Deacoon

Why is everyone I meet an ***hole?

I will say a little story. I was already killed like 3 times that day and I respawned at west side of Cherno, so I decided to go there and loot the church and red/orange buildings. So I went and about 200 meters away from the city I hear gun shots. Someone was killing zeds around him. I proned trying not to be seen. The problem was he could actually see me pretty well because the grass was not rendering that far (I too saw him with no grass around). I realised he was shooting zeds along the direct way to me. He was running in crouch along the shore so I turn my back and started to ran away because I realised I was his target the whole time. He could saw I had the small backpack and no weapon in my hand. When I started running he shot me in back.

And another story just from the next respawn: I saw through buldings a guy going along the road, I hit the deck (had no gun again) but somehow he managed to spot me. I was ignoring him and tried to make it to another building which was the other direction. Still one eye on him after a moment of hessitation he started walking towards me.. with a HATCHET! He clearly must have saw I had absolutely nothing, he still tried to chop my head off. I started running around trying to get some zeds on me so he would stop following me. It was successful but a little while later he found me again while I was bandaging from his damn hatchet. Died again.

That day I was killed about 5 times in one hour because I didn't have a weapon and no gear. But! I was still worth killing. I don't understand that, I was no threat to either of them nor I had anything valuable which must have been clear on the first sight.

Good to mention they didn't try to contact me in the chat. I wanted to but I realised it was the sure thing - they wanted to kill me; I still couldn't do it, 'cause I was busy running.

I get killed quite a lot and it's not by confronting someone oh no it's by some cowardly dickhead camping their asses off in a bush! What's even more annoying is that they never seem to aggro a zombie.

its hard to stop banditry when every single mechanic in the game favours banditry over surviving.

This in a nutshell. For all his defense behind remaining neutral, rocket continues to neglect that he's not bringing PvP to ArmA2, he's bringing survival to it. ArmA2 is all about killing and conquering, DayZ tries to bring in survival, and the people neglect it. No other FPS out there has done survival, not even STALKER. It's because survival as is legitimate is boring. It's a lot like Minecraft: You can build your house and find diamond, but then what? Surviving in the world is boring, so people turn to griefing/banditry for fun.

And no, I've never been shot for my gear, just shot because I was a player, so don't give me the "you have better stuff" argument because it holds no water to me. Maybe some people do, but I've never tangoed with them. All I've dealt with are snipers spamming the now removed side chat with "faggot down" type comments. I don't think I've been killed by anyone other than someone with an M101 since the new patch, and they were in the fire tower in Elektro. Again, why be in Elektro if you have the best gun in the game? To grief of course.

Of course nobody will read page 13.

When there were servers with PvP killing DISabled, they would be more frequented than the current servers.

I've been playing EverQuest II from 2005 to 2011 in a hardcore raiding guild on a PvE(nvironment) server. There is a good reason why many people prefer them in opposition to PvP... you can enjoy the game without being bothered by idiots who just jerk off by annyoing other people.

The current servers simply are PvP servers, that's all.

I think there's a good chance the game will end up left just to the trolls/bandits. At the moment there's not much in it for friendlies after the initial thrill of perma-death.

I think there's a good chance the game will end up left just to the trolls/bandits. At the moment there's not much in it for friendlies after the initial thrill of perma-death.

This is the future I see too, just like Face of Mankind. It boils down to the highly prickish few and eventually the mod dies from existence because nobody wants to deal with the community. Even rocket gets sick of being associated with the "hardcore" or the "veterans" so I wonder how long until he throws his hands up and tells them to make it themselves.

If there are social parts added along with side tasks and even build a settlement/or series of tasks to get certain towns to be taken back by humans then we will see a shift.

The question that needs to be answered is what do you do when you have 2 tents and good deal of loot/weapons,....this is where players will dip into player killing because they ran out of things to do. If there is a way to build a settlement, then there would be a challenge and many would jump on this. There will also be the few who simply want to watch the world burn...there is no hope for them..maybe a Zed will eat them......

