gavin0101

Buying a macbook, need suggestions

Okay, i'm a huge apple fan and I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything like that and I just like macbooks all around appeal. The macbook i am buying has the following: MacBook Pro with 2.2 GHz processor 4 GB of RAM 160 GB hard drive Nvidia geforce 9400m. I also have another option of a macbook pro with 2.4 GHz intel core 2 Duo, 3gb of ram, and nvidia geforce 8600m. Which would be better for DayZ? I know no body out there that is a hardcore gamer likes macbooks. I know everyone will say build your own pc. I don't want the macbook for strictly gaming, I just want to know which one would be better for DayZ and what would be the estimated FPS I would get?

Edited by gavin0101

No, this should not be under DayZ General Discussion.

Edited by Beck

No

Didn't realize you couldn't answer my question just because it's not in the right section.

Edited by gavin0101

Thanks for not helping what so ever.

Thanks for posting in the wrong section. ;)

Chances are standalone won't run on overpriced crapple macbooks. crapple's choice of mobile cards equivalent to a 9400 and 8600 gt don't help either -- especially given the premium price tag.

Buy something real instead of something that "looks" cool, is overpriced, and is limited by what it can do.

Best suggestion ever:

Don't buy one!

That is a perfect example of the non-helpful kind of responses that I don't want to get. I never said up there that it was an option for me not to get one. I just want to know which one would be better, thanks!

If anyone out there is literate and can see the question I am asking, It would be much appreciated if you would answer the actual question I am asking.

does it have to be exactly a mac book?

Yes, those are my only options.

Yes, those are my only options.

what do you mean by that? As in only options. I have seen windows laptops at the same price yet offering more features and is osx really worth getting when you get a terrible graphics card? I am not even going to bother with a desktop vs laptop argument.

Edited by Blondedash

what do you mean by that? As in only options. I have seen windows laptops at the same price yet offering more features and is osx really worth getting when you get a terrible graphics card? I am not even going to bother with a desktop vs laptop argument.

My uncle owns a macbook repair shop and he has those two that he will sell me for a super cheap price. I could not go buy any windows computer and get as much. Unless I could find a windows laptop with nvidia graphics card and more then 2gb of ram for $250 or less. If you can link me to a computer like that be my guest. :)

Unfortunatly, gaming computers do not come cheap these days. I'm currently saving for a rather nice Alienware x51, (yes, I get that's overpriced, yes I get I could build my own at a cheaper price, but No I do not have the time to do so) You might be better off saving for either buying or building your own system as cheap as $500 I believe.

unfortunately Apple computers are not made for gaming, none of them. They have fancy looks but their inner parts are not really that good, and they still cost about thousand dollars. So if you want to play DayZ i recommend you to stick with building your own system.

unfortunately Apple computers are not made for gaming, none of them. They have fancy looks but their inner parts are not really that good, and they still cost about thousand dollars. So if you want to play DayZ i recommend you to stick with building your own system.

Okay, I get that but I know that I can play it on low settings pretty smoothly, I've been looking around and I know that much atleast. I'm not to worried about whether I can game on it or not because i'm not a hardcore gamer like I said, I'll mainly just need it for college. I just wanted to know which one would play DayZ better.

Okay, I get that but I know that I can play it on low settings pretty smoothly, I've been looking around and I know that much atleast. I'm not to worried about whether I can game on it or not because i'm not a hardcore gamer like I said, I'll mainly just need it for college. I just wanted to know which one would play DayZ better.

Neither, but that said the 8600m is around 55% better all around than the 9400m. So go with that one and buy 2x4gb sticks of ram. Hopefully that will breathe new life into it.

Unfortunatly, gaming computers do not come cheap these days. I'm currently saving for a rather nice Alienware x51, (yes, I get that's overpriced, yes I get I could build my own at a cheaper price, but No I do not have the time to do so) You might be better off saving for either buying or building your own system as cheap as $500 I believe.

http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28219 Do not buy from Alienware there are much cheaper PC's that you can customize from many different websites that come fully built use the one I linked, much cheaper and better service.
  • Like 1

You will not get an enjoyable FPS on either of those Macs no matter what settings you play on. Just a shot in the dark but 5-15 FPS at best.

-Derick

Well this thread is certainly giving me a hernia(Alienware's, Mac's, prebuilt's, oh my!). Anyway's, ARMA 2 is very CPU-intensive, so I guess shoot for the 2.4 GHz model?

Sorry, but I can't really recommend either of them. Even though you're not a 'hardcore' gamer, it might be worth just building a medium range rig to run a good range of games on. Also if you care about OSX that much, then run Hackintosh of of it.

Edited by chunkeymonkey79

It doesn't work like that. If you run your settings anywhere below high, the game puts the entire load on your CPU, and with a crapple 2.0ghz CPU, your going to crash and burn.

Don't buy one.

You're welcome.

Toshiba Satellite lasts longer, with more power. You can't play DayZ on a Macbook pro.

Toshiba Satellite lasts longer, with more power.

You act like Toshiba is the only good brand out there.

Trust me, there are much better gaming laptops out there.

Sure you could argue they're cheap as dirt, but Satellite edition laptops just aren't made for gaming.

You act like Toshiba is the only good brand out there.

Trust me, there are much better gaming laptops out there.

Sure you could argue they're cheap as dirt, but Satellite edition laptops just aren't made for gaming.

I didn't say gaming laptops, did I? Don't put words in my posts that don't exist. I know they aren't made for gaming, asshole. But name me ONE other brand of laptop that lasts 7 years before anything starts dying or breaks.

I didn't say gaming laptops, did I? Don't put words in my posts that don't exist. I know they aren't made for gaming, asshole. But name me ONE other brand of laptop that lasts 7 years before anything starts dying or breaks.

I think you need to work on your anger management skills, seriously.