When I heard of the addition of Utes to the DayZ map, I thought that boats and ships would finally get more use. But the boats which are in the game don't have much inventory slots, so after looting utes you might not be able to store all your loot. Then I thought: Why couldn't you bring your car (or even Ural) to the island? There are no amphibious vehicles in vanilla DayZ, so why not split it up? Car ferries could be used to store your loot and just use them as boats, but you could also put your precious car on there to load even more loot- and also Utes itself isn't small, so a vehicle could make sense to use there. What's your opinion on this?

Btw, I don't mean huge ocean ferries but smaller ones like this:

Ferry_1b.jpg

• Like 4

Don't you mean floating bases full of choppers and .50 cal turrets placed everywhere?

Edited by DayzForumer
  • Like 3

Don't you mean floating bases full of choppers and .50 cal turrets placed everywhere?

Did you even read the post?

He said the ferries would be for cars.

• Like 1

Did you even read the post?

He said the ferries would be for cars.

Well it wouldn't stop players from mounting every weapon they find on it until they capsize wouldn't they? Years of playing don't make me think much different. It's always the biggest handgun, the biggest rifle, the biggest car, the biggest tank, the biggest helicopter, the biggest plane, the biggest dick, the biggest ship, the biggest intercontinental missile...If Utes was that far away which it would make sense. Utes does have streets, what i wouldn't understand if they take the island 1:1 with the airfield on it because there are already lot's of airfields on Chernarus and financially a rural country would have a difficult time maintaining expensive facilities.

Well first of all, a helicopter wouldn't even fit on these types of ferries.

And I don't recall DayZ ever having or planning to have mountable LMGs/HMGs.

Maybe Later in the game you can bulid stuff. Such as a raft. You can hook the raft onto your boat and somehow tie the care down onto the raft and boat across! Same thing with helis. You could have a rope from the heli tied onto the car and carry the car over via helicopter

Well it wouldn't stop players from mounting every weapon they find on it until they capsize wouldn't they? Years of playing don't make me think much different. It's always the biggest handgun, the biggest rifle, the biggest car, the biggest tank, the biggest helicopter, the biggest plane, the biggest dick, the biggest ship, the biggest intercontinental missile...If Utes was that far away which it would make sense. Utes does have streets, what i wouldn't understand if they take the island 1:1 with the airfield on it because there are already lot's of airfields on Chernarus and financially a rural country would have a difficult time maintaining expensive facilities.

There's three airfields on the Chernarus mainland (At least in the playable map). Only two of them are 'military' and one of them is paved (the international airport.) Utes, being pretty far off of Chernarus, would be a great military staging area considering it's owned by the Chernarussian government. The facilities on Utes are there because Utes is the main military portion of their military, they need somewhere to house troops. And even then, they aren't THAT expensive to maintain, it's barracks, a few hangars and an aircraft control tower.

Ferries sound like a good idea. After you spend hours filling it up with gas that is.

As Death Dealer said, the ferries wouldn't even be big enough for helicopters. Secondly, I'm praying that they don't add .50 cal turrets. I just want them to be civil ferries to just transport cars and people.

I think floating bases would be a pretty cool way to play... Build a tent and a campfire and put your car there, drive to the edge of the map and eat some beans while watching the sunset.

Edited by Firewarrior64

It may be just me but:

Thinking of the idea of being able to anchor it in the middle of the sea, basically as a base, would be extremely cool.

You could put other boats next to it, vehicles and storage on it.

There are enough spots where vehicles could board/disembark (The piers @ balota etc, but probably also just the beach).

Since they will be adding more different kinds of housing/storage (Underground bases), why not make it possible to do such a thing on the sea?

The ocean in ArmA 2 just ist vast enough...imagine 500 players having the same idea and 50 logging in simultaniously almost falling off their boat due to shock because they spawned next to eachother...

You're acting like there would be 500 ferries per server. I'd only expect to see 1 or 2 max.

When I heard of the addition of Utes to the DayZ map, I thought that boats and ships would finally get more use. But the boats which are in the game don't have much inventory slots, so after looting utes you might not be able to store all your loot. Then I thought: Why couldn't you bring your car (or even Ural) to the island? There are no amphibious vehicles in vanilla DayZ, so why not split it up? Car ferries could be used to store your loot and just use them as boats, but you could also put your precious car on there to load even more loot- and also Utes itself isn't small, so a vehicle could make sense to use there. What's your opinion on this?

Btw, I don't mean huge ocean ferries but smaller ones like this:

Ferry_1b.jpg

i personally wouldn't stash gear on a boat.

way to open and exposed.

if i was a bandit i would fly the waters looking for people that think they're safe.

i thought you could put gear in boats?

Maybe Later in the game you can bulid stuff. Such as a raft. You can hook the raft onto your boat and somehow tie the care down onto the raft and boat across! Same thing with helis. You could have a rope from the heli tied onto the car and carry the car over via helicopter

why would you ferry a helicopter?

Edit: just fly it!

Edited by radivmoe

i personally wouldn't stash gear on a boat.

way to open and exposed.

if i was a bandit i would fly the waters looking for people that think they're safe.

i thought you could put gear in boats?

That's what makes them balanced. If you are far enough from the coast, bullets can't hit you and people would either not even try to get there or die from cold while trying to swim to your boat. If someone has another boat or a helicopter, you would be screwed though. And flying the waters looking for people that think they're safe wouldn't make sence in my opinion, because it would be just one or two ferries per server...

Well first of all, a helicopter wouldn't even fit on these types of ferries.

And I don't recall DayZ ever having or planning to have mountable LMGs/HMGs.

A helicopter can indeed fit on that ferry.