The problem, as I see it, is that the "veterans" who have played the mod for a while are becoming bored as there aren't much for them to do except PVP. And the new players therefore quickly learn that the only way to play is to kill or be killed.

I hope that there will be a content patch soon that change the game dynamics from PVP to coop.

If there are social parts added along with side tasks and even build a settlement/or series of tasks to get certain towns to be taken back by humans then we will see a shift.

The question that needs to be answered is what do you do when you have 2 tents and good deal of loot/weapons' date='....this is where players will dip into player killing because they ran out of things to do. If there is a way to build a settlement, then there would be a challenge and many would jump on this. There will also be the few who simply want to watch the world burn...there is no hope for them..maybe a Zed will eat them......

[/quote']

You have the ability to build settlements now, make some friends outside the game because no one is going to fully trust you in game as a stranger.

Once this mod goes live then clans will form and that's the best way to stay alive in game by sticking with your group.

Making friends with strangers in game might work for short periods but at anytime they can and will stab you in the back. Making friends outside the game means that someone will hold you accountable for your actions in game.

The problem' date=' as I see it, is that the "veterans" who have played the mod for a while are becoming bored as there aren't much for them to do except PVP. And the new players therefore quickly learn that the only way to play is to kill or be killed.

I hope that there will be a content patch soon that change the game dynamics from PVP to coop.

[/quote']

Actually some of the things the arma veterans are doing is running about having a laugh trying to teach.

It's kinda masochistic but still fun and ultimately better when they get it.

(Seriously, N/D's and panic fire?.... chill out dude)

Give us a chance and we'll eventually get you up to proper sniper teams with a spotter, cover and shooter.

Virfortis will still be here too. He says what he see's and he's not stupid.

Just got to say that the assumption that coop/groups would lead to less PvP is interesting. There is 0 evidence of that, and it is impossible in the current game. The only thing you could do is to make it impossible for players to shoot one another (e.g., guns dont work on humans only Zeds). And that would ruin much of the game.

The odd assumption that a group of people are somehow less likely to kill others...odd. Instead of one Bandit, you have 25. Are 25 B's less likely to shoot than 1? Odds are, they are MORE likely to kill on sight--they know their clan and they know you aren't in it.

Just saying that a push to force people into groups may not have the effect of lessening PvP and may in fact make it worse.

The question that needs to be answered is what do you do when you have 2 tents and good deal of loot/weapons' date='....this is where players will dip into player killing because they ran out of things to do. If there is a way to build a settlement, then there would be a challenge and many would jump on this. There will also be the few who simply want to watch the world burn...there is no hope for them..maybe a Zed will eat them......

[/quote']

You have the ability to build settlements now, make some friends outside the game because no one is going to fully trust you in game as a stranger.

Once this mod goes live then clans will form and that's the best way to stay alive in game by sticking with your group.

Making friends with strangers in game might work for short periods but at anytime they can and will stab you in the back. Making friends outside the game means that someone will hold you accountable for your actions in game.

and if we ask so that we don't need clans to hold players accountable, we get flamed D:.

luck of the draw try find a server in region you may like US/EU/etc I try to get irish servers personally without word chat its hard to judge the mood in general of the server though

I love how you all assume real life would be so different. I think people overestimate the human race.

why do you assume it wouldnt be? I wouldnt like to meet the people who think human beings would devolve into mindless killbots if the zombie apocalypse ever occurred. you strike me as a potential psychopath just itching for a release.

human beings are so powerful because we co-operate under stressful situations. this is not an opinion' date=' its an observed fact. just open a history book.

i have no doubt that some people would kill another if it meant their survival, but no where near the levels which are happening in the game right now. its a blood bath. do you honestly believe a true to life zomapoc would be like this? everyone shooting everyone on sight?

or are we only using the realism argument when it suits us?

