Sign in to follow this  
kflo01

Difference Between MK12 SPR & M16 ACOG?

What is the difference between those 2 guns? I cant see any? Both use a fixed power scope that seems to be the same power.

IMO the MK12 looks cooler but they seem to be the excat same thing.

damn title. M16 ACOG I meant.

I think that the MK 12 is a little more better than the M16 ACOG. I found it once and I forgot if it has zeroing or not? Anyway, those scopes are both awesome because you can easily headshot someone.

The M16A4 uses a ACOG scope, which has a non-adjustable 4x zoom scope and can fire in bursts. The MK12 SPR I believe is slightly more accurate, has a different look, can only fire semi-automatic and has a scope very similar to the DMR.

Basically the MK12 is sort of a DMR but it fires assault rifle ammunition. In my opinion, I think it should replace the DMR, since the DMR is pretty damn OP in the mod.

• Like 1

The MK 12 Is nowwhere near powerful as  a DMR lol. the Mk12 uses gas power rotating bolt. So does the M16. they both use 5.56x45mm NATO rounds. Only difference is that the MK 12 is newer and has a longer range of fire. Please don't get the MK 12 and the DMR confuse.The DMR shoots a 7.62, and can shoot way further then the MK 12 can.

MK 12 is better.

the M16 is more accurate.

First of all, the MK12 is a M4 with a match grade heavy barrel, scope, and free-floating forward design. The M16 ACOG is an M16Ax with an ACOG scope. The Mk12 looks much cooler, is much more accurate, has less recoil, and can use M36 beta mags (125 rounds of ammo/magazine).

Google is your friend for the weapons in real life and for the weapons in the game.

-nevermind-

Edited by Applejaxc

The MK 12 Is nowwhere near powerful as  a DMR lol. the Mk12 uses gas power rotating bolt. So does the M16. they both use 5.56x45mm NATO rounds. Only difference is that the MK 12 is newer and has a longer range of fire. Please don't get the MK 12 and the DMR confuse.The DMR shoots a 7.62, and can shoot way further then the MK 12 can.

MK 12 is better.

the M16 is more accurate.

If you are replying to me, I'm not saying it is as powerful, but it is a designated marksman rifle I believe. It does have the same scope though I think. I'm not saying they are the same thing, but that the MK12 is basically just a DMR that fires STANAG rounds and should replace the DMR.

Isn't the MK12 more accurate than the M16? Both are AR-15s but the MK12 is sort of designed to be a designated marksman rifle, right?

• Like 1

If you are replying to me, I'm not saying it is as powerful, but it is a designated marksman rifle I believe. It does have the same scope though I think. I'm not saying they are the same thing, but that the MK12 is basically just a DMR that fires STANAG rounds and should replace the DMR.

Isn't the MK12 more accurate than the M16? Both are AR-15s but the MK12 is sort of designed to be a designated marksman rifle, right?

SVD should replace the DMR.

As for the Mk12: It has a 3-9x scope and better inherent accuracy than a normal M4. It lacks adjustable zeroing. Personally I prefer the M16 ACOG. 9x magnification isn't very helpful when your gun does low damage, the high magnification encourages you to take shots from too far away and give away your position. Also it is slower than the instant 4x zoom and stadia lines of the ACOG.

• Like 2

basically just a DMR that fires STANAG rounds and should replace the DMR.

Bro. The MK 12 is nowhere near like the DMR. Let me break this down in great detail for you 

DMR details 

DMR stands for Designate Marksman Rifle. DMR is a category of weapons. The DMR we see in Dayz is called an M14 DMR. The Mk 12 and the M14 are extremely different. 

