PooPoo

Do you just kill anyone you don't know?

So I'm new to DayZ. Have had it for about a week now and finally got the hang of things like how to scavenge properly and get guns quickly. Ran into my first armed human the other day while I was scavenging and he started shooting at me. I tried to run and he saw this but still tried to shoot me. Later died from zombies. I remember seeing some DayZ youtube videos called Don't trust anyone or something like that where they trust someone and they die. Thought it was all for jokes and fun.

So I kept playing "nice" ran into one guy in a tower. Zombies were coming up the stairs and we were holding off at the stairwell. I kept trying to go up and he was firing some revolver shots and blocking the way. I got hit a couple times so I turned around and killed the zombies. I got the distinct feeling he was trying to let zombies kill me by blocking the stairwell so I turned around and killed him. When I looted his body I found out he had no ammo, if he did he probably would have killed me, but since he didn't he was hoping blocking me would get me killed by zombies.

After that I ran into 2 more people but just killed them ASAP. Is this considered BM or something??? Or is it just the norm?

• Like 2

It's what everyone does these days, yes. What I tend to do is unless the person notices me or opposes a threat to me and my group, then I leave them alone. If I need their loot I'll try to rob them, if it doesn't work I'll kill them.

Edited by xeezy
  • Like 3

Yes, it's the norm.

No, it isn't right. I'm friendly, too much so really. The only time I kill someone is if they're sitting on elektro hill sniping.

Edited by langile

yeah, unfortunately it has got to a point where if you dont kill someone they will try to kill you. it seems that in the standalone they're doing as much as they can to stop this mentality and that's what i really wanna see. it really diminishes the vast amount of gameplay outcomes that dayZ could possibly provide :(

• Like 2

I don't try and kill everyone I see, I try and stay out of their way. If it comes to a point where I have no options I kill.

Its normal. Every now and then though u come accros a good guy that will help u out, the only people u can trust are real life friends.

It's what everyone does these days, yes. What I tend to do is unless the person notices me or opposes a threat to me and my group, then I leave them alone. If I need their loot I'll try to rob them, if it doesn't work I'll kill them.

As I'm reading this I just killed another person, another guy tried to ambush me with a pistol, but I killed him. Thank god his aim was atrocious, he shot probably 15 rounds and none hit me

I agree with people too. I wish I didn't have to kill people, and could just work together since it would be more fun. Since I don't have friends who play, it would be nice to play with others without having to watch my back all the time

Edited by PooPoo
  • Like 1

IF I seem someone with better shit on them then me, I kill them. If I see anybody within 100 meters I kill them.

I don't. I've only killed one person who hadn't shot at me and posed a serious threat, and I still regret that kill. You can definitely play friendly, but that doesn't mean stupid. Stay in cover when interacting with people, keep your distance, offer them help to get things started, and if you have doubts, leave the situation as quickly as possible.

• Like 3

The problem is that when people start playing the game ALOT, zombies become less and less of a threat until theres no challenge to the game other than of course PvP, where as games like this are supposed to be more PvE(Player vs. Environment). People need to be challenged more in this game, it probably seems difficult enough to noobies due to the unfriendly inventory and controls. Watch some of frankieonpc's videos, i like the way he handles situations with other players. He tries to get in close and makes contact but always stays at an advantage.

Edited by {420}Mr.Smiley
  • Like 1

I've gotten to the point where I'm so bored of shooting on sight that I've started offering help to people and giving them free shit, however, as soon as I see any signs of hostility they're cleanly dispatched and I carry on as normal ;) just because I'm friendly doesn't mean I don't take cover and stay alert to avoid getting backstabbed.

You guys have got to get off regular DayZ if this has become the norm.

• Like 2

With this new patch it seems that everything is changing. Ex; if you kill fresh spawner you just gonna waste a bullet that could have killed a zombie that had beans in his belly..

It really depend now, sometimes I really new to kill those agro freaks ..

