would just fill the game with crudely drawn penis' and boobs.

What is wrong with crudely drawn penises and boobs?

There's no prison (Yet, maybe in Chenarus+) 2nd, they RUN not walk.  Safe until bandits show up in large unorganized numbers with 3 badasses (I mean seriously wasting about 80 rounds of .50 BMG on a group of 20 or so slow moving zombies?)[/quote

we're dead if they run fast like in world war z

I would also like to see part of the building aspect from Epoch, how you can build wooden shacks, fences, etc.

EDIT: I disagree with with the spraypaint idea though, it would just fill the game with crudely drawn penis' and boobs.

Are you kidding! My penis and boobs would be perfect...

• Like 2

The main problem with base building is you would have to be on 24/7 to guard it.  If 1 can build 1 should be able to break. So the base becomes any ones if the base builder is offline. Now a small off shoot of the game could be 1 group builds a base and another tries to take it.

I disagree, when your building your base its like oops that's in the wrong place.

Take one thing down, might take a couple of minutes (no biggy especially in DayZ, just grab some food) and its not like your gonna be sticking 50 things down every day.

But when your trying to rob someone of their base it might take a couple hours of just taking things down, let alone transport and moving and packing cars with loot. It might take six odd hours to actually get the stuff you want from a base.

And if somebody pops up in that time, sees a strangers Ural and goes on the sneaky you would have no way of knowing he's watching you and now your packing up the last of his base ready for him to quickly grab back and move elsewhere with your Ural.

The main problem with base building is you would have to be on 24/7 to guard it.  If 1 can build 1 should be able to break. So the base becomes any ones if the base builder is offline. Now a small off shoot of the game could be 1 group builds a base and another tries to take it.

Of course. That's pretty much human nature in a nutshell.

And it goes both ways, you know. If you capture someone else's base, chances are the owners are going to show up at some point because they know it's location. Maybe they even logged out inside the base, which might make it very easy for them to kill you and reclaim their property. Or you could kill them, of course. But you should be prepared for a counter-attack, because those players are probably not going to just give up on something they worked on so hard.

The point is that stealing a base could actually be more risky than constructing your own. 

Personally I'd rather build my own hidden base than try to take someone else's. I would take adequate measures to hide my gear somehow, knowing that other players might find it while I'm logged off. It would be very discreet and remote, of course.

• Like 1

Of course. That's pretty much human nature in a nutshell.

And it goes both ways, you know. If you capture someone else's base, chances are the owners are going to show up at some point because they know it's location. Maybe they even logged out inside the base, which might make it very easy for them to kill you and reclaim their property. Or you could kill them, of course. But you should be prepared for a counter-attack, because those players are probably not going to just give up on something they worked on so hard.

The point is that stealing a base could actually be more risky than constructing your own. 

Personally I'd rather build my own hidden base than try to take someone else's. I would take adequate measures to hide my gear somehow, knowing that other players might find it while I'm logged off. It would be very discreet and remote, of course.

Yep, you can hardly claim another active players base.

Because they come right back to it.

There's no prison (Yet, maybe in Chenarus+) 2nd, they RUN not walk. Safe until bandits show up in large unorganized numbers with 3 badasses (I mean seriously wasting about 80 rounds of .50 BMG on a group of 20 or so slow moving zombies?)

They already confirmed a prison for Chernarus+. Along with a shipwreck and new villages.
  • Like 1

i think base building is a good idea, but i can see people boarding up houses and hoarding item spawns. Or stockpiling anything they find in a  base.

i think anything you build should have a certain life span. eg, a wooden hut would take damage from the elements, which would lead to it rotting and becoming useless.

However acquiring additional materials you can repair your house and keep it. or upgrade it.

Or making a generator to power electricity, water or just so you can have a security lock. and to keep the generator running you need fuel...

any thoughts?

i think base building is a good idea, but i can see people boarding up houses and hoarding item spawns. Or stockpiling anything they find in a  base.

i think anything you build should have a certain life span. eg, a wooden hut would take damage from the elements, which would lead to it rotting and becoming useless.

