joe_mcentire

Give us full control - Darwin's Dream

based on a reddit post: http://redd.it/1hnbj3

So quite some time ago Rocket answered the question if we would vomit because of drinking salt water on twitter with 

Can't do that in standalone, just collecting from ponds and well's

Well I say give us full control (or at least as much freedom in our decisions as possible). let us feel the real consequences of our actions. if one wants to drink his piss/salt water/gasoline one should try it. One wants to hide ammo? Hide it in the embers of a camp fire, that sounds reasonable, doesn't it? think of something like pouring water into a gas tank of your left behind car or similar actions.

the interesting thing is, you could fuck yourself by not knowing any better or fuck others by doing so deliberately. (this even got some "humanity" potential)

How far will immersion go? We cannot fill canteens with sea water? why not? Don't you think it would be awesome to give gamers as much freedom as possible to let Darwin's wildest dreams come true?

one example:

if something is liquid i should be able to keep it in any container i have at my disposal. one special key is the possibility to add any property to any given object you now want. this would be a good foundation to implement something like this.

Imagine you have two or more objects with complementary properties you could interact with them.

object A: pond (water)

properties: liquid, edible,...

object B: can

properties: container, metal,...

complementary properties of A and B: liquid+container --> use can to carry water

some other examples could be

negative ones:

• use gasoline as disinfectant
  • boil gasoline in a can
  • light backpack with lighter
  • eat grass, mudd, dirt

but also positive ones:

• use rocks to heat them in fire (natural heatpacks?)
  • burn fur of slain animals

Any ideas/suggestions/opinions?

• Like 8

based on a reddit post: http://redd.it/1hnbj3

So quite some time ago Rocket answered the question if we would vomit because of drinking salt water on twitter with 

Can't do that in standalone, just collecting from ponds and well's

Well I say give us full control (or at least as much freedom in our decisions as possible). let us feel the real consequences of our actions. if one wants to drink his piss/salt water/gasoline one should try it. One wants to hide ammo? Hide it in the embers of a camp fire, that sounds reasonable, doesn't it? think of something like pouring water into a gas tank of your left behind car or similar actions.

the interesting thing is, you could fuck yourself by not knowing any better or fuck others by doing so deliberately. (this even got some "humanity" potential)

How far will immersion go? We cannot fill canteens with sea water? why not? Don't you think it would be awesome to give gamers as much freedom as possible to let Darwin's wildest dreams come true?

one example:

if something is liquid i should be able to keep it in any container i have at my disposal. one special key is the possibility to add any property to any given object you now want. this would be a good foundation to implement something like this.

Imagine you have two or more objects with complementary properties you could interact with them.

object A: pond (water)

properties: liquid, edible,...

object B: can

properties: container, metal,...

complementary properties of A and B: liquid+container --> use can to carry water

some other examples could be

negative ones:

• use gasoline as disinfectant
  • boil gasoline in a can
  • light backpack with lighter
  • eat grass, mudd, dirt

but also positive ones:

• use rocks to heat them in fire (natural heatpacks?)
  • burn fur of slain animals

Any ideas/suggestions/opinions?

Nice ideas

ps - Joe your Avatar freaks me out everytime i see it lol

That would take a lot of work but would be pretty cool.  Would definately lead to some trolling (what doesnt?).

Don't put your box of ammo in a fire...(unless you're being robbed by a bandit at your camp)

Don't put your grenade in a fire...(unless you're being robbed by a bandit at your camp)

Don't put your jerry can in a fire...(unless you're being robbed by a bandit at your camp)

Don't put your only set of clothes in a fire during the middle of winter...(unless the clothes were infected anyway)

Don't walk barefoot over broken glass...(unless...okay I can't think of a situation to do that)

Don't put water in your gas tank, don't drink water out of a gastank.

• Like 1

I think it should be implemented after time. I mean this is a survival sim, right? You grab a pot, keep it at camp, and have to boil seawater in it. What kind of survival game wouldn't have something like this? I'm loving the whole concept of SA, but sometimes I don't get why they won't add some of the things that they should add. many things (like this) are completely reasonable....

• Like 2

Well that's kinda the thing, you can't really just boil seawater in a pot and it will be desalinized.  Salt doesn't just 'cook off', if anything the water in the pot would just get more salty as it steams, at the very least you would need a still, and I'm not even sure if that would work to remove enough salt.

