Aporis

I and Many other Demand Change!

KoS...

Killing on Sight is so common these days with the private hives, normal survivors are an equivalent of a Bandit these days, even some Hero guys kill on sight to stay alive, because everyone has the same idea, if i dont shoot him first hes gonna shoot me.

I totally revamped the subject.

So I maybe have come up with a solution, that may reduce killing on sight. And is desrcibed below.

How are we supposed to solve the problem of KoS?
By reducing it! But how? By making people to care more about their characters. By actually making people more willing to survive

On Standalone one way to make people more willing to survive is to actually get some reward from it. possibly you could use better equipment, be a bit harder to be spotted by the zombies as you have learned how to sneak better, can withstand thrist and hunger better and maybe withstand lower blood levels better so you wont pass out so easily as your body has already kinda got use to the low amount of blood.

Maybe you would not get exhausted so easily when you sprint or run long distances and witch results into bit more steadier aim. These are things that would maybe add peoples willingness to survive Days, maybe weeks of ingame time but these are not too OP benefits, just making the survival a bit more easier like in Real life, you get used to it, you learn to adapt.
Witch could lead that alot more people would be more willing to cooperate as they both benefit from it.
And the game is both PVP-PVE, how awesome would it be a massive clash of servers bandits vs Survivors and Heroes. How to get these small benefits is by surviving Day at a Time.
Edited by Aporis
  • Like 2

Killing on sight will still occur, no matter what you change.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 6

remove weapons and make it farming simulator with zeds - no KOS.

only some road kill with tractor or harvester

Edited by V3C1C
  • Like 3

remove weapons and make it farming simulator with zeds - no KOS.

only some road kill with tractor or harvester

There will still be damage though. What happens if I drive my tractor into yours?

• Like 3

KOS will never stop. It's an important part of the game.

Maybe with some of the new mechanics in the SA there will be a small dip in numbers of people that KOS but anyone expecting it to be a nirvana, where we all band together for the greater good is going to be sorely dissapointed. It's not the game's fault, it's human nature that's to blame, good luck changing that.

• Like 5

There will still be damage though. What happens if I drive my tractor into yours?

we will call police and they decide :)

• Like 3

This is true, but hopefully in standalone it will be contained to a homicidal few and not every person you bump into.

• Like 1

Because there are no consequences for actions there will always be KOS ... and even in an Apocalypse there will be those that shoot first and ask questions later ... regardless of the consequences.

You can't change the game in anyway to remove KOS ... what you have to do ... as in real life, find like minded people and work together to stay alive.

I am a "Hero" because I helped a lot of people in the beginning and was constantly playing with the same group of people, when the group disbanded due to conflict, I moved off on myself. On the odd occasion I have helped a fellow player who I could trust ... on many occasions I end up getting killed on my way to help someone or because it is a trap. Nowadays I am more cautious ... no matter how bad the person needs help, I will do a proper recon of the area and make sure it isn't a trap ... if the crap hits the fan, I run ... it is my life and I choose to protect it. :)

KOS is here to stay, do I do it ... NO,do I condone or support it ... NO, do I understand it ... NO, do I accept it as part of the game and change my tactics to suit the situation ... YES!!!

• Like 3

but anyway - if people will start to speak with other there is lot more chance to avoid KOS. If no one speaks than you can not really understand situation and what might happen next. People are scared from strangers.

of course there is "friendlies" who will shoot you in back - but these are just bad people.

I think a common miscommunication of the term "Kill on Sight" is a reason why people tend to talk about it as if it would be the same as pvp.

For me KoS means that I shoot everybody that I dont know without making any assumtions, weighting risks or having a thought about it. PvP is an important aspect of this game. Nobody would play it for longer if it would be just PvE. The difference to KoS is, that I shoot people for a reason.