However acquiring additional materials you can repair your house and keep it. or upgrade it.

Or making a generator to power electricity, water or just so you can have a security lock. and to keep the generator running you need fuel...

any thoughts?

a wooden house takes like years to decay to the point of collapse, there's  no need to this fast decay.

a wooden house takes like years to decay to the point of collapse, there's  no need to this fast decay.

Left alone It would quickly become a shelter for animals.

And the rate at which time passes in dayZ is meant to be speed up.

Not in terms of day & night.

But a year might be a week of playing or something to simulate how often you would just be sitting at camp surviving In a real world situation.

Don't you hate it when you write a list that takes you about 45 minutes and then your internet craps out.

FML.

I'll just recap. On what I had to say about camps, the forest lying base.

Small safes that are reasonably secure but hold little.

Less horde mentality.

with less hoarding camps are of less material value and people are happy to let strangers join/ pass through knowing safely that there is little worth in them taking stuff or a lot of hassle in taking things down like large open tents and workbenches and stuff.

Fences (barbed wire, wooden, stone) and gates to protect from zombies.

With strangers coming in/ out people are more pushed to use direct and radio due to convenience.

Petrol generators, extension cords, double plug converters and such.

For the would be thief it takes ages to dismantle something, store it, and then a car sized vehicle should only be able to fit one dismantled workbench or something.

Workbenches, modifying weapons and equipment (cutting down the double barrel).

Barbecues, better than fireplaces, more time on cooked/ food doesn't go from cooked to burnt so fast.

So instead of loot piles for a passing player (which there will be many of in 100+ servers) camps will serve as more of a communal place of healing, talking, eating, storing small amounts of equipment that don't really fully equip you after dying (such as a pistol and ammo).

I think forts or bases should be completely different though, and then underground bases should be more the common hoarders base we see now.

It would be cool if you could use little boxes and crates to store stuff, even while its in your inventory. 

Example

Pick up Medical box (uses entire inventory) and take it to woods. Drop. Won't despawn, but some random player can pick the whole thing up and walk away. Maybe if it has more stuff in it it uses more inventory.

You could also find like wooden crates in industrial areas.

And for tents, maybe civilian tents instead of Army surplus? So you could find a white, blue, orange, green, ect tents, some of which are large enought to go inside. Maby even make it so your items appear inside tents (Gun lying on the ground, cans stacked up)

And i like the boarding up houses idea, though not the claiming part. IRL, you can't "Claim" a building so others can't break into it. Just maje it hard to get into.

And safes - Maybe make it so you CAN bust it open after a few hours of slamming it with a crowbar. Better safes would be harder to open.

Hers another cool but unrelated idea. Gun locks.

You can but a trigger lock on a gun, making it useless without the key. It would stop alot of stealing i'm sure, but make them extremly rare so you can only put them on that fully-customized m4 and not every mosin you have.

• Like 1

It would be cool if you could use little boxes and crates to store stuff, even while its in your inventory. 

Example

Pick up Medical box (uses entire inventory) and take it to woods. Drop. Won't despawn, but some random player can pick the whole thing up and walk away. Maybe if it has more stuff in it it uses more inventory.

You could also find like wooden crates in industrial areas.

And for tents, maybe civilian tents instead of Army surplus? So you could find a white, blue, orange, green, ect tents, some of which are large enought to go inside. Maby even make it so your items appear inside tents (Gun lying on the ground, cans stacked up)

And i like the boarding up houses idea, though not the claiming part. IRL, you can't "Claim" a building so others can't break into it. Just maje it hard to get into.

And safes - Maybe make it so you CAN bust it open after a few hours of slamming it with a crowbar. Better safes would be harder to open.

Hers another cool but unrelated idea. Gun locks.