DMR statistics                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Cartridge 7.62x51mm NATO Action Gas-operatedrotating bolt Rate of fire Semi-automatic Muzzle velocity 2,580 ft/s (790 m/s) with M118LR

175 grain ammunition[1]

2,750 ft/s (840 m/s) with M80

147 grain ammunition[

MK 12 Statistics 

Cartridge 5.56x45mm NATO Action Gas-operatedRotating bolt Rate of fire Semi-automatic Muzzle velocity 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) w/ Mk 262 Mod 1 ammunition Effective range 600 yards (550 m) Feed system 20- or 30-round STANAG Magazine

The feeding system of the Mk 12 can only take 5.56x45 mm. No other bullet it can go through to firing system. It wouldn't fit. Even if you got the bullet in the gun the barrel would implode on its self if you tried to shoot it out 

Now we see that the Mk 12 and the M14 DMR. Are to completely different guns 

Bro. The MK 12 is nowhere near like the DMR. Let me break this down in great detail for you 

So what you are saying is that it's basically just like a DMR that fires STANAG rounds then? =)

Edited by Tintorera
  • Like 1

MK12 is good for me, any 5.56 rifle basically has flat trajectory to 400 meters and Mk12 should fire a little further.. I'm not too confident at long shots, so 600 meters would be my max range. That's why Mk12 is better for me. Lower recoil, bigger magazine, but also weaker.

Edited by Sutinen

Bla bla bla

DMR is still overpowered. They should ditch it for the MK12 SPR.

So what you are saying is that it's basically just like a DMR that fires STANAG rounds then? =)

We talking about reality or in-game?

In-game, the main differences are 5.56x45 vs 7.62x51 and all that entails... 7.62 does more damage and shoots flatter, but has more recoil, more noise, and less rounds per magazine.

In reality, completely different operating system and weapons. The DMR is an accurized M14. The Mk12 is an accurized AR-15. 

Differences between a M16A4 with ACOG and a Mk12 in real life are pretty big.

The Mk12 has an 18" stainless steel match barrel that's free floated from the hand guard.

The M16A4 has a 20" chrome lined 4150 steel barrel that is not free floated from the hand guard.

The Mk12 generally utilizes a collapsible stock, the M16 has the standard A2 stock.

The Mk12 uses a M16A1 or M4A1 lower receiver for full auto and also has a 2-stage match trigger.

The M16A4 has burst fire, which is worse for accuracy in terms of consistent trigger pull, and has a much heavier single stage trigger.

The Mk12 has flip up sights with a variable 3-9x or 2.5-10x power scope, The M16A4 has a fixed front sight and a fixed 4x ACOG. Scopes are generally dialed in for bullet drop and sometimes wind, but the ACOG is designed be zeroed and left alone, using only hold-overs.

The Mk12 has a bipod. The M16A4 can have a bipod, but using it on the non-free floated hand guard can change the zero over longer ranges.

The Mk12 has a suppressor mount on the muzzle that doubles as a muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil. The M16A4 has an A2 flashhider that doesn't mount most suppressors and doesn't do anything about recoil.

So basically the only parts the Mk12 and M16A4 actually have in common are, off the top of my head, the lower receiver itself (although it's cosmetically marked differently), pistol grip, trigger guard, bolt catch, magazine release, safety selector, charging handle, the bolt carrier group, gas tube, and some small springs and detents. I believe the upper receiver in the Mk12 uses an M4 upper rather than a M16 upper, which has different feed ramp cutouts (namely, the M4 upper receiver has them and the M16 upper receiver does not). 

In-game... the main differences between the M16A4 ACOG and Mk12 will be the optic.

Edited by Skhmt

Stop threating me like I don't know my guns :P

I'm comparing the in-game versions, not real-life. This is the DayZ forums. Not a gun forum. I'm comparing the DMR in ArmA 2 to the MK12 SPR in ArmA 2. Not the real M14 DMR. Not the real MK12.

In ArmA 2, it's very similar to the DMR because of the optics, the recoil and how fast you can spam it and still get accurate shots.

Edited by dollon
  • Like 1

Skhmt

Thanks for the last post. I ws more so wondering the in game difference with the scope and such and ROF and range but that was a great read for a gun guy. Thanks.