Muncywolverine

Viral Zeds need to be easy to indentify.

Currently the only way to tell is via how much damage they can take. I think they also look a little bit more bloody/unkempt - but a more pronounced difference is needed.

How about we take the shirts off the viral zeds? If there that more dangerous... they should look different.

• Like 2

Not a bad suggestion, but this would make the survival much easier, and that's not what we're looking for IMHO.

I think they do look different. From what I've found their faces have a green tint to it and they have a large amount of blood splatter on their shirts. At least, that's how I've been identifying them.

• Like 3

Yes, at the moment I only can surely tell if the Zombie got bright clothes, so you can see the blood. I would really prefer better identification of the viral ones. Yesterday I tried to stop one with an arrow to the chest. Ignores it and gives me the kiss of death -.-" Wouldve run or take him down with my .44 if I knew he was a viral.

How about we take the shirts off the viral zeds?

Any excuse!

• Like 1

Any zed can infect you but viral zed s are easy to identify

They are the ones covered on blood like you said but yeah a little more to identify them from a distance mIght be good as well

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

but a more pronounced difference is needed.

Why?

(ps: they are darker and more bloody)

Now the next encounter you will doubt yourself, use a safer zombie disposal option, aim for the head or pay closer attention to the zombies. All of this draws you into the world. Being able to immedatley and accuractly assess every threat, 100% of the time, makes the game boring, sterile and perfunctory.

Yes, at the moment I only can surely tell if the Zombie got bright clothes, so you can see the blood. I would really prefer better identification of the viral ones. Yesterday I tried to stop one with an arrow to the chest. Ignores it and gives me the kiss of death -.-" Wouldve run or take him down with my .44 if I knew he was a viral.

A few problems with this...

* Why should any zombie die from an arrow to the chest? Because it's expected due to understanding damage values? Becuase its happened before? 1 hit kill wonder arrows are a bit silly.

*Why not aim for the head anyway? You thought you were choosing the low risk->low reward route (easy body shot on normal zombie) but you incorrectly assessed the threat and were punished for it Now thats dynamic, if not damn poetic. It might not be fun but it's an experience, experiences have far more value than fun. A few more of these happenings and you'll be a pro Xbox headshoter. It depends if you value trial & error turning into rich reward & experience or rinse-repeat-Xbow-insta-gib gameplay. I feel DayZ should cater to the former.

*Consistenty gauging threat level by different colours or shirts is off putting, not nautral. Why should every different coloured zombie take X or Y amount of damage. Not saying that every zombie should be random, gauging how healthy or "viral" something looks should be done through more means than colour. Making threat assessment in a survival sim take more than a microsecond is probally in the flavor of it.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 6

A few problems with this...

* Why should any zombie die from an arrow to the chest? Because it's expected due to understanding damage values? Becuase its happened before? 1 hit kill wonder arrows are a bit silly.

*Why not aim for the head anyway? You thought you were choosing the low risk->low reward route (headshot) from incorrectly assessing the threat. Now thats dynamic. It might not be fun but it's an experience, experiences have far more value than fun. Bet you won't do that again, the next time you go to Xbow a zombie you'll apporach it like a vertan.

*Consistenty gauging threat level by different colours or shirts is off putting, not nautral. Why should every different coloured zombie take X or Y amount of damage. Not saying that every zombie should be random, gauging how healthy or "viral" something looks should be done through more means than colour but making it difficult to asses threat level makes the game interesting.

I dont want to go too deep into "realism" arguments here, because we all know in what mess such topics end ;-)

My main problem as a crossbow-user is that it is already freaking difficult to even hit a running zombie in the toe, so aiming for the head is (at least for me) pretty much impossible, if the zombie is not standing still 5 feet away from me. Maybe its more my unsatisfaction with the effeciancy of the crossbow vs. viral zeds that spoke in my post :P Yes it adds to the athmosphere if you can not always truely judge the viral nature of the zed, but sometimes it just feels kind of random to me at the moment. If we would find a reasonable and authentic way to remake their models I would still be in favour for that.

Or...give them red/yellow clown suits and big flashing neon signs on heads that say VIRAL ?

