Sign in to follow this  
Token Blackguy

How to improve my FPS?

Just started playing DayZ and wondering a few things, mainly how to improve my fps.

I average around 20 which is playable but when it comes to a shootout I imagine I am going to get dicked due to the FPS not really being in my favour.

System specs are as follows:

Intel® Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8gb RAM

Running Windows 8 (Never know these days with windows if that causes an issue)

I am also running with the free version of ARMA 2, not sure if that causes performance issues or not either.

The settings I am running ingame are as follows:

RaiQahI.png

Go to options and video settings and mess around with those. That should help a little bit.

Just started playing DayZ and wondering a few things, mainly how to improve my fps.

I average around 20 which is playable but when it comes to a shootout I imagine I am going to get dicked due to the FPS not really being in my favour.

System specs are as follows:

Intel® Core™ i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8gb RAM

Running Windows 8 (Never know these days with windows if that causes an issue)

I am also running with the free version of ARMA 2, not sure if that causes performance issues or not either.

The settings I am running ingame are as follows:

RaiQahI.png

Turn them four highs to medium, it'll really help and there isn't much of a difference.

object detail to low this increases my fps by 30. furthermore u have adavantages with foliage.... :|

set video memory to default

i do not exactly know which setting affects GPU/CPU but Object detail HDR and ATOC are decreasing fps dramatically at high settings.

Edited by Donlod

I've been playing this series since Flashpoint days. Yes, the engine has it's issues.

Seeing as their are a incredibly huge spike in players due to this fantastic mod, thought i'd throw out a few fixes that dramatically improve fps, and make your game play experience much better. If you're like me, your first impression was unsatisfactory. You were met with either incredible lag when playing all but the most simple missions, your mouse felt like it was attached to your gun via rubber band, and overall you found the game unplayable.

FPS lag fix:

Step 1: Go into your "My Documents" folder.

Step 2: Open "ArmA 2" folder.

Step 3: Look for the following lines in ArmA2.cfg, ArmA2OA.cfg, and any other ArmA versions you have.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

Step 4: Change them to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Profit. This should dramatically help your FPS lag. Now for the mouse lag.

Mouse lag fix:

Step 1: Open ArmA 2.

Step 2: Open your control settings for whatever profile you use.

Step 3: Drag mouse smoothing to zero.

(you know how long it took me to realize that this option was their, and I had the game for a long time! I thought it was just part of the game and had to deal with it. What a difference! Much more enjoyable!!!)

Oh, and one more thing. This will further help FPS and especially help if you're hosting a game which is CPU intensive. Got more than one CPU on your computer? Probably. Most computers do today.

CPU resource increase:

Step 1: Go into the Steam library (or the shortcut you use to launch ArmA 2 if you're not using steam).

Step 2: Right click on shortcut, Open properties, then launch options (or just properties if it's a shortcut).

Step 3: Add the following line to the launch options (or shortcut path):

-CpuCount=# (with # corresponding to the number of CPUs you have or want to use for ArmA. I have a six cores, so I put 6.)

...and that's it. Right off the bat you'll notice a huge increase, and the game will feel a lot more playable.

Enjoy! See you in game. My name is 'Jason' in-game, so if you happen to run into me, I am friendly! Hope you guys will spare me, and I will spare you. Any hostility and we'll have ourselves a western shootout.

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2782938

Cheers guys, lowering the graphics didn't seem to even make a slightest bit of difference, going to try what Sausage posted later and see if that helps.

Intel® Core™ i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz Turbo: 3200 MHz

Looks like a laptop and the Videocard is low end. You won't get far, sorry.

try this it works with other games for me and im on a terrible computer.

1st : Run the game (i did it with Arma2OA)

2nd : Open your task manager (right click on toolbar at the bottom of the screen and click 'open task manager')

3rd : Click on the 'applications' tab at the top of the task manager, right click on the game and go down to 'go to process' (now your process will be highlighted)

4th : Right click on your highlighted process and go down to 'set priority'. Then click high.

as i said earlier it helped alot with FPS issues for me.

skip all of the stuff above and just make sure your arma 2 version is the same version that the server uses. Dayz commander is the best way to do this. I reverted back to an older version patch of arma 2 , (the one my server is running) and i'm back to gaming like a boss. try it, i promise you'll be amazed. this has been tested to work. version 105785 has been causing lag issues like the patch before it unless your server is running it, which barely any are. :)

I would wish when people added their specs they would add their Harddrives. the game revolves around Processor,Hard drive(read/write Speed) and GPU, Ram is always good but isn't needed, i've seen people with 8 gigs of ram get 80-90fps in town. You got the fancy 3.5 processor and a healthy gpu, Try sticking the dayz game on a ramdisk, if that speeds it up even a little, then your bottle necking with your Hard drive.

I would go get a SSD, stick it in my computer as a secondary drive, use me 2tb HDD as the main OS and main system and run my games off my SSD. I'll tell you what. I have a 3.8 quadcore sandy bridge intel, ge-force gtx-660tiOC, 32GB of RAM, and a 2TB 7200rpm HDD. I was getting 30-40 fps in towns and even lower in cities, i would get 50 fps in the wilderness looking into the sky with a sniper scope.

I went to staples, bought a 120gb SSD for 89$, install my steam and arma game onto it. i get 120fps in the wilderness and 80-90 in cities with over 40-50 players on origins.

dont ask me how or why but it fucking rocks and its absolutly beautiful. settings are all on Highest.

Keep inmind in the video settings In-Game; Video Memory:default (always default, let your gpu make up it's mind)

Post processing effect: disabled"unless u have a huge system, then either Low or Normal"

Vsync:0

HDR quailty: If im not mistaken HDR means High Definition Rendering * if im wrong Please for the love of god someone correct me) should be at either normal or very high. *in my experience*