mattlightfoot

E3 and our attendance

It'll be released on Steam most likely via Early Access at a heavily reduced price to reflect the fact it will be in alpha development.

• Like 2

It'll be released on Steam most likely via Early Access at a heavily reduced price to reflect the fact it will be in alpha development.

Do we know if there will be a dedicated server option available on release yet?

unfortunately a lot of the information wasn't anything new.

however i did like to hear some of the thinking behind some of the decisions from Dean.

i have faith in the development of the SA.

did a very well job explaining the release date issue and i am satisfied with having to wait longer.

rather than having some sort of blanket statement "like yeah you are gonna have to wait till next year"

Edited by methr1k2dop3

I love all the information that was answered throughout E3, Really looking forward to watching this game develop over time!

Does anyone know if they plan on changing the weapon sounds? I've never shot an AK-74 in real life, but I couldn't imagine it sounding like that.

Do we know if there will be a dedicated server option available on release yet?

Yes.

Server files available to all on release, we have made arrangements for surge hosting to bridge the gap between release and setting up your own servers

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1gauim/rocket_just_said_itd_be_a_few_months_on_stream/cail8wa

Edited by SmashT

Couple of questions...

Did they show any melee combat during E3?

Did they mention anything about the time-frame for the alpha release on Steam?

Couple of questions...

Did they show any melee combat during E3?

Did they mention anything about the time-frame for the alpha release on Steam?

Most videos I saw was just them using the AK.

They did not mention any specific date but Rocket keeps on saying that it will be very soon because he wants the community to give him feedback and suggestions. :) My best guess is probably end of June to end of July. (Hopefully)

I realise that it is probably pointless suggesting this here, but I don't get reddit or twitter at all, so I will share my thoughts here...

It is about the new animations. They are overly stiff and lack any sense of fluidity.

For example, when a character is sprinting and they suddenly change direction or come to a stop, you would expect their centre of balance to shift, for them to put their foot out in front of them as they stop, to skid slightly, to shift their weight as they changed direction.

As for infected...When they lunge like they currently do, you would expect them to tumble, fall flat on their face, roll etc.

I've noticed a few times where there are a few infected lunging at the character at the same time and it results in walking a few steps, get hit, stop, start, walk a few steps, get hit, stop, start...etc.

It got old just watching it. Playing with that is going to get really old, really quickly. I'm really not a fan of the lunging infected at all. A perfectly fit person would have a hard enough time catching up to and lunging on top of a sprinting person just the once, never mind repeatedly.

• Like 2

Agreed. Good point.

Watch JasonMiddleEasy's video:

Oh boy....This is bad,i mean really bad. At some point i was wondering if i was watching a WarZ video.

And i really wanted this game to be sucessfull.

It is a Dev build, Like Rocked said:"What the hell are we doing here" :D Cant remember what video was that.

So much time has passed and all they've done is this? I mean, I know - I'm not the one to judge, I haven't made a single game in my life so I wouldn't know how difficult it is, but still. A few months ago they've shown a video, where they run around new locations with AKs and go through new buildings. A few months later, on E3, the biggest gaming event in the world, they show us... exactly the same thing. Just with new zombies, which frankly, don't look that amazing. Like someone above me said, it just looks... stiff. Now I'm not here to brag like everyone else, because they have my full support, after all DayZ is the best multiplayer experience I have ever had, but this is just silly. It's almost like an insult to all the fans. And public release on June is certainly not happening. I'm just hoping, that they've a lot of more stuff added and it looks much better, they've just decided to show an earlier build... Just hoping...

All the time went to building the server architecture. Read the blogs and look the videos and listen what they are talking.

Arma is FPS, Dayz SA is mmo, right?

All the time went to building the server architecture. Read the blogs and look the videos and listen what they are talking.

Arma is FPS, Dayz SA is mmo, right?

Yes, that's the biggest change. Server architecture, tightening of security and turning an FPS game into an MMO.

People are judging the game on aesthetics alone, which only highlights the mentality of today's modern gamers. Many YouTube comments revolve around things like: "Bad graphics = bad game." It really doesn't.

Most things that you currently see are place holders, the zombie hits aren't synchronised yet, and there's still a ton of work to be done. Making the DayZ experience a fantastic experience for all is of far greater importance than the game's aesthetics. Simple design changes can be made on the fly, so talking about how the game looks is of no real importance right now.

Edited by Mr Mouse
  • Like 5

For example, when a character is sprinting and they suddenly change direction or come to a stop, you would expect their centre of balance to shift, for them to put their foot out in front of them as they stop, to skid slightly, to shift their weight as they changed direction.

As for infected...When they lunge like they currently do, you would expect them to tumble, fall flat on their face, roll etc.

I think you might be expecting far too much from the AI. Something Rocket stresses repeatedly on reddit is that the fact they're trying to populate a map the size of Chernarus with bots, synced to up to 150 clients, has never been done before. Because of that, they can't use any sort of traditional pathfinding on the zombies, and you need to if you want to see that smooth and sexy Euphoria Engine levels of fine detail on how they react to their own mass and such. Even the sort of all baked animations stuff you're seeing seems like a huge accomplishment when you hear them talk about what had to go under the hood to do it.

