andrewmont

Reduce player noise on roads!

So far I love the way the mod is going however one thing that hasn't changed is that when running on a road crouched or not you make a shit ton of noise. Zeds will hear you from ages away.

If I'm looting a town in the real zombie apocalypse I want to be able to be quick but quiet! I think I'd know to try and have a lighter step when running through a town so as not to attract attention. For the next update it'd be good to make your crouched run quieter on roads so that stealthing past the zombies is actually a viable option.

• Like 4

All of my yes.

It just doesn't make sense when you're walking on grass, and you're near invisible, but when you take one step on a road, it's the equivalent of a DMR going off. I think the visibility thing is viable, because when you're on a road, there's no grass covering you or camo'ing you. :beans:

• Like 1

I never seem to have a problem, and that is saying something when it comes to stealth.

It has been this way in DayZ since the start, you just have to be careful... think of DayZ as a mix of Assasins Creed and Dead Rising.

• Like 1

I never seem to have a problem, and that is saying something when it comes to stealth.

It has been this way in DayZ since the start, you just have to be careful... think of DayZ as a mix of Assasins Creed and Dead Rising.

I don't think that's a very apt comparison. You can't say you feel that the amount of noise you make moving on a road makes any sense at all?

I agree with this absolutely, for example coming down off the hill towards the military camp at Starry. If you are heading for the town there are stone slabs outside of the town if you step on them you might as well just start full out running.

• Like 1

I completely agree with the OP. If a person wanna be sneaky-peaky he should then never use roads in the first place. It is like, whenever you get on a road, it is kinda decided that zeds will start raging at you from everywhere lol..

• Like 1

all of my yes. there isnt a great stealth element in the game. personally i think you should be able to find gear that some how makes you stealthier, soft rubber shoes makes your footsteps softer, camo actually helps with zombies not seeing you, woodland camo and guillie camo on guns help with that too.

• Like 1

I can understand how your footsteps would be loud if you were running on pavement or inside of buildings, but why is it so when walking? :o

Or as most people call it, and it's primary use, sneaking.

Edited by Very Ape

I can understand how your footsteps would be loud if you were running on pavement or inside of buildings, but why is it so when walking? :o

Or as most people call it, and it's primary use, sneaking.

Problem is the walking in this is so slow. If there was a half walk half run speed designed for sneaking so as not to be noisy that'd be great. I mean let's face it if you were sneaking around a city in zombie apocalypse you'd move quietly but certainly faster than a leisurely stroll :)

• Like 2

cant say i ever noticed runnning on a road was alot louder but now you mention it i can think back and it happend alot

The community dev team is gonna come to this topic and say "it's fine"

I don't see the need to change this aspect of the mod.

There are two speeds for each stance, and three stances, not counting the prone barrel-roll. Each one has a different sound rating and I believe time of day does not change this rating. If you plan on crossing concreted areas or roads, it should be up to you to choose the best stance/speed for the situation, rather than change the whole mod for everybody to suit your style.

If you want to get technical with the "realism" call, you can even experiment at home! Crouch run for a couple of hundred meters, then cross your street in the same stance and let us know how loud your steps are. Guarantee your feet will be slapping the asphalt because your legs WILL be tired.

I think it depends on the road. I have a road outside my door. I barley make any noise when I run on it. But a few blocks away there is a older road and the whole block knows when I run on that one.