• Like 1

Or...give them red/yellow clown suits and big flashing neon signs on heads that say VIRAL ?

wanted to say make them naked with boner but yours is better :)

I dont want to go too deep into "realism" arguments here, because we all know in what mess such topics end ;-)

My main problem as a crossbow-user is that it is already freaking difficult to even hit a running zombie in the toe, so aiming for the head is (at least for me) pretty much impossible, if the zombie is not standing still 5 feet away from me. Maybe its more my unsatisfaction with the effeciancy of the crossbow vs. viral zeds that spoke in my post :P Yes it adds to the athmosphere if you can not always truely judge the viral nature of the zed, but sometimes it just feels kind of random to me at the moment. If we would find a reasonable and authentic way to remake their models I would still be in favour for that.

Hell yeah some models and animation would be nice but done right, sutble differences. Viruals struting walking with more 'confidence', upright where infected who are on the way out slouched. Most zombies would fall in the middle somewhere.

Unless they did it this patch im not sure the Xbow zeroing was fixed. It is stupid as hell, it aims high, even at one dozen feet. I don't know why it's bugged, it should be fixed. Best 'fix' i saw was get a non permanat market, aim at a big wall, fire Xbow, put a dot mark on your screen where the puff of the bolt impact is, that is now your 100% accurate Xbow crosshair.

Edited by Trizzo

I thought they were pretty obvious already tbh

2vvwa36.png

• Like 10

Yeah, make titties dangerous!!!!

If it's easy to remodel some zombies without bugging the mod, they should make the harder ones to have some visibe bullet holes, to indicate that others put some bullets in them but didn't kill them.

I confirm that for the right pair in the picture, but that dark-sweater wearing one left is not that easy for me. If it crouches or crawls it gets even more difficult.

Absolutely not in imho they shoule even be less visible, becau taht adds to the fear and tension.

Absolutely not in imho they shoule even be less visible, becau taht adds to the fear and tension.

I don't quite see the reason behind that. If you want a higher chance of infection, we dont need an extra zed-type to generate fear. We could just set the infection-rate of all zombies to like 40% and thats it.

If there is an extra zed-type it should be identificable or we dont need it.

The difference between the two types seems clear to me, maybe it'll just take a little time for some people to learn to spot them.

• Like 1

I don't quite see the reason behind that. If you want a higher chance of infection, we dont need an extra zed-type to generate fear. We could just set the infection-rate of all zombies to like 40% and thats it.

If there is an extra zed-type it should be identificable or we dont need it.

He never said he wanted a higher chance of infection, although the virals will have a higher chance of infection next patch , this isn't the point. If you cannot immediately decipher the type of zombies in a crowd of them this adds to tension, fear of the unkown or if a big threat is lurking close by, therefore fear. This is precsiely why every zombie should not be easy to detect, we have a much boader scope of emotions and the option to asses risk vs reward.

Currently the only way to tell is via how much damage they can take. I think they also look a little bit more bloody/unkempt - but a more pronounced difference is needed.

How about we take the shirts off the viral zeds? If there that more dangerous... they should look different.

Yeah, more works needs to be done to make viral zeds identifiable, especially since they're going to get a boost in the hotfix. A unique sound would perhaps be best the way to go about it.

Edited by Cadian412

They should reduce the health to 8000 blood. I literally tried wasting my precious .308 rounds to a zombie that chased me for 100 meters. Takes it to the chest like a boss and keeps running at me. Hilarious.

They should reduce the health to 8000 blood. I literally tried wasting my precious .308 rounds to a zombie that chased me for 100 meters. Takes it to the chest like a boss and keeps running at me. Hilarious.

zeds are not humans they can take as many bullets in chest as they want :) anyway if zed is chasing you close distance (5m) then its kinda very dangerous to even try to kill him on open field unless you are with hatchet. With hatchet just stop and one stroke him.

With gun I try only when they are behind me around 20m +

Viral Zeds need to be easy to indentify.

They are easy to identify.

zeds are not humans they can take as many bullets in chest as they want :) anyway if zed is chasing you close distance (5m) then its kinda very dangerous to even try to kill him on open field unless you are with hatchet. With hatchet just stop and one stroke him.

With gun I try only when they are behind me around 20m +

He was running from 100 meters away and I shot him in the chest. Players get knocked out from one .308 and since zombies can't get knocked out, they should die.

Edited by Sutinen

I installed TF2, took Sniper, zoom in and sticky little circle from micropore to my monitor. I know ... I took very long, boring route, but it helped me^^.

2vvwa36.png

Now this is very precious photo for a newbie like me. Thanks for the picturesque illustration of the difference between the viral and non viral zombies^^.