Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

New handgun damages need changing

Gews, have you tried them in game yet? i was testing the m1911 and makarov out earlier and they didnt seem any different to normal, to kill a zed took about 6-7 body shots with the makarov and 4-5 with m1911,

I checked the code and what you say is right but the in game results are different for some reason.

No I haven't even played 1.7.7, I'm just looking at the code. I don't want to risk playing DayZ again until I buy some get working headphones, I'm basically deaf right now.

I'll probably jump into a random server and test it... but the code says only the Mak and .45 are affected (as well as the .50 ammunition), so I trust that...

Look Gews

As long as we do not go back down to the 689 or 988 blood damage everything that wasn't a shotty/sniper/AR im fine

Just lets not get the new revolver damage nerfed that's all im asking

That's fine, 1911 can stay at 4500, whatever, I just want the 9x19 bumped as well. Personally I'd put the 1911 somewhere in the 3,800-4,000 range.

(also when considering damage values relative to other weapons, remember ArmA doesn't take tumbling/fragmentation into account - a 5.56 is considered as simply a .22 moving fast, no extra damage effects)

Edited by Gews

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, buuut, I seriously doubt R4Z0R will even see/consider this.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, buuut, I seriously doubt R4Z0R will even see/consider this.

Hope he proves me wrong.

why do you think he won't see it?

why do you think he won't see it?

Because razor doesn't come on very often, and when he does he only looks at the threads concerning the latest patch. At least most of the time he does.

Pretty sure we'd have way cooler stuff in the mod if razor did check the suggestion threads often.

Reported this as a new issue on Github a few days ago, but the issue was closed today with an "interesting" comment:

Everything has to be balanced. This is a low priority
MattzFiber closed the issue 8 hours ago

Nonononononononononono.

No.

No.

I know right... Ur4WajU.gif

Next sniper rifles will shoot flares and bolt actions will be significantly more powerful than semi-automatics...

Well that depressing to hear.

If it's not fixed in the next update or two I'm gonna make more identical "issues" just for the hell of it, get some attention paid :lol:

While the coding is unbalanced, the actual effect is zero at the moment. In 1.7.7.1, all pistols (with the possible exception of the revolver, although I think that too) are doing 889 damage. It has taken me two rounds of an M1911 to kill a viral. But yeah there is a problem with the balance issue at the core of it.

For those wondering, the damage system works like this:

• Each bullet has a raw damage figure, ranging from (I think) 4 to 12 at the moment
  • Multiply the raw damage by itself
  • Multiply squared number by 55.55

That is the final damage number. So for instance, in 1.7.6.1 - I'm using pre 1.7.7 values because coding atm does not match results - the PDW did 4 raw damage.

• 42 =16
  • 16 x 55.55 = 888.8

The Lee Enfield, does 12 raw damage.

• 122 = 144
  • 144 x 55.55 = 7999.2

So for people saying, it should do x amount less damage than that gun, here are the possible values (up to 12000) that a bullet can damage. Using rounded values:

Edited by WBK

...Wait, so do the .45 rounds do more damage than 5.45 rounds now? That can't be right.

the Average .45 acp (colt 1911 ammo) is a 230 grain bullet where the 5.56(aka .223) nato ammo of a M4,M16,AR15, G36, etc is on average 55 to 72 grain. Odds are at close range I will drop you with 1 hit to the body with a .45

If they would use a ballistic calculator based on real-world numbers, then a lot of these issues would fix themselves.

Impact energy is based off of 1/2MV^2

Damage to target should be based off of Energy x ETR (Energy Transfer rate) x LDM (Location Damage Multiplier)

ETR is based off of how fast a bullet's energy is transfered to a body (formula needed). Hollowpoints do more ETR since their cross-section is greater.

LDM is based off of how damage affects a body's location (formula needed). A headshot transfers a greater proportion of damage than a leg shot.

Bullet drop, time of flight, impact velocity, and bullet drift are all part of real-world calculations.

So the only thing that has to be created by the devs is the ETR & LDM formulas. Once that is done, weapon & ammo combinations along with bullet travel and damage are easily calculated & tweaked.

Edited by SpudmanWP
  • Like 1