Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Light machine gun comparison

Or general-purpose machine guns, whatever...

We need some of these hats in DayZ

Q9uv4qm.png?1

On to the comparison:

HANDLING

Normally I would say this isn't important, however in this case the differences are large enough to be noticeable.

RPK-74 = 1.21

M249 = 1.21

Mk48 Mod 0 = 0.67

M240 = 0.51

The Mk48 is quicker than the M240, both the 7.62s are slower than the others.

DAMAGE

Range------RPK-74--------M249-------M240/Mk48 Mod 0-----

0--------------2,720---------3,500-------------8,000------------

200-----------2,045---------2,620-------------6,630------------

400-----------1,535---------1,960-------------5,490------------

600-----------1,150---------1,470-------------4,550------------

*figures rounded to the nearest multiple of 5

From the RPK and the M249, the 5.45 and 5.56 are actually quite similar in damage.

The 7.62x51 weapons are far superior in damage to 5.56 and 5.45 and have a large chance of knocking people out. At the muzzle they do over twice as much damage, and the lead only increases with distance (at 600m they do three times as much). This is a huge advantage.

lIIw1hu.jpg

ACCURACY

This isn't important with these weapons, all are more than adequate. Normally I would make spread pictures, but I don't consider it important here. These guns work best in bursts, so the most important factor is recoil.

M249 = 1.5 mils

RPK-74 = 1.2 mils

Mk48 Mod 0 = 1.1 mils

M240 = 0.8 mils

RATE OF FIRE

RPK-74: 600 rpm (10/sec)

M249: 860 rpm (14.3/sec)

M240: 850 rpm (14.1/sec)

Mk48: 850 rpm (14.1/sec)

All except the RPK-74 are about the same. With these guns I much prefer a higher rate of fire, I feel I'm able to get more rounds on targets.

RECOIL

Very important for these weapons. Recoil is as follows:

RPK-74

4/10 standing

3/10 prone

M249

5/10 standing

3/10 prone

Mk48 Mod 0

7/10 standing

4/10 prone

M240

8/10 standing

5/10 prone

To me, the one that feels the most controllable is the RPK-74 since it has a lower rate of fire, but the M249 is about the exact same. It just spits out more bullets in the same time, causing more rise in the same time. The RPK-74 has slightly different values for the semi-auto mode (both 4/4)

The M240 has a bit more recoil than the Mk48 Mod 0, that's a plus for the Mk48.

AMMO

-The M240 and the Mk48 can only use the 100 round M240 belts.

-The M249 can use M249 belts as well as every type of 30 round 5.56x45 magazine.

-The RPK-74 can use 75-round drums as well as every type of 5.45x39 magazine.

Some people prefer the M249 because of the ability to use 30 round magazines. That's nice, but if I was limited to 30 round mags I would consider ditching the weapon for an M4 or something more versatile. 30 round mags take up more space and get used up fast. I wouldn't take an M249 or an RPK over one of the 7.62s.

SIGHTS

All these sights are zeroed at 300m. Not too much to say here...

xNlPejR.png

The sights on the RPK-74 are the exact same as on the AK-74. The front blade is precise, but I prefer more visibility of the target.

HjrMzUA.png

The sights on the M249 are pretty decent in terms of visibility. The blade isn't too precise but it's okay.

gKckklj.png

The sights on the M240 are good. The blade is nice and thin, too.

zAsdVLq.png

The Mk48 has the standard red dot. It's not as precise as some of the irons but it has great visibility and works well at any reasonable range... if you can see it, you can probably hit it. I prefer this to the others.

SUMMARY

From best to worst:

-Mk48 Mod 0

-M240

-M249

-RPK-74

I prefer the 7.62 weapons for their power. Better handling and more common ammo isn't enough to sway my opinion in favor of the smaller caliber weapons. As for RPK vs M249, the latter all the way. The magazines have over twice as many rounds, it fires faster, I prefer the sights, it's *slightly* more powerful... M249. The RPK isn't a bad weapon though, any machine gun is pretty good when prone.

Also... where's the PKM? You know, the standard machine gun of the Chedakis and the CDF? The quintessential Soviet GPMG? The gun which should be found instead of the M240 and M249? The gun which should be in the new Russian heli crashes?

We need a PKM, pronto.

Add it.

This man wants a PKM to go with his PKM

oRfCqnc.jpg

  

Edited by Gews
  • Like 14

YESSFINALLYIMSOFRICKENEXCITED

Great info. Thanks Gews.

Anyone know anything about the M60E4? This MG spawns in Origins and I have a couple in my house but know nothing about them.

I squeezed off one shot but it scared me so I put them away.

Great info. Thanks Gews.

Anyone know anything about the M60E4? This MG spawns in Origins and I have a couple in my house but know nothing about them.

I squeezed off one shot but it scared me so I put them away.

Handling (dexterity) = 0.51

Recoil = 8/10 standing, 5/10 prone

Rate of fire = 700 rpm (11.6 / sec)

Accuracy = 0.8 mils

Pretty decent, it has zeroing out to 800m too. I'm not a fan of the sights however, coarse front blade, low visibility, they also seem to "wiggle around" a bit. Also it's a very loud weapon for players... can be heard from 50% farther away than the M240.

Edited by Gews

Ah...the PKM. It must be implemented some day, some day. But anyways, I prefer the RPK over all. Handles like an assault rifle yet has the capacity of a LMG. Has decent accuracy too. Plus common ammo. And it looks cool.

Wow Gews, that was a very thorough analysis. I never realized the important nuances of these weapons. The variable damage done at different distances is a new one for me. Cool and useful information laid out clearly.

Wow Gews, that was a very thorough analysis. I never realized the important nuances of these weapons. The variable damage done at different distances is a new one for me. Cool and useful information laid out clearly.

Gews, they should sticky a index for you so that you can link all your weapon comparisons you have done. The information you have provided have all been at a minimum 10 times better then any third party web site out there.

Have a backpack full of beans. :beans:

• Like 1

Gews, they should sticky a index for you so that you can link all your weapon comparisons you have done. The information you have provided have all been at a minimum 10 times better then any third party web site out there.

Have a backpack full of beans. :beans:

+1 for sticky, some very well laid out info here.