I agree with the IDEA of an open to interpretation world except-

it would be hell to code. 

it would be hell to code. 

and it would be hell to code.

I hate to say it- but there will have to some limitations.  The possibilities would be exponential and that's probably not realistic.  I mean, eating dirt is one thing, but people might get creative- like making a solar still or digging a dakota fire hole.  Ultimately, its far beyond the scope of gaming- much less real world survival.  I mean, I'm ok with pretend survival because real survival can kindof suck.  Civilization is a good thing. 

Edited by TheOldManoftheNorth

indeed. i'm aware of  this. but i think they have a solid basis, at least what can be seen from afar. And that' why i also wrote 

Well I say give us full control (or at least as much freedom in our decisions as possible).

You could start with some and if this real turns out well. you could secretly sneak in more and more complementary properties to interact with different things in different situations.

Actually it would be nice to see Rocket answering this, if the concept truely sounds feasible..

Edited by joe_mcentire

dean is currently working on a "labeling of stuff" mechanic....may be of matter to this thread as well.

how about:

Open Can of beans

Can of beans + unpurified water + tomato paste + any other empty "container" = "selfmade" spoiled beans in container

"selfmade" spoiled beans in container + label "Mom's tomato beans" = evil trap for scavengers

Edited by joe_mcentire

Pick up water bottle - open water bottle - pee in water bottle - close water bottle - drop water bottle

Edited by Timboski
  • Like 2

Heating rocks is a nice idea.

Put em in your inventory somewhere and it keeps you warmer for a while.

Some things I can confirm as currently implemented:

• you can fill water bottles in bodies of water, by placing the bottles in your hand and looking at a fresh water surface

• if you go into water, your clothes will get wet. This can cause you to get hypothermia or suffer other cold-related effects. You will then need to dry the clothes, such as by being near a fire or by just waiting for them to dry. If you are not swimming, just your boots and pants get wet. If you are swimming, all items get wet.

some things that are planned/in discussion:

• swimming being developed similar to A3. But realize A3 is using DX11 and DZ is not - so some magic is required.

• cleaning items is being considered, but is unlikely due to seeming to be unnecessarily complex without any real benefits to gameplay.

• fishing is planned but nothing has been done yet

• filling salt water into bottles for nefarious purposes and "player freedom to choose the bad way", is being considered

source: http://redd.it/1l0t22

another one:

in case of gutting zeds: use limbs, intestines, remains of any kind etc to spoil fresh water or food.

another one:

in case of gutting zeds: use limbs, intestines, remains of any kind etc to Beat the shit out of players with, strangle players with, spoil food with

• Like 1

hopefully Dean is going to follow this idea and develops it further. the more freedom we can have in the game the more possibilities and the more fun of course it will be (also long-term-wise)

now also on reddit. i wanted to bring this one up again to see how it will develop..

The interesting thing is how the "property" system actually looks / will look like.

Edited by joe_mcentire

another nice idea i had was as this example: duct tape

it would be nice if we could use duct tape for all sorts of things: What if i would want to put a torch on my gun, or use it to cuff someone? you could do it maybe but it wouldn't be effective, more or less.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Well that's kinda the thing, you can't really just boil seawater in a pot and it will be desalinized. Salt doesn't just 'cook off', if anything the water in the pot would just get more salty as it steams, at the very least you would need a still, and I'm not even sure if that would work to remove enough salt.

Not nessecarially. All you would need is something to catch the steam and let in condense back into water. Its pretty easily really. just leaves all the salt behind in your pot :)

another nice idea i had was as this example: duct tape

it would be nice if we could use duct tape for all sorts of things: What if i would want to put a torch on my gun, or use it to cuff someone? you could do it maybe but it wouldn't be effective, more or less.

which has been confirmed by the latest videos and the 4chan Q&A ;)

Not nessecarially. All you would need is something to catch the steam and let in condense back into water. Its pretty easily really. just leaves all the salt behind in your pot :)

You want something that conducts heat well.

Like a piece of steel, the steam would condense quickly on that.

Or a shard of glass/ a mirror.

A knife might be the most handy to a survivor.