Writhe (DayZ)

Anyone interested in going back to 1.7.6.1?

As the topic says would anyone be interested in going back to vanilla dayz on a 1.7.6.1 server? Preberably a dedicated server and not this dayz.st, hfb or vilayer bullshit? If you guys are having a good time on 1.7.7.1 that is fine, but I am sure there a lot of people unhappy with the direction of the current mod. 1.7.6.1 had its flaws, but it was definitely better than the currently buggy attempt at the game. I am just looking for some good times before standalone comes out. With 1.7.7.1 it seems as if the current developers are trying to add all this bullshit into the game, without fixing some of the real problems with the game. You can't have zombies that are super powerful at give infections every 5 hits, on a game with a shitty engine and zig zagging zombies.

I am trying to get a count of how many people would actually be interested or are just going to deal with it for now.

• Like 3

Well, the infection isn't really that much of a problem for me anymore, I learned how to avoid them and identify the viral zombies that have like 5 times higher chance of giving infection. You ever wonder why no one is really complaining about the infection as much as they did when the update first came out? That's why. People learnt how to deal with it. Just avoid viral zombies, don't let yourself get hit, and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

" but it was definitely better than the currently buggy attempt at the game"

i think thats an unfair statement seen as all 1771 did was remove bugs, add content, and make the game harder?

• Like 3

It's better to progress with the game and accept change.

• Like 3

How about posting all your ideas and complaints in a thorough post at the suggestions' thread in order to make the next patch much better than trying to get people to play an older version? Have you seen the rolling changelog for 1.7.7.2? The new gear ui? The melee quickswitch? The various network optimizations? Are you sure that's what you'd describe by "add all this bullshit into the game, without fixing some of the real problems with the game"? Devs also have jobs, and dayz is a dynamic thing which keeps evolving/testing new ideas and features. Obviously with testing comes trial and error. So if you don't like something, get active on the suggestions' thread and help the community, don't turn your back at it.

Also, surviving is supposed to be hard. Infection and super rare antibiotics is not the best way to achieve that, I concur, but it is a step forward, till new/better zombie animations can be made, until better zed spawning is available, and zombies are finally a real threat without the need of insta-infection in play.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 4

Well, go and create your own private hive and revert back.

• Like 5

These posts are great and I can see where everyone is coming from. After some thinking I feel that the problem may actually be how the game "feels" to me now.

I definitely think the game should be harder but most servers now are very laggy and desyncy (thanks to non dedicated hosts) Additionally people just roll around on the coast in a pvp fest, and you can't really find anyone up north, which in my opinion is where the good game play is at.

If you guys could suggest some good servers that would be great.

• Like 3

These posts are great and I can see where everyone is coming from. After some thinking I feel that the problem may actually be how the game "feels" to me now.

I definitely think the game should be harder but most servers now are very laggy and desyncy (thanks to non dedicated hosts) Additionally people just roll around on the coast in a pvp fest, and you can't really find anyone up north, which in my opinion is where the good game play is at.

If you guys could suggest some good servers that would be great.

pretty much in the same position as you Writhe, don't really like what 1.7.7 did to the game but I can't find a good pre-1.7.7 server due to one or more of the following reasons:

-Inactive admins

-Abusive admins

-Laggy server

-Ridiculous server (i.e. jets and tanks everywhere)

-Unstable/unreliable server (i.e. goes down randomly without warning for prolonged periods of time)

If you have any luck in your endeavors to find a decent 1.7.6 server, be sure to let me know because I have some friends who would be interested in such a server as well.  

• Like 2

pretty much in the same position as you Writhe, don't really like what 1.7.7 did to the game but I can't find a good pre-1.7.7 server due to one or more of the following reasons:

-Inactive admins

-Abusive admins

-Laggy server

-Unstable/unreliable server (i.e. goes down randomly without warning for prolonged periods of time)

If you have any luck in your endeavors to find a decent 1.7.6 server, be sure to let me know because I have some friends who would be interested in such a server as well.  

