ScouterIV

Laser Pointers?

I was watching the news about Egypt and I saw a flurry of green laser pointers. So I thought "that would be funny if they had those in DayZ". Then I thought about that more; they could be used by players to temporarily blind people, weather they be in cars, helicopters or on foot. It could have a bright green (or red) flash on the screen followed by a blinding effect that would last a few seconds. I don't think it would be that OP because in order to aim at people's eyes, they need to be facing them, and the victim would see the source of the light as the user tries to aim it. Seeing that they are high-powered lasers, they would only be in military areas and/or maybe factories.

Edited by ScouterIV
  • Like 4

It would actually screw up night vision even if you don't get it in their eyes (natural, and Im sure it would be worse with a pair of NVGs on). Here in Hawaii we have a problem where people screw with the Coast Guard for some stupid reason. One thing they do is shine a laser pointer at the cabin of either the C130s or the Helis they use right when they're taking off or landing or just on patrol. Forces them to abort their mission/patrol and land, and then they have to cycle in a new crew for the mission, usually there aren't enough crews so they just have to abort all together. So far they haven't caught anyone.

Does sound like a good idea, won't cause an 'insta crash' but could be a good means of discouraging airborne threats or snipers. If they add them as attachments to weapons too that might be a good thing, never know if the person shining a laser in your eyes is a poorly armed scavenger trying to scare you away or a Sniper drawing a bead on you.

Battlefield ftw???

Nice idea but to have a really good effect you should have to aim pretty well and hold it there for a second or two, just swiping across the face shouldn't be enough. An NVG should protect you from the effects since it will likely break immediatley.

Snipers won't be much of a threat anyways in the SA if they can really control the spawn rate of military grade hardware as well as flying with the ToH physics, limited fuel and there will be no gunship around anyway.

There won't be any vehicles or high end weapons at the start anyway in standalone, but they will be adding them in eventually. But a good sniper can kill just as well with a Mosin Nagat as he can with an AS50. Shining it in the eyes would be enough to at least disorient a person.

If they do add in laser pointers, maybe we can use them against zombies some how. New Distraction perhaps? Or maybe a means of reducing a zombie's sight aggro for a limited time (30 seconds maybe?)

Maybe you can use them to play with zombies like they're cats. :P That'd actually be pretty sweet, getting the Zombie 1 skin for your profile, go to server, and start shining the laser pointers at everyones face whilst screaming "FEAST ON THE NON-BELIEVER, MY MINIONS!" I think that would be cool, hard to aim, but as a last resort, it could work out pretty well! :beans:

if you have nightvision on, you can see that the L85 has a laser marker

I would love to see something like that in DayZ, even as a way to silently signal an ally regardless of distance (Within reason).

Edited by GBTP

The more ways I can troll people in dayz the better and this sounds good. + 1

Came into this thread ready for sillyness, but I actually like this idea. Marking locations, distracting zombies, and blinding people would make a laser (and the batteries it uses) very useful. I like the multiple uses it has. Laser beams show up in NVGs, don't they? Better be quick if you're going to be blinding someone in the dark with them, lest they use it to find you.

This is probably the wrong topic to ask this, but it could be related. Was it ever said that we could turn on a flashlight, drop it on the ground, and it'll stay on? Could see this as either a distraction at night or a means of having hands free light. With a laser pointer I could see it being used as either a beacon or something for someone with NVG. 'I put my laser pointer on the ground near my camp facing the city, you can follow the beam to my camp.' or as a trap.