[/quote']

Contrary to my previous post to you, I now completely disagree! Oh the irony.

Have you ever read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? Given your rather peachy view of humanity I suggest you do. Without spoiling too much, it depicts an apocalyptic world (zed-less, but still). And the acts of atrocity that some of the humans commit are absolutely mind blowing, and I don't see them being too far fetched either.

People keep making this argument that humans work well as a team and that humans perform well together under stressful situations. I feel thats a totally altruistic approach, a philosophical ideology I do not subscribe to. I think humans are intrinsically egoistic, both from personal experience, but also from reading so much Hobbes.

You can say that we co-operate under stressful situations, well there's a good reason for it. Co-operation breeds strength in numbers, and therefore protection. Human beings are willing to sacrifice a small amount of freedom to do whatever they want in order for protection. Just look at society. We submit to rules and regulations in order to receive protection from the government. Look back a thousand years to cavemen, and you had tribes. When there was no incentive to work together, no dangerous circumstance that had arisen, they fought each other for land, resources, meat and women basically. We're animals. We coalesce into a society because its in our own best interests to do so.

EDIT:

Can't remember who said it, but whoever it was said that we are simply bound by mutual benefit. It just so happens that being in a society not only benefits ourselves, but others as well, so its in both our best interests to do so. When there is no mutual benefit, well then. Look at Day Z.

I have to admit it is getting rather tiring to see so many bloodthristy bandits out there. It's hard to communicate with the direct chat for more than just the initial scared, "I'm friendly!"

It would be nice to see a party system that would grant information about where the bandit that killed their party member is for about 1 minute.

It would be nice to have some information about who killed a corpse so that you could adjust routes and watch your back.

Frankly' date=' I think you're a bitch, and you're making bandits look bad.[/quote']

And this is why you have no credibility to your statements, because instead of being able to debate something, you do nothing but throw insults to strawman your weak argument.

We see the same threads every single day, all these people crying because they lost their items or someone pretended to be friendly and shot them for their supplies. Who cares? Stop crying to the forums every single time you have to start over and start looking at WHY you lost your items.

[/quote']

and if we ask so that we don't need clans to hold players accountable, we get flamed D:.

Because it's the entire purpose of the mod. It's supposed to be hostile and unforgiving, and very isolated feeling. Every suggestion in this thread has been towards making things like friends lists and invisible karma counters, browser based bandit boards, etc. Not one person has mentioned the fact that the only way you will ever make PVP less lucrative is by making the main purpose of the game more difficult. Be that making ammo extremely scarce so that bullet you're about to fire is as valuable as gold to you, or ramp up the zombie difficulty to the point where we need to band together to make it off the beach even.

Until then, all these features are a waste of time to even discuss.

Just got to say that the assumption that coop/groups would lead to less PvP is interesting. There is 0 evidence of that' date=' and it is impossible in the current game. The only thing you could do is to make it impossible for players to shoot one another (e.g., guns dont work on humans only Zeds). And that would ruin much of the game.

The odd assumption that a group of people are somehow less likely to kill others...odd. Instead of one Bandit, you have 25. Are 25 B's less likely to shoot than 1? Odds are, they are MORE likely to kill on sight--they know their clan and they know you aren't in it.

Just saying that a push to force people into groups may not have the effect of lessening PvP and may in fact make it worse.

[/quote']

You are only held accountable for what you do within your own group so at least it's much less likely that your mates/buddies will stab you in the back because the group should hold them accountable for their actions.

Being with a group in the game does make you safer because that sniper that has you in his cross hairs will receive a world full of hurt and lose his gear if he pulls the trigger..

Snipers are basically cowards and its a no brainer for him to take out someone playing solo but he will think twice before popping a cap on someone who has friends with him.

And this is why you have no credibility to your statements' date=' because instead of being able to debate something, you do nothing but throw insults to strawman your weak argument.