You can but a trigger lock on a gun, making it useless without the key. It would stop alot of stealing i'm sure, but make them extremly rare so you can only put them on that fully-customized m4 and not every mosin you have.

The idea about that fully customised M4 though is, what would stop somebody IRL from taking off your grips, your sights, your stock, your silencer and leaving the receiver intact?

I would like camps to be less of places you go hunting for to loot and more places to sit down with a stranger instead of shooting them before they get near.

So I would back any realistic way of preserving loot like the gun lock you suggested.

Safes, with realistic inventory space.

Stashes from the mod, but they should be very hard to make to minimise hoarding which makes loosing gear not matter.

I thought the bases were gonna be instanced underground things?

Something iv always wanted at camps it to be able to build equipment aswell as storage. Taking a lot of inspiration from Bethesda games like skyrim and fallout, we could make benches. So you could cut wood from a tree, but you then need to build a carpenters workbench at your camp to create the nice planks of wood required for building. Just like fallout we could have to build a reloading bench at camp, then we can find empty shells and jars of powder to make our own ammo. For metal stuff we would need make some sort of forge type bench (its really easy to make something capable of melting and shaping aluminium).

If they were done as instanced things could another player even gain access to it?

• Like 1

I thought the bases were gonna be instanced underground things?

Something iv always wanted at camps it to be able to build equipment aswell as storage. Taking a lot of inspiration from Bethesda games like skyrim and fallout, we could make benches. So you could cut wood from a tree, but you then need to build a carpenters workbench at your camp to create the nice planks of wood required for building. Just like fallout we could have to build a reloading bench at camp, then we can find empty shells and jars of powder to make our own ammo. For metal stuff we would need make some sort of forge type bench (its really easy to make something capable of melting and shaping aluminium).

If they were done as instanced things could another player even gain access to it?

Yes yes yes, workbenches to modify your guns and logs to lumber sort of things.

Collect separate tools and instead of carrying everything around everywhere just craft a workbench to have at camp with the functionality of all the tools and even vices and stuff.

You could saw off your shotguns stock and most the barrel (select barrel length to saw at).

You could saw off the stock and barrel of a .22 rifle and make a nice sidearm when a pistol cannot be found.

These kind of in world objects should be very difficult to steal though, you should need a good and empty car and it would take up all inventory aswell as about 3 minutes to pack it down to item form.

If you could make any valuable loot safe and all your useful in camp objects like benches and stuff so hard to steel anyway it might make camps safer.

If you know what I mean when I say camps should be a place that you let people that aren't just your close IRL friends.

You help a stranger in Churno you don't have to keep your camp a complete secret anymore, hell maybe even let him in to customise his things, with this you never know who could help you out as even a new spawn could be sporting a wealthy camp.

A great reward for Heros.

• Like 1

Personally , I think if people have enough time to be base building , the game probably isn't balanced correctly .

Exactly. Anything you build is inevitably going to be broken into, pillaged and/or destroyed after you log off. A base is an attractive target because people assume there's something inside worth protecting.

Hell, in epoch, you can't even leave a parked vehicle in the woods overnight without someone coming along and destroying it on general principle. People will destroy anything they find whether its of any benefit to them to do so or not. I gave up base building long ago in favour of just keeping a few well hidden lock-boxes along the coast filled with weapons/gold/supplies. At the end of the day, a lock-box hidden under a bush serves all the same practical functions that a base does (save for vehicle storage perhaps).

For the Stealing parts off locked guns.

Yes, you could, but you'll probably still have a functioning rifle as a doupt someone will take all the parts off and keep all of their parts in their inventory.

Personally , I think if people have enough time to be base building , the game probably isn't balanced correctly .

What do you mean? DayZ isnt meant to be COD with you running into people that gun you down on sight.

I think you should run into a person maybe every half hour? and thats maybe on the in towns and roads, not in the wilderness.