You shoot me because you are starving? ok

You shoot me because you feel very uncomfortable because I dont lower my AK? ok

Problem is that people just shoot you cos they can. You get no ingame reward for letting someone live, but the player interaction, that many players dont seem to value at all. I got shot so many times with my crossbow/hatchet/nothing in hand that i cant count it. Some days ago someone got chased by zeds and screamed "friendly friendly dont shoot" at me and my mate and we let him go his way. 5min later he sneakes up on us and kills us both with his M14 just for the lols. He had far better equipment than we poor fellas -.-"

I can understand people are mad about absolute non-sense killing and I hope we find a way to encourage player-interaction in the SA.

And i can only repeat my brother in mind: Guys if you want to be bandits be more creative than just shoot people over!

Edited by EndEffeKt

Killing on sight will always occor, its a player driven survival game.

Take that away and it wouldn't be DayZ.

The problem with the robbing mechanic of banditry is that people are too willing to open fire. There is essentially zero value attached to your characters life, in regards to the mod, so if someone came at you telling you to relinquish your weapons, you're more likely to turn around and open fire on the guy than give away all your loot.

• Like 1

atleast there should be some way to degrease the numbers of KoS right now its somewhere between 80-90% i really hope there is someway to degrease it down to 50%-60% i never hope that it would stop completely its one of the key things in DayZ. So please don't get me wrong i've been playing DayZ for a Year now

The best weapons for zombie killing are the quiet weapons (melee) because a gunshot only attracts more zombies (and other players who may be KoS as well). The axe, machete, crowbar and baseball bat also never run out of ammunition, the perfect weapon against the zeds. We know all of this...

So what are all of the dozens of other weapons for? Many of them are long range guns that can kill well outside of the "zombie spawning radius". Their purpose is to kill other players, because nobody sits on a hilltop snipeing zeds (especially at 500 meters when they're not even triggered to spawn.

Okay, so we know that as well.

Well, then if you limited the number of guns that spawn in as loot, and perhaps increase the numbers and variety of melee weapons (to make it interesting) - then you'd have a new system in place where players would (if they chose to be KoS players) have to be up close and take more of a personal chance against another player with their "multiple hit necessary" melee weapon. That increased personal risk would force players to be more courteous to their fellow survivors.

But, of course, there's no limit to powerful guns in the game, so you can forget that idea.

Another twist would be to limit the amount of ammunition that spawns in. That would force the KoS gun-crazy players to only want to target OTHER gun wielding players (for their ammo!) and leave the axe holding players alone as "unworthy" to waste bullets upon.

If you were walking around a zombie apocalypse with ONLY 6 bullets, I'm pretty sure you'd think twice about casually shooting other players.

We've arrived at the psychological point of this longwinded reply: "Why would players opt for killing on sight over cooperative play?"

I honestly think that in this world of texting and indirect, anonymous interactions, that many of the younger players are simpky not experienced with simulated in-game "face-to-face" cooperative gameplay. It is both awkward and scary for those players to communicate, albeit remotely, with other players. Negotiations for them are easier with a trigger, than with words.

It'd be interesting to see how a server of "older" players interacts as compared with one of much younger players.

• Like 12

The best weapons for zombie killing are the quiet weapons (melee) because a gunshot only attracts more zombies (and other players who may be KoS as well). The axe, machete, crowbar and baseball bat also never run out of ammunition, the perfect weapon against the zeds. We know all of this...

So what are all of the dozens of other weapons for? Many of them are long range guns that can kill well outside of the "zombie spawning radius". Their purpose is to kill other players, because nobody sits on a hilltop snipeing zeds (especially at 500 meters when they're not even triggered to spawn.

Well, then if you limited the number of guns that spawn in as loot, and perhaps increase the numbers and variety of melee weapons (to make it interesting) - then you'd have a new system in place where players would (if they chose to be KoS players) have to be up close and take more of a personal chance against another player with their "multiple hit necessary" melee weapon. That increased personal risk would force players to be more courteous to their fellow survivors.

But, of course, there's no limit to powerful guns in the game, so you can forget that idea.

Another twist would be to limit the amount of ammunition that spawns in. That would force the KoS gun-crazy players to only want to target OTHER gun wielding players (for their ammo!) and leave the axe holding players alone as "unworthy" to waste bullets upon.