We see the same threads every single day, all these people crying because they lost their items or someone pretended to be friendly and shot them for their supplies. Who cares? Stop crying to the forums every single time you have to start over and start looking at WHY you lost your items.

[/quote']

Are you stoned or deliberately ignoring the actual points in my post?

Currently you can't differentiate your best friend from an absolute stranger in this game without using external VOIP to confirm. You can walk RIGHT UP to some one and still have no idea who he is, even if he's some one you know very well.

And this is why you have no credibility to your statements' date=' because instead of being able to debate something, you do nothing but throw insults to strawman your weak argument.

[/quote']

Are you stoned or deliberately ignoring the actual points in my post?

Currently you can't differentiate your best friend from an absolute stranger in this game without using external VOIP to confirm. You can walk RIGHT UP to some one and still have no idea who he is, even if he's some one you know very well.

If he's someone you know very well then he should already be on your external VOIP to tell you who he is. Extraneous time consuming addons aren't needed for something we already have a solution to. Besides that, I told you pages ago that I agreed that the skins need lots of work, a point you have ignored every single time you post.

If he's someone you know very well then he should already be on your external VOIP to tell you who he is. Extraneous time consuming addons aren't needed for something we already have a solution to. Besides that' date=' I told you pages ago that I agreed that the skins need lots of work, a point you have ignored every single time you post.

[/quote']

Yea I'm going to have the 100's of people I could potentially know all in one VOIP server. Stop being a fucking moron. There's a *reason* everyone just plays with their 3-5 players and KOS'es everyone else, AND THIS IS IT. You can't recognize anyone, so you only group with whoever you can fit in VOIP while not filling the channel with noise.

You say "skins need a lot of work," but having tags for your group (a SIMPLER solution) is too much work. You're clearly the kind of guy that enjoys the anonymity, which is why I called you a bitch.

If he's someone you know very well then he should already be on your external VOIP to tell you who he is. Extraneous time consuming addons aren't needed for something we already have a solution to. Besides that' date=' I told you pages ago that I agreed that the skins need lots of work, a point you have ignored every single time you post.

[/quote']

Yea I'm going to have the 100's of people I could potentially know all in one VOIP server. Stop being a fucking moron. There's a *reason* everyone just plays with their 3-5 players and KOS'es everyone else, AND THIS IS IT. You can't recognize anyone, so you only group with whoever you can fit in VOIP while not filling the channel with noise.

You say "skins need a lot of work," but having tags for your group (a SIMPLER solution) is too much work. You're clearly the kind of guy that enjoys the anonymity, which is why I called you a bitch.

And this is why I disregard everything you say. You act like a child. You want tags for your group, that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Random anonymous assholes are still going to drop you & your group at range, and none of your suggestions will help with that. You say it's for the small percentage of players who join groups only to backstab and turn on them? So instead of fixing the numerous problems in the game you want him to add a feature to negate one of the most defining features of the game?

Grow up.

i was walking down some stairs earlier and my legs just fucking broke out of nowhere. people dont hate you this game is just shit

It's called osteoporosis.

Simulators gonna simulate.

I just recently started playing this game' date=' but I haven't met a person yet who hasn't tried to kill me.

I've tried talking to them over the voice chat, and typing directly to them. I never get responses except for maybe them shooting in my general direction.

I understand this is a game of loss and frustration most of the time, but having EVERY person I meet try to kill me is crazy. I've seen videos and read things on here of strangers helping each other out and teaming up. What happened to it? Why does everyone just want to kill me for no reason?

[/quote']

people do not want to die, they just really like staying alive.

by killing/attempting to kill you, they save themselves the risk of being killed/injured themselves, and they have the possibility of gaining gear that will allow them to live longer

even though it is kind of frustrating, it is unfortunately how most people would act in a real situation like dayz

basically, everyone you meet is an asshole because people are assholes.