RooBurger

Situational awareness chart

Sun Tzu said, "He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious". Either fight on your own terms, or not at all.

This is how I play when I'm in the mood to seriously try and survive as long as possible while still engaging bandits and any other players who I might consider a threat.

I'm a fan of Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and this chart is how I apply the principles recommended in it directly to DayZ.

I call the most optimal phase the "control phase" because in this situation you're the one calling the shots, whether that's fighting, talking, leaving, continuing observation, whatever.

Once the situation reaches a point where the fight could be considered fair, you should either try to regain an advantage or retreat. If you cannot gain the upper hand, definitely attempt to retreat and escape.

I've got no idea how other people will take this, so I'm interested to hear your feedback. Just remember everything in this chart is a generalisation, don't take it too literally.

Wr2H9BAl.jpg

• Like 9

I like it.  It's a pretty basic chart but interesting.  I think a lot of peeps already make decisions based in these things using common sense but it nice to see it in chart form I guess.

Hello there

Ditto to Fraggle.

I think many of us automatically do much of the above.

Interesting to apply Tzu to Dayz.

Remember though, due to lack of fear of "true" death some things don't translate, although it suits DAYZ more rather than Arma.

Dyslexi wrote a military guide to Arma which I personally still think is somewhat flawed as some aspects of true warefare simply cannot be applied to the game. We had a big row about it back in the day :) It *is* a very interesting read and worth digging up on the BiS Forums. 

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Dyslexi wrote a military guide to Arma which I personally still think is somewhat flawed as some aspects of true warefare simply cannot be applied to the game. We had a big row about it back in the day :) It *is* a very interesting read and worth digging up on the BiS Forums. 

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

If I'm behind them, they're going to die. My fight-or-flight is more dictated on what I'm carrying than who's at an advantage. IE, if I've got an AKM (my favorite assault rifle), I'm going to do anything I kind to kill the bastard trying to take it from me.

I like it, a topic actually worth discussing for once!

But what's Magoo mean...?

I'd probably add a few variables depending on the status of my player.

If I had zero loot let's say but equipped with a gun, I might be a little braver.

If I had a lot of loot and nowhere to stash it I'd be more the other way.

Also depends on my mood, if I'm feeling reckless, or paranoid etc etc

Or how much time I know I'm going to be playing.

And how many other people are playing.

But yeah, nice one, I think it's quite a good way of playing :D

Mr Magoo maybe? For some reason I take it to mean 'shit your pants time'.

Edited by philbottle

Loot hoarding negates this kind of thinking. People hoard antipersonnel weaponry in tents or trucks and then go on a rampage. If they die, they run back to their stash and they're ready for some more.

Like yesterday. I saw 2 bandits with a dmr and an mk mod go sprinting across the NWAF (something you would never do if you valued your gear at all). So of course I blasted them with my trusty m24.

30 minutes or so later the same two people were slaughtering coast dwellers near elektro. They had a stash and knew that 2 rifles and mediocre backpacks were nothing to get attached to and so they took the easy route across the field.

Although I can see how this kind of thinking applies to homeless wanderers like myself, you cannot rely on it to predict the actions of your average opponent or possible opponent in an engagement.

Like someone stated earlier, you can never fully replicate the valuation of your own life as is felt in real life.

"I ain't have to read The Art of War to slay men" - Nas

Interesting to apply Tzu to Dayz.

Tzu applies to all instances of conflict in the human experience.

I like it.  It's a pretty basic chart but interesting.  I think a lot of peeps already make decisions based in these things using common sense but it nice to see it in chart form I guess.

Also, "common sense" is actually a rather rare thing, it's a misnomer. People who think critically on the fly seem to be in the minority in this world, then again I am in Texas.

This chart is a step at making sense more common at any rate, well done.

Edited by Fonebook
  • Like 2

Also, "common sense" is actually a rather rare thing, it's a misnomer. People who think critically on the fly seem to be in the minority in this world, then again I am in Texas.

Exactly. I'm guilty of it myself, staying when I should leave because I feel like I should, but in reality I've lost control of the situation and now I'm just rolling the dice. Codifying phases helps me act more consistently and survive longer, rather than letting the instinct to RAMBO take over.

About "Magoo" phase - yes, it's in reference to Mr. Magoo. Originally the chart just had Control and Retreat phases, but I added a third. I had a lot trouble thinking of a word to describe it. Magoo popped into my head.

"Quincy Magoo is a wealthy, short-statured retiree who gets into a series of comical situations as a result of his nearsightedness, compounded by his stubborn refusal to admit the problem."

It means you're completely oblivious to the problem at hand. That's why it can't be part of the Retreat phase. Retreat from what?

I'd probably add a few variables depending on the status of my player.

If I had zero loot let's say but equipped with a gun, I might be a little braver.

If I had a lot of loot and nowhere to stash it I'd be more the other way.

Also depends on my mood, if I'm feeling reckless, or paranoid etc etc

Or how much time I know I'm going to be playing.

And how many other people are playing.

Of course, it's a game and during gameplay these kinds of factors come into play as it's not your own life at stake.

I don't always play according to that chart, sometimes I go full retard just for fun.

Edited by RooBurger
  • Like 1