I surely do hope that most of the stuff was "in-progress, crude as hell but you guys wanted to see something!" level, because there should be expectations when it comes to AI... the core problem - zombies - havent been addressed so far in a sense they would offer any visible improvement from mod. Poor hit detection, lightning fast short sprints which makes aiming really hard makes DZ zombies hard technically, not because of their "undead" nature.

Yes, that's the biggest change. Server architecture, tightening of security and turning an FPS game into an MMO.

People are judging the game on aesthetics alone, which only highlights the mentality of today's modern gamers. Many YouTube comments revolve around things like: "Bad graphics = bad game." It really doesn't.

Most things that you currently see are place holders, the zombie hits are synchronised yet, and there's still a ton of work to be done. Making the DayZ experience a fantastic experience for all is of far greater importance than the game's aesthetics. Simple design changes can be made on the fly, so talking about how the game looks is of no real importance right now.

This, I couldn't agree more.

Nowadays it seems like better graphics is what game development/progress is to most gamers and that's just flat out wrong, especially in a game like this.

In fact i'd say that of all the aspects that make DayZ the unique gaming experience it is, aesthetics are the least important ones. Any real fan of DayZ knows this.

I admire Rocket and the rest of the team for their decision of going to E3 with this development build of the game. It shows they are not your common game developers, looking for a quick cashout. They knew that showing that build would break the hype for alot of people resulting in less profit for them at first but they did it anyway because they don't want to mislead people who thought it was going to be perfect at launch. It is shown by them as it really is, like it or not. They want to start the alpha with the real fans of the game, that understand and enjoy the core experience of DayZ, and slowly work their way into charming other gamers that need more content/polish to be able to enjoy it.

With that said everyone that expects the launch build to be very different from what they showed at E3 should wait until it reaches a later development stage, like Rocket himself suggested you do, because right now they are just doing polish work to the current features and maybe adding minor stuff, no major changes are being made to the game for launch build.

• Like 3

With that said everyone that expects the launch build to be very different from what they showed at E3 should wait until it reaches a later development stage, like Rocket himself suggested you do, because right now they are just doing polish work to the current features and maybe adding minor stuff, no major changes are being made to the game for launch build.

Yep, Rocket said himself that many people will be disappointed if they jump the gun and buy/participate in DayZ Standalone Alpha. Alpha is for the real and true fans who want to help the game progress. If people want DayZ as a polished game, wait for the full release.

However if you want to be a part of the game's development, then jump into Alpha and help with bug finding and the adding, removal and tweaking of features.

Edited by Mr Mouse

Yep, Rocket said himself that many people will be disappointed if they jump the gun and buy/participate in DayZ Standalone Alpha. Alpha is for the real and true fans who want to help the game progress. If people want DayZ as a polished game, wait for the full release.

However if you want to be a part of the game's development, then jump into Alpha and help with bug finding and the adding, removal and tweaking of features.

Of course! I can't wait to play along with true members of this community and aid in the development of this unparalleled game.

Edited by Dave91

LOL seen the gameplay

only one word to describe how it was: Dissapointing

Delayed the game loads of times and still shocking...

Edited by Chicken Loot

LOL seen the gameplay

only one word to describe how it was: Dissapointing

Delayed the game loads of times and still shocking...

Against my better judgment that this comment deserves absolutely no attention...

There has been one delay that I know about and it's because they decided not to just revamp the mod, but start from scratch. So on that point you're wrong.

You being disappointed by it is something no one can control but my guess is it's because you had certain expectations. So despite every single time Rocket opens his mouth he says "Don't expect too much in a PRE-alpha build" or even in a released alpha build, you are still disappointed. That seems to be very much your problem. Hell, based on what Rocket has said I wouldn't be surprised if they came to E3 with Pong presented as the Standalone.

Disappointed*

Saw* not seen.

Have a good night.

• Like 2

I realise that it is probably pointless suggesting this here, but I don't get reddit or twitter at all, so I will share my thoughts here...

It is about the new animations. They are overly stiff and lack any sense of fluidity.

I've noticed a few times where there are a few infected lunging at the character at the same time and it results in walking a few steps, get hit, stop, start, walk a few steps, get hit, stop, start...etc.

It got old just watching it. Playing with that is going to get really old, really quickly. I'm really not a fan of the lunging infected at all. A perfectly fit person would have a hard enough time catching up to and lunging on top of a sprinting person just the once, never mind repeatedly.

What we see atm is more or less the pure animation. A lot of testing and adjusting is needed now to get the zombie ai, anims and pathfinding work properly. For example if there is only a very small chance for making a jump attack you will not see the infected doing this repeatedly. One other important thing is to add something that prevents infected from running in line one behind the other when chasing a player...etc etc