Sign in to follow this  
slaughter_round

I'd like to see trains in DayZ

I know it sounds stupid, but it would be cool to have maybe one train per track to avoid crashing and could be used for very fast travel. Also, if someone has parked a car or something on the rails, it explodes and gets flung off the rails, but can take damage or derail.

Many thanks,

Slaughter round.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.

Very constructive.

I know it sounds stupid, but it would be cool to have maybe one train per track to avoid crashing and could be used for very fast travel. Also, if someone has parked a car or something on the rails, it explodes and gets flung off the rails, but can take damage or derail.

Many thanks,

Slaughter round.

Many people would like to see trains.

But you need to specify it more. Should it be electric? how?... petrol, why?... Coal? mine coal?.. Diesel? from where.

And its been suggested like a thousand times... 

But yes.. it would be cool :)

• Like 1

handcar.jpg

What about these? I'd be laughing my ass off if I saw a pair of survivors just going up and down the rail line.

• Like 3

I've been told that currently any train cart not being the locomotive flails around wildly, striking and killing anything nearby as it's drug along behind the leading cart. Very buggy as of yet. 

Many thanks,

Slaughter round.

There are trains, not working but there are locos and cars (wagons) on the tracks.  And as for 'very fast travel', Chenarus' rail operation does not seam to be made for much more than commuter and freight traffic.  So you're not going to see an ICE or Shikenshin barreling down the tracks.  And contrary to popular belief, its actually fairly easy to derail a train (easier the faster you go).  Yes you might see large freight loco send a pickup truck flying at a grade crossing going 80mph, but that train's being sent back to maintenance right afterwards for a full inspection and repair.  But that same train runs over a well sunk log or even a 6 inch gap in the tracks and shit will happen.

Very constructive.

But you need to specify it more. Should it be electric? how?... petrol, why?... Coal? mine coal?.. Diesel? from where.

The main problem.  How the hell do you power something.  There's no 3rd rail or overhead gantry, so electric is out of the question (not to mention the overall lack of electricity).  Petrol/gas isn't really used on anything but very small inspection vehicles or older motive power (this would probably be the best bet however for a 'train' in DayZ).  There's no evidence of any sort of steam operation or any of the required facilities to run steam, so this leaves Diesel (there's what appears to be a Diesel loco on the docks of Cherno/Electro, I probably could have just skipped to that)

Then theres the problem of actually running/starting up a locomotive.  I volunteer with a railway society, we run with small 45 ton switchers, just from that simple set up you got like 4 switches, 2 buttons, and 4 levers, and thats just what's visible (theres 2-3 hidden masterswitches that kill the battery).  Now say you just hop into the cab wanting to take a joyride, how you do start it up?  Did you remove the parking break?  Did you put fuel int he fueltank or the sand bunker?  Is the air resivour valve closed?  Alright you got it up and running, but your going in the wrong direction.  Ect Ect Ect.

handcar.jpg

What about these? I'd be laughing my ass off if I saw a pair of survivors just going up and down the rail line.

I can do one of these solo IRL (I have to stand on the sides in the middle to avoid derailing, and to work the break on the one we have),  This or a speeder would probably be the best bet of us having rail vehicles in game.

The idea seems silly, I think people wouldn't take it seriously at all.

It would be cool, but in a apocalypse, who the heck would even think of riding a train.

I think the only use for trains would be to find loot in them.

But think of all the funny conversations you'd have with people riding along on those hand carts.

Very constructive.

Propane trains, obviously.

Hank Hill would be proud.

Propane trains, obviously.

Hank Hill would be proud.

Dat boy aint right...Ill leave it at that.

I can do one of these solo IRL (I have to stand on the sides in the middle to avoid derailing, and to work the break on the one we have),  This or a speeder would probably be the best bet of us having rail vehicles in game.

This has been mentioned in the past.

And yes, handcar or speeder makes a lot more sense than a full train.

Metro 2033 railcarts ftw as trains.

j0lh14.jpg