If you were walking around a zombie apocalypse with ONLY 6 bullets, I'm pretty sure you'd think twice about casually shooting other players.

We've arrived at the psychological point of this longwinded reply: "Why would players opt for killing on sight over cooperative play?"

I honestly think that in this world of texting and indirect, anonymous interactions, that many of the younger players are simpky not experienced with simulated in-game "face-to-face" cooperative gameplay. It is both awkward and scary for those players to communicate, albeit remotely, with other players. Negotiations for them are easier with a trigger, than with words.

It'd be interesting to see how a server of "older" players interacts as compared with one of much younger players.

This guy gets beans...

Comon yall op, this the most discussed topic but the most discussed topic that never gets new nor will it. KOS is part of the game. But not just this it needs to be part of the game. It is one of the most important threats to the player, both in physical and existential sense.

Nobody is compelled to any action in DayZ but most people harbor some basic instinct of self-preservation. The most dangerous competition is that of equal claims to scarce resources. How these claims are staked is what DayZ is so damn good. So many simple classic scenarios, the nature state (natural life is short, brute nasty, cooperation overcomes this) the prisoner dilema (don't know if he is going to betray me first, so i will act first), the tragedy of commons (every person has equal claim to beans the outcome is scarecity/conflict) etc...

Nurfing KoS in any fashion is a direct detriment to the game.

Edited by Trizzo

One of the better posts I've seen on this subject, have some beans. I entirely agree that a large part of the frequency of KoS players is down to the abundance of weapons and ammunition, and would very much like to see how the game would play if these were drastically reduced.

I think your assertion that older players are less likely to shoot on sight has a lot of mileage, although obviously we both know it'll never be that black and white - there are older players who enjoy the whole KoS thing just as there are younger players who will go out of their way to help a complete stranger.

My personal theory is similar to yours - older players will obviously tend to have more life experience, and through their jobs or their home lives, they'll be used to situations where the only way of asserting control of a situation is through communication and behaviour (as tempting as it might be, you simply can't deal with a difficult client with a few rounds from an AK47!). That kind of thing will translate into DayZ - a player who's confident in their ability to control a situation without resorting to violence is going to be much more likely to use those skills than someone who doesn't have that experience and confidence.

I do agree that it would be very interesting to see how a server full of older (25+) players would compare to a server full of younger (14-17) players and how much interaction took place and what forms that interaction took.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 2

hey hey hey slow down, wait a minute! i hope you know what you are talkin' about, tractors you say? which one do you drive?

fun fact I: the last question happend to be a pick-up line stated by a woman to an old acquaintance of mine (yes in an alpine disco-bar)

fun fact II: Lamborghini actually became notorious for building tractors firstly, later on and way after WWII they started to build cars..

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Maybe give the people another option. For example in TLR you are able to knock out people with a pistol. Then you could sneak up, knock him unconcious and then rob him.....normally NO ONE will drop his backpack and weapon without a fight! Even if they have no chance on survival....

I play on NewBambiCanda, found a Stryker tank and killed some 12 ppl in one evening by runing them over or ramming them in their vehicles.

Only by traveling location Kamenka-Cherno-Elektro-Berezino. One even offered to donate 10 uSD to the server if admins could arange for him to kill me :)

My point: you must adopt. I always walk thru woods, never on roads and drive on side roads rather than main roads. Nobody ever kills me on road.

Keep stealthy and you will not get KOS.

If you run thru town like you own it...die!

I don't know about anyone else but in dayz, I kill people when they give that funny look. I especially kill people who yell, "friendly." Ninety percent of the time, these are people who will shoot as soon as you turn your back on them.

This game itself provokes people to be a ####. There is no reason to keep other player alive. There is no any penalty for pk and nobody even knows the name of the killer. Bad people surviving more than good.

Edited by strayhound

When the Standalone is released I'm sure Dean will cry out "Havoc!".

You can't force players into doing something that prevents shooting on sight. I try to give everyone I meet the benefit of the doubt..but sometimes they just want to PvP.

You'll be suprised how friendly people are when they need something from you like, say, antibiotics?