I've never been a player killer - and I've been at it for about eight months. I've played on official and private servers, and I rented and administered private hives running just about every map for the past five months. Player interaction, while subjective per player and largely determined by the variables of any given encounter, is ultimately settled or more appropriately rendered, by consistent player behavior. Essentially, a "good" or friendly player will most always risk life and gear to aid another, while the "bad guy" will shoot on sight, ambush or grief for enjoyment sake. Of course, there are plenty of inadvertent murders borne by sudden run ins and the result of two armed paranoid survivors coming into contact. Nothing sinister about that.

All of the above bantered, I would advise that you've more to gain long term by giving other players a chance - in terms of making potential new friends - rather than mowing down every bipedal being you encounter.

• Like 3

Usually yes but sometimes I don't as sometimes friendly reactions can lead up to funny stuff. But it's up to the person whether or not they shoot there are no penaltys to killing randoms other than a skin.

It's a chain reaction. Everyones killing everyone cause "everyone" got killed by other people,so now everyone are cautious and kill everyone. EVERYCEPTION

• Like 4

You guys have got to get off regular DayZ if this has become the norm.

I don't see why people have to conform to your playstyle.

I kill people within 300 meters, because at that distance they could be a threat and give away my position.

If my squad comes across someone with gear or supplies we need, we kill them. We are an un-friendly squad, it is how we enjoy playing.

If someone is to get on dayz and then be ridiculed by people like you on how they have fun, AND be playing legit withous hacks.... well, maybe it is you that should get off regular DayZ.

When I play Halo multiplayer, I like to snipe. Maybe you like to go in guns blazing. Should I stop playing Halo? No, we just have different ways we like to play the game.

• Like 1

The problem is that when people start playing the game ALOT, zombies become less and less of a threat until theres no challenge to the game other than of course PvP, where as games like this are supposed to be more PvE(Player vs. Environment). People need to be challenged more in this game, it probably seems difficult enough to noobies due to the unfriendly inventory and controls. Watch some of frankieonpc's videos, i like the way he handles situations with other players. He tries to get in close and makes contact but always stays at an advantage.

funny - becasue everybody is bitching arroud now that the Infected have become a real thread to take care off...

i just hope this PVP-Cod-Kiddies go back to where they came from :)

There's not a great deal to do in DayZ in the grand scheme of things, and Rocket has said himself that they are trying to rectify this in Standalone so that you can work together to complete tasks, instead of opting to kill other people through boredom.

Whether it works or not remains to be seen, but I for one hope it does. Interactivity is what makes this game great - there's no game like it when it does interactivity and social interaction right. If Standalone doesn't address the current issues, I might look elsewhere. We'll see how it develops.

• Like 1

Respect to you classic bandit

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Pretty much sums up how I play along with the the no killing people in the same Teamspeak Channel rule. (With a few exceptions, there are some people who frequent the same Teamspeak I do that I just despise.)

Edited by Lockmar

Assuming you don't want to murder, stay on public servers, so bandits are more easily pegged. Killing a bandit extracts no murder penalty, so just kill them on sight. You could make that your job, or not. Bandits can server hop "non-official" servers and spawn with a survivor skin on each one.

As a non-murderer who wants player interaction, play it by ear, which means always use direct voice with anybody you've spotted. If you trust the voice, trust the player. If you don't trust the voice or he doesn't respond, just stay away from him. If you trust him and he kills you, no big deal.

You've maintained your game "integrity." Death and restarting is part of the game. He'll probably soon earn a bandit skin and then you can consider him a cow, to be slain.

If you're good enough, and take the first bullet from him, you might manage to kill him and suffer no penalty.

The downside to this is he doesn't have your kill to score him as a bandit, which he clearly is if he betrayed your friendship.

If you play as a murdering bandit, you want to kill everybody on sight unless they are mates of yours.

BTW, part of the voice/trust deal is trying to detect if who you are trusting is teamspeaking behind your back.

First thing to ask is if he is speaking to friends. If he says yes, that's good, but no guarantee he or one of his friends won't backstab you. If you pick up cues he's lying, and talking to friends, leave him or expect to die.

I talk to every non-bandit I see

if they do not respond or go instant defensive, I will most likely just run