Exactly. Anything you build is inevitably going to be broken into, pillaged and/or destroyed after you log off. A base is an attractive target because people assume there's something inside worth protecting.

Hell, in epoch, you can't even leave a parked vehicle in the woods overnight without someone coming along and destroying it on general principle. People will destroy anything they find whether its of any benefit to them to do so or not. I gave up base building long ago in favour of just keeping a few well hidden lock-boxes along the coast filled with weapons/gold/supplies. At the end of the day, a lock-box hidden under a bush serves all the same practical functions that a base does (save for vehicle storage perhaps).

The thing about a base, is that if you could keep stuuf inside the base safe, it wouldn't matter if people could get in the walls or not.

Things like safes, locks, strongboxes, could be what people collect instead of tents.

They should be rare though, super rare, so its hard to hoard, the point of a base is that it is defendable.

The problem like in every other case is the players.

They'll do whatever means necissary to ruin it.

I think if they move away from storage options and more to utility things in our base then people may just "visit" your camp. Maybe you have something they haven't built yet, they will just use it and move on. Then they can come back and use it again. Storage items should take a lot of work, then people wont horde as much.

• Like 4

I think if they move away from storage options and more to utility things in our base then people may just "visit" your camp. Maybe you have something they haven't built yet, they will just use it and move on. Then they can come back and use it again. Storage items should take a lot of work, then people wont horde as much.

I agree completely.

I'd like to just sit at camp with strangers sharing stories all while knowing they have nothing to gain from killing me but the torn clothes on my back. Showing hospitality by offering them a smoke, a cookie, a cold beverage or a warm drink.

Trade gear for bullets, but some of his gear for bullets, outright trade without bullets as currency.

No worries dayZ camp lifestyle.

Maybe these people ask to become part of your camp community and put a tent up, graze in and out freely, call it their own and keep eye over loot that isn't locked away.

Will give u some beans tomorrow, I cant right now, all the good posts come when I have no beans.

• Like 1

What do you mean? DayZ isnt meant to be COD with you running into people that gun you down on sight.

I think you should run into a person maybe every half hour? and thats maybe on the in towns and roads, not in the wilderness.

The thing about a base, is that if you could keep stuuf inside the base safe, it wouldn't matter if people could get in the walls or not.

Things like safes, locks, strongboxes, could be what people collect instead of tents.

They should be rare though, super rare, so its hard to hoard, the point of a base is that it is defendable.

The problem like in every other case is the players.

They'll do whatever means necissary to ruin it.

I mean , you will only have spare time for base building if the loot is not balanced very well , unlike at the moment where on the average vanilla server you have a back pack full of cans in about 5 minutes .

In my opinion you should be spending most of your time just staying healthy , and out of trouble , and if the game is balanced right , this will take a majority of your time .

You're not going to give two shits about a base , if you have no food or water .

You're not going to give two shits about a base , if you have no food or water .

While that is true "securing" a water supply by expending some time building a "base" then frees up other time that could be spent doing other things, which frees up more time, which.... This is why we went from Hunter/Gatherer to Agrarian in history. 

Epoch gives you some great do's and don't's. My base in Epoch is out of the way and near water. Because of that when I find Water Bottles I take them. Others just grab soda and use that. My base has a firebarrel in it now and I keep an empty tin can. When I gear up for an evening's run around the map I toss the empty water bottles in storage and pull out a couple full ones. Since my base is also in an area where animals spawn I also have plenty of food. I can grab a few things and run out the door then every so often "replenish" my stores. 

In Vanilla I try to do much the same but often you will come on and find your tent ransacked and even food missing. So for the most part my Vanilla play starts out with, "How much food and drink do I have?" if the answer is one of each then my first run will be to where food and drink spawn so I can have a few. I eat and drink as I go but I end up doing detours a LOT to make sure my supplies are kept up in Vanilla. In Epoch I find myself using the measure of, "I have enough to get back to base."