xath

Patches "vs" SA? (Legit Question)

I'm loving what I'm seeing coming with the upcoming patch, honestly, but I've a question.

My question is serious/legit. It's not meant to be sarcastic or "snarky":

Why are such large patches with so much attention being given to the mod currently with the SA on the horizon?

Is it a sign that the SA is still a way off?

Or is the team just "split-up" so that some are still working on updates and improvements to the mod as it stands?

It's been a long time since I've played and I cannot remember if something was stated about this, except that ongoing improvements would be made until the SA was released. I've played hardcore almost since the inception of DayZ, but gave it up a while ago due to all the problems with hackers, certain horrid bugs and a lack of real meaningful updates at the time.

So I'm asking to re-inform myself and to see if there's indeed any relation or not between the work going into these patches and the release of the SA, or if it's just there are certain team members it was "handed over to" (as I think I remember hearing it) while Dean did his thing on the SA.

I'm considering going through the hassle of a reinstall at this point, while waiting for the SA, unless it's coming up soon, and getting back on some vanilla servers (I'm not into all the other things DayZ has "turned into", though some of it looks impressive) again.

Thanks, and again, this is not to nag about the SA nor is it a sarcastic question.

• Like 1

Features being developed for the SA are tested on the public mod first, so Rocket knows (more or less in his own words), "Whether an idea is stupid or not."

The mod is now community run. R4Z0R is leading the charge but a lot of people are contributing to it. Hopefully it'll live on after the Standalone is released and I think it will thanks to the amount of maps available. There's always room for 2. :)

• Like 2

The mod is now community run. R4Z0R is leading the charge but a lot of people are contributing to it. Hopefully it'll live on after the Standalone is released and I think it will thanks to the amount of maps available. There's always room for 2. :)

Also, the SA will be basically featureless on release, compared to what we're used to and what's to come.

For folks who aren't keen on a bare-bones DayZ experience like SA, the mod will keep rolling.

• Like 1

The community took over development of the mod about 9 months ago so the dev team could focus entirely on standalone, as a result the mod has no effect on the standalone.

Edited by SmashT

Features being developed for the SA are tested on the public mod first, so Rocket knows (more or less in his own words), "Whether an idea is stupid or not."

Ah, I see. Thanks for that info. It makes sense to do some things that way, I suppose.

The DayZ patches are community-made. Rocket only approves them.

At least, that's what I've gathered.

Again, thanks for the response. I remember hearing something as such, but could not remember.

Sure, always room for more, no doubt ;)

So it's almost completely community run, as well as being used to test out some new basic features... if I put together these responses.

It does definitively answer the question that there's no connection between the patches and any timeline regarding the SA, if things are mainly community-made at this point, so I think unless we hear the SA is coming soon for the general public, that I might go ahead and jump back in, see what's what with this latest patch (if it's out yet).

It's not that much of a chore to install so I don't see why you wouldn't. I can't speak to whether or not concepts are actually being tested or not, I just know it's community run and you or I could add to it if we had the skills and desire.

One tip though, find a good server. Just avoid the public hive. You'll have more fun if you can find something close to vanilla.

• Like 1

Also, the SA will be basically featureless on release, compared to what we're used to and what's to come.

For folks who aren't keen on a bare-bones DayZ experience like SA, the mod will keep rolling.

Exactly. It's going to offer an entirely different flavor of DayZ when compared to the standalone. I'm not going to rush out and uninstall Arma2 when the SA comes out. The mods of the mods will live on and hopefully it'll make the jump to A3 and new and fresh maps will start popping up. Gotta love the ArmA community. :D

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

One tip though, find a good server. Just avoid the public hive. You'll have more fun if you can find something close to vanilla.

Yeah, I've found a few private ones that seem decent. One I jumped on briefly a while back was great, classic DayZ experience.

Exactly. It's going to offer an entirely different flavor of DayZ when compared to the standalone. I'm not going to rush out and uninstall Arma2 when the SA comes out. The mods of the mods will live on and hopefully it'll make the jump to A3 and new and fresh maps will start popping up. Gotta love the ArmA community. :D

I get ya, and I'm with ya.

I'm all up for the bare-bones experience of the SA at first either way and, as you've said, perhaps the mods will make the jump to A3 with some new maps.

I think the biggest thing for me is the SA being far more zombie-centric, since I'm a hardcore zombie freak and always "all about the zombies", with the added human threat still being there. That's the new "flavor" I'm looking forward to the most. ;)