zipper

New Skins - Medic/Combat Medic

Not sure if the skin is even in Arma at all, but I was thinking about the number of people who shoot on sight only because they are always shot on sight. A medic skin could help those who really would like to help others, but are tired of being killed as soon as they are seen. Yes bandits could grab the skin, but you could counter that by making the medic stick out like a sore thumb to other players (not a camo outfit, maybe just a different PMC/Civillian outfit with the red cross on it). Skin is just like the camo and ghille, giving no incentive to shoot the medic to take his skin for wrongdoing.

A combat medic skin could also be introduced, which would be more suitable for those playing in groups. This would help the medics friends when asking for help, as they could be more specific to their locations from a specific person, and people playing a combat medic would have a bigger target on their head when fighting against other groups.

Warfare in groups might change as well. If one side is winning in an engagement, but they have people that are seriously hurt, they would know who to keep alive if they do not have a medic themselves, disarm him, and make him patch the victors up. Maybe they let him go, maybe they don't.

Some pros and cons that I see.

Pros:

-Other players see giant red cross on the arm, maybe head as well, people could be less likely to shoot someone they think might be there to help them

-Red Cross is a universal sign in all countries, helps remove the language barrier for those who don't speak the same language in direct chat

-Medic sticks out more than others, causing him to be seen first in most engagements, lowering his chances of survival in a firefight

-Would encourage more group play/teamwork in a game where teamwork should be essential to survival

Cons:

-Could be abused by bandits to trick other players (maybe require certain humanity # in order to wear it)

-Adding another new feature to a mod that needs more fixes than features

Again I don't know if this is even in Arma, but since the game is completely moddable I'm sure it could be added if it wasn't. To be clear, this is not a "class". Just merely a different skin to identify those who would want their initial impression to be someone who is there to help, not harm.

Thoughts?

Great idea!

Another clothing option they could possibly add is the 'bandit' skin -- (Not FORCING bad players to wear the bandit skin, but adding it in as a clothing option that players can find)

It's already coded into the game, so I don't see any reason why not!

Just adding more clothing in general would be good, of course there is no way to assure that someone dressed as a medic isn't going to put a .45 through your face when he says he's going to give you a transfusion but I would prefer to have the option there instead of just camo gear.

That'd be great for groups who have medics, assaulters, etc. Identifying would be easier.

Thanks for the input. I think this might help Rocket's current problems with the humanity system. It leaves the element of "I don't know if I can trust this person" while helping combat the shoot on sight due to "lack of trust in everyone".

More input is always appreciated.

Suggestions ?

- You could give the medic suit an ability to carry quite a lot more medical loot than regular, but not allow for him to carry a primary weapon (only pistols, etc)

- The mechanic, perhaps, could carry more vehicle parts, in something like the slots where maps/compasses go, but not have a secondary weapon or something

- The bandit clothing could give you the ability to carry an extra primary weapon in your secondary weapon slot, and give you more slots for loot? The drawback to this article of clothing is that players would be more likely to shoot you if they see you dressed as a 'bandit'

some very nice ideas here. i like the idea of a medic suit, and it storing medical equipment, perhaps speeding up the procedures slightly?

"class" suits (not specific classes you are tied to, more like a suit that says "i heal people" or "i like trains")

i'd like to be able to declare myself a friendly medic. but you should need a certain humanity before you can use it

Suggestions ?

- You could give the medic suit an ability to carry quite a lot more medical loot than regular' date=' but not allow for him to carry a primary weapon (only pistols, etc)

- The mechanic, perhaps, could carry more vehicle parts, in something like the slots where maps/compasses go, but not have a secondary weapon or something

- The bandit clothing could give you the ability to carry an extra primary weapon in your secondary weapon slot, and give you more slots for loot? The drawback to this article of clothing is that players would be more likely to shoot you if they see you dressed as a 'bandit'

[/quote']

Thanks for the input but I'm trying to stay away from creating different "classes" in the game. I think things like this could be exploited so to speak (swapping clothing when needed, and not for actual intended gameplay purposes). I also tend to think of the "Zombie Apocalypse" as a 24/7 warzone, which I believe more accurately fits into the current game. As in, you either shoot people/shoot zombies, or heal people/shoot zombies (think the Terminator movies after the machines have taken over and are fighting the resistance).