Rainbow Bandit, this is essentially what i was trying to get across but I guess it came out in the wrong way. For veterans of the game, or at least people who had payed pre patch 1.7.6.1. understood how to get away from zombies, they pretty much became no threat after you learned how to lose them through buildings and or crouch right past them. At first zombies seemed like a huge deal, but the game just had a big learning curve. I think people complained and wanted zombies to be something from zombies out of the walking dead, now the game has tried its best to emulate zombies that are very very deadly but because of the limitations of arma 2 being a military simulator this simply doesnt work. A "proper" zombie game would have zombies that scratch or bite you and then you are dead, similar to how it works in the walking dead universe, but in dayz i like to think of them as crazy resurrected people are are trying to beat you to death, so it makes more sense when they get a few hits on you and your health gets chipped away. Yes i think it should be possible to get an infection say if they cut you up and go your wounds dirty, etc but honestly it wouldn't happen every time you fight with a zombie. It's almost like they dont have a good way to actually make zombies hard, so they try to emulate it the best way possible through a dice toss, which isn't realistic at all.

Also Rainbow Bandit check your messages.

Edited by Writhe
  • Like 1

I don't think there is anything wrong with rolling back on your own server. It's good the DayZ team are experimenting a bit. I think a lot of feedback can be taken from it for the future. In my head a scratch from a zombie would infect you most of the time, at least a deep wound. So infection chances should be high but with the path finding issues it makes it hard to take. I wish the game had some sort of infected transitional state for people to go through. A chance you could become the infected.

I don't think there is anything wrong with rolling back on your own server. It's good the DayZ team are experimenting a bit. I think a lot of feedback can be taken from it for the future. In my head a scratch from a zombie would infect you most of the time, at least a deep wound. So infection chances should be high but with the path finding issues it makes it hard to take. I wish the game had some sort of infected transitional state for people to go through. A chance you could become the infected.

Yea, i understand how if they scratched you, you most likely would be infected this would be cool if implemented correctly, but what I am saying is that the game is too buggy to allow this to happen properly. Due to lag, desync, weird/buggy animations and zombies teleporting through walls, it makes the infections really really annoying. If i do get hit, I feel i don't deserve to get hit half the time. Now if i trap myself in a house thats my problem.  I rather play where I have these infected humans trying to "beat me up" thereore damaging my 12k health pool when they punch or hit me, rather than teleporting/lunging zombies applying some mystical DOT when they seem to get close.

They are trying to make this a proper game through horrible game mechanics, when the zombies have reached a point where they simply can't be made any harder without building a new engine that allows for a more fluid melee combat system.

Edited by Writhe
  • Like 1

Try Overwatch or Dayzero. Not sure about Dayzero as I haven't played it a lot but I can say that in Overwatch there is infection but it's pretty rare. I haven't gotten infected yet but a few friends have. It's probably like a 1% chance and there do seem to be some zombies that take more damage but don't have a 25% chance to spawn like the current viral zombies. I can say Overwatch is a bit more pvp oriented but it does add some more guns including the ksvk. (No Lapua I think)

Yea I have tried day zero and over watch, day zero being my favorite besides getting newer friends into the game because of the game being on expert (map markers) but I still want to be able to play standard dayz, not a game with a bunch of added guns and sounds. But gameplay wise, these mods are a step in the right direction, but they seem to be a few patches back.

• Like 1

Also, do you guys seem to realize how all standard dayz mod servers have seemed to die? Normally you would see at least 5-10 servers with 30+ people, that is hardly the case now.

Edited by Writhe
  • Like 1

This is alpha, we should all really be playing the latest build to adapt and help the devs iron out bugs.

One thing that dismayed me with joining BB was the lack of any server with an up to date build.

• Like 1

I would love a completely vanilla 1.7.6.1 private hive which I can play until 1.7.7.2 is out, one thing that really fucked up the game for me is a really easy to abuse bug that I won't mention what it is here, but now everyone is abusing and they are just as bad as the hackers. It's pretty dumb and its not even worth playing imo until they fix this bug.

Edit: Standard DayZ servers aren't dead, simply tick hide unofficial on your commander and there are several DayZ servers that haven't been tweaked at all and are 100% Vanilla with 40+ players.

Edited by Plexico

Hello there

We should be looking forward not back if you want to assist with the development of the mod, so remember the issues and give the required feedback.

You're welcome to play on early version servers or host your own but that's not helping the mod, but if you are only interested in playing and not giving back, please go ahead.

Lets' see what the next version brings.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

only patch i would play now othen than upto date is 1.7.1.5 dayz seemed best balanced then.

" but it was definitely better than the currently buggy attempt at the game"

i think thats an unfair statement seen as all 1771 did was remove bugs, add content, and make the game harder?

I feel the additional content is, for the most part, worthless and considering alot of items were outright banned, the game has changed. For better or for worse, is subjective.

