I primarily play on night servers. IT IS SPOOKY. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SPOOKY. I took a 3 week break. I go to play today on a night server annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd IT MIGHT AS WELL BE DAYTIME. I can see just as far as i normally can during the day, only in grayscale. Was there some retardo patch recently to 'fix' the nighttime which was never broken to begin with? Am I now forced to play on full retard level because some people are afraid of the dark?

Either it's a full moon or you've turned your gamma/brightness up?

Edit: Looks like nights are locked to full moon now actually.

* [NEW] - Servers date has been locked to give full moon nights.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/129843-dayz-mod-177-patch/

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 2

Ugh.4 I guess the masses cant handle using flares, flashlights and glowsticks to see in the dark. I have an idea, lets just make it 24/7 daylight and have everyone spawn with grenade launchers..and restrict the map to only Cherno..and might as well rename it DEATHMATCH Z while were at it.

Whatever, thanks for the response i guess

Edited by Shnoogy
  • Like 2

One final thought..I dont know the current state of the stand-alone. Please tell me that SA will not allow there to be 24/7 daylight?

• Like 2

that sucks, the best part about darkness is the panic you feel when your last flare goes out and there's zombies chasing you in the dark.

Makes nighttime maneuvers a lot more tactical.

I wholeheartedly(sp?) disagree. It removes the entire tactical feel from nighttime play. I used to join 30-40 players night time servers and run into cherno/elektro and toss flares everywhich way to mess with nightvision. Why even use nightvision now? YOu can see as well as you can during the day.

I think the part that makes me the angriest is the people who pushed for this nighttime vision garbage are poeple who said "look at the realism. IRL you can see at nighttime without nightvision." While this is true (to an extent), YOU CANT SEE 300 FUCKING METERS AT NIGHT WITH NO AMBIENT LIGHT. EVeryone whoever made this argument needs to go into the middle of the desert where there is 0 ambient light (IE: NO  HOUSES, ROADS, ETC: BETTER KNOWN AS AFGHANISTAN) and tell me exactly how far you can see. I have no issue with 3rd person because spacial awareness is something no game will ever be able to program in, but seeing 300+ meters in total darkness? Give me a fucking break.

I apologize if this posts sounds angry. I am special forces and i just go tback from another lovely deplyment in Afghanland. I am incredibly drunk. <3 you all.

@ Shnoogy..

Your answer is is totaly justified, I have been "lost" in the hills when there is no moon, you can see less than nothing.
When the moon is full or near, the same path would lead me home.

My comment only concerned full moon (or near) tactics.
Forcing full moon on a server is a mistake as far as I'm concerned, totally.

• Like 1

One final thought..I dont know the current state of the stand-alone. Please tell me that SA will not allow there to be 24/7 daylight?

Currently night looks horrible in the standalone, so unless they have been working on it there's 24/7 daylight in the SA.

Ugh.4 I guess the masses cant handle using flares, flashlights and glowsticks to see in the dark. I have an idea, lets just make it 24/7 daylight and have everyone spawn with grenade launchers..and restrict the map to only Cherno..and might as well rename it DEATHMATCH Z while were at it.

Whatever, thanks for the response i guess

I love nights more than daytime, but with this retarded character who doesn't know how to use a gun and a flashlight at the same time, I may very well just be blind because it is the same. So the locked moonlight time looks fine to me, it is still not the same than daytime but at least you can shoot and see where you're shooting at the same time.

I loved the pitch blackness, I've used it to my advantage many times such as killing unaware bandits on sniper hill.

I wholeheartedly(sp?) disagree. It removes the entire tactical feel from nighttime play. I used to join 30-40 players night time servers and run into cherno/elektro and toss flares everywhich way to mess with nightvision. Why even use nightvision now? YOu can see as well as you can during the day.

I think the part that makes me the angriest is the people who pushed for this nighttime vision garbage are poeple who said "look at the realism. IRL you can see at nighttime without nightvision." While this is true (to an extent), YOU CANT SEE 300 FUCKING METERS AT NIGHT WITH NO AMBIENT LIGHT. EVeryone whoever made this argument needs to go into the middle of the desert where there is 0 ambient light (IE: NO  HOUSES, ROADS, ETC: BETTER KNOWN AS AFGHANISTAN) and tell me exactly how far you can see. I have no issue with 3rd person because spacial awareness is something no game will ever be able to program in, but seeing 300+ meters in total darkness? Give me a fucking break.

I apologize if this posts sounds angry. I am special forces and i just go tback from another lovely deplyment in Afghanland. I am incredibly drunk. <3 you all.

Thats actually not true. They could very well create some sort of "visual sense of touch", specially for the night. There's sometimes in the night I don't even know if crouching or standing, running or walking, going up or down a hill... is that realistic? hahaahahaha I would say no. But with a HUD helping me to "notice" the position of my character, or a 3D image black&white image of what Im touching (a tree, a fence, the inclination of the floor...) it may help a lot.

Hope the add something similar in the SA.

Played Overwatch at night and at least the server I played on had pitch black nights. Even with gamma/brightness at max I could hardly see anything. Spooky as fuck!

I have to agree/disagree to an extent.

I think it should still be able to go darker, the new 'locked' night doesn't make it more tactical at all, both require tactics, just a different set of tactics.

Daylight/New night requires a lot more long-range type scouting before going in and about and making sure you stay a significant distance from zombies.
Darkness meant everything ended up a lot closer and a lot more stealh (prone/crouch) was used, especially places like Cherno/Elektro where sound was your greatest ally).

It does feel like a cop out to me for players that don't like night, which in my eyes is an integral part of DayZ - there are things you really can't go during daylight and place you really can't go easily either - night makes up for this.
If NVGs drop chance was lowered it would force a lot more usage of flares/chemlights which aren't hard at all but add a whole new layer of  tactical play during darkness hours.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the SA will have a forced Day/night cycle so if you want to play and it's night then that's what you get.  A shortened cycle (6 hours day - 6 hours night) would mean players in different timezones aren't forced to only play at night too.

That the best solution I can think of.  Players that avoid playing at night are missing out.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I'm hoping that the SA will have a forced Day/night cycle so if you want to play and it's night then that's what you get.  A shortened cycle (6 hours day - 6 hours night) would mean players in different timezones aren't forced to only play at night too.

That the best solution I can think of.  Players that avoid playing at night are missing out.

I strongly agree. Having realistic time is cool and all, but it really needs to be shortened. I very rarely get to experience night. 

• Like 2