The idea behind the Medic skins is to assist those who want to help others, possibly reducing their chances of being shot on sight. The reasoning is, if you are alone, and in need of help (maybe a blood transfusion), you are still likely to shoot someone you don't know entering a building if they are wearing civilian clothes because you don't know their intentions. Even though you are in need of help, needing help is better than being dead. But, if you saw that same person come into the building wearing a Medic skin, you would be far less likely to shoot on sight since you know they are more likely to help you out.

I don't see any benefit to a mechanic outfit in assisting other players. Sure as a purely cosmetic idea, it could be implemented, but I couldn't imagine too many mechanics running around doing tune-ups in an apocalypse.

As far as the bandit skin goes, people can already carry 3 primary weapons and a secondary (albeit with severely reduced inventory space).

You do have several good ideas though, but perhaps instead of linking them to the skins, you can attach them to items you would hold in your inventory. Example. Introduce a new item into the game, Medkit. The Medkit and Toolbox now take up space in your regular inventory and only one or the other can be carried, however it enables you to perform all medical abilities or repairs without needing the required items (you can bandage people without bandages in your inventory, you can repair vehicles without the required items, etc.). Give the Medkit and Toolbox a limited number of uses, like 20 or so, before the item disappears from your inventory and you need to find a replacement.

There are several ways to implement the ideas without bringing in different classes into the game. Once you bring in different classes, the Developers will have to start worrying more about game balance, and less about the actual game, which is what I am trying to avoid, and why I mentioned the skins. :D

Holy crap wall of text. :dodgy:

I don't think that classes should ever be added to DayZ, it would be good to add different clothing to wear with different appearances, just not with functions added to them.

Adding classes means that we are also limited by what those classes can or can't do, it could also be exploited/abused by quick shifting classes. DayZ is made to be a anti-game, locked/hard cored classes with enforced limits and rules is such a pro-game feature.

This game needs to be flexible and hardly limited except by the engine that runs it, mainly because it can't be helped to a degree.

some very nice ideas here. i like the idea of a medic suit' date=' and it storing medical equipment, perhaps speeding up the procedures slightly?

"class" suits (not specific classes you are tied to, more like a suit that says "i heal people" or "i like trains")

i'd like to be able to declare myself a friendly medic. but you should need a certain humanity before you can use it

[/quote']

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping the Medic skin would be able to do exactly what you said, declare yourself a Medic in a universal language and reduce the chances of being shot on sight. I agree with the humanity part as well. If people truly are trying to help, they should have no issue with maintaining a high humanity anyway.

Really believe the humanity system needs to be worked this way. Trying to "punish" people for PvP doesn't work. It is going to happen anyway. But if you try to reward, instead of punish, perhaps a different result can be achieved through the same system.

Thanks again. :D

I don't think that classes should ever be added to DayZ' date=' it would be good to add different clothing to wear with different appearances, just not with functions added to them.

Adding classes means that we are also limited by what those classes can or can't do, it could also be exploited/abused by quick shifting classes. DayZ is made to be a anti-game, locked/hard cored classes with enforced limits and rules is such a pro-game feature.

This game needs to be flexible and hardly limited except by the engine that runs it, mainly because it can't be helped to a degree.

[/quote']

+1 Completely agree.

Great idea that would work well in conjunction with the heartbeat effect allowing for easier identifying if the player wearing the medic suit is actually a good guy or a undercover bandit.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this thread, but I think your suggestion is great when viewed as starting point. I'm sure that the DayZ team gets a ton of suggestions everyday, and I think it would behoove them to think of some of them as a way of generating ideas.

I know that, personally, I would wear a medic skin. Especially one like this, but I think it's important to understand, as the OP does, that this kind of thing is a long way off as there are more fixes needed than features.

Great post!

A good idea - just as a plain skin so you can let others know your intentions (or for deception purposes).

Myself, i would love to run around in the Priest skin converting all sinners with my Holy Hatchet of Doom.

Think the idea has merit as a (possible) way to make people less skittish towards eachother - but astheticly I really dont like it much.:( . If this was implemented as a tool (like the medkit or toolbox you mentioned) I think I it would be a hell'v alot more credible! So instead of someone spotting you as a medic by your clothes (very obvious) they'll have to see your carrying the medkit (in your hands/replacing gun)- this requires more observant behaviour and presevers the tense contact between strangers (which I like).