I would guess 90% of players current weapon of choice is the DMR or the M14. Everything else is plain pointless unless you're starting at the coast with nothing. I believe most of the argument for removal of the AS50 and M107 was to reduce the PvP and to discourage the slaying of fresh spawns. This clearly has not changed and as with most restrictions placed into the game, players will always find an alternate way to accomplish the same thing. The killing of other players and Bambis will never stop. It's human nature.

I can count on one hand how many players took the time to build stashes. Not only is finding the materials to construct it a pita, players rather spend their time elsewhere such as repairing an aircraft. The variety of different foods and drinks are nice, but the novelty wears off. In the end, nobody cares whether you drink a coke or eat Fraggliolios as they all pretty much accomplish the same thing. 

I know the game isn't for everyone, I get that. In my opinion though, the game lacks different difficult tasks or missions to keep them compelled and interested. Regulars that have played many hours have pretty much completed everything there is to do on the map. For instance, you know what loot you'll get at a supermarket or at a crash site as even though it's random, you can already anticipate what will spawn. I believe this is the key reason many players turn to trolling or hunting others as it's dynamic and every situation can be different. 

To expand a bit on what I mean by missions or tasks, here are a few ideas. Earning skills for your character to repair items instead of merely finding a toolbox or earning points toward learning to fly aircraft with some kind of bonus and leveling system. Currently, the only situation to earn anything is the hero skin. Some other ideas would be the ability for your team to bring a power station online or repair the transmitter at Green Mountain to transmit locations of downed choppers. I just feel the game needs these changes or something like it to keep the game interesting, fun, and the players immersed.

I would guess 90% of players current weapon of choice is the DMR or the M14. Everything else is plain pointless unless you're starting at the coast with nothing. I believe most of the argument for removal of the AS50 and M107 was to reduce the PvP and to discourage the slaying of fresh spawns. This clearly has not changed and as with most restrictions placed into the game, players will always find an alternate way to accomplish the same thing. The killing of other players and Bambis will never stop. It's human nature.

The as50 and M107 were not removed for the reason you stated at all.

There is actually an interview with me and razor and some other TMW members were Razor talks about this, the reason the 50.cals were taken out was due to how they operate with zombies, they wanted to make zombies a threat in DayZ (as it should be), 50.cals were causing an issue were you can empty a city of zeds simply by firing a round off at one side of town, leave the town free to loot for anyone who wasnt the original shooter, they do plan to re add the 50's once this is fixed.

Also they were OP grief cannons, i was glad to see them go.

I dont recommend going back to 1761, nor would i play 177. Rather you should take a step forward and play DayZero, which is double the fun, more detailed and balanced.

*getting ready for the shitstorm*

I dont recommend going back to 1761, nor would i play 177. Rather you should take a step forward and play DayZero, which is double the fun, more detailed and balanced.

*getting ready for the shitstorm*

You're entitled to your opinion.

I would go back to 1.7.6.1 for one reason ... the infection.  It is always lethal, kills in 4000 seconds and the only cure is antibiotics, which are a total crap shoot to find.

I don't care if the game is difficult, but infection is not even difficult in a solvable sense. It is a clumsy and poorly implemented mechanism dressed up as difficulty, which only provides a challenge to a player's will to plod on in an MMO loot farming exercise until randomness spews out what is required.  There is nothing challenging, puzzling, or even entertaining about endlessly sniffing every spawn until the right loot appears,

I just spent four days game time infected, actively chasing any method of a cure again, rather than deliberately dying as I have done for a while now.  It was a dull, MMO-like food farming exercise, which I am not going to repeat again.  Nothing else worked, be it tent rest, other meds, warmth, only boiled water, combinations of those, all the while chasing and eating half the livestock in Chernarus.

After dying, blind luck eventually spewed out some antibiotics ... on the first day of my new spawn.  Hello randomness.  Thanks for not providing anything remotely entertaining.  I could get equally skill-less dull repetition from World of Warcraft ... but don't want to.

I've not given up reiterating my stance on infection, but hold little hope of improvement and am playing continually less vanilla DayZ.  This one feature can so easily cancel out all the marvellous entertainment from the rest of the mod.

People are "complaining" less because they simply have more entertaining things to do with their game time and are playing something else.  I am somewhat more persistent than that and believe DayZ is still great without this clumsy mistake sat in the middle of the game.

• Like 2

-Inactive admins

-Abusive admins

-Laggy server

im talking with my provider. Im trying to go back to 1.7.6.1

• Like 2

im talking with my provider. Im trying to go back to 1.7.6.1

If you have any luck, you should send me your server info so I can try it out 

Edited by Rainbow Bandit