Sign in to follow this  
Joyrider (DayZ)

Heartbeats! Are they broken?

So I was shooting some zombies with my freshly procured Double-Barrel shotgun...and some random noob runs up and is like "SUP LOL"

So I was like okay, hey what's up. Then I put my cursor over him and I can hear his heart beating...and I heard that that meant he was a bandit, right?

Even though he's just some scrawny noob, if he's a bandit I'm not gonna help him so I shot him a few times and he keeled over.

But here's the weird part. He wasn't a bandit! I got a "murder" (my first one) and I'm sure I lost humanity. :(

So is this just a broken feature or what? I haven't seen many posts about the heartbeat feature, and this is the first time I've heard a heartbeat since 1.7.1 patch (and I've been playing like nonstop since then.) Oh, this was on Seattle 22, so bro if you're reading this I'm sorry I thought you were a bum bandit. :(

Yeah it seems to be bugged.

My friend who plays without murdering anyone (and normally runs from bandits) seems to have an epic heart beat when I look at him.

As someone who should have a heartbeat when looked at my friends tell me they don't get one when they put their cursor over me.

So it seems to not be working that great.

OP, Gather all the details and go post this in the bugs forum (using the form). I'm sure Rocket would appreciate this information in detail.

Wouldn't it be more logical for it to be "the faster the heartbeat, the clearer their conscience" considering the bandits WOULDN'T have a heart to begin with? Beside the metaphor, it would also make more sense as the innocent people are probably nubs and they're 'scared' while the bandits are most likely veterans of the situation and therefore used to it.

My point is: switch it around.

I think you've got it backwards.

We can't see faces and eyes and other details in game. The heart beat represents YOUR reaction to seeing that person up close and evaluating all those details that you can't see. It's your spidey senses tingling - you get a bad feeling about that guy.

Everyone has a heartbeat. If the heartbeat is faster it means he's a bandit. :/ sigh.

They didn't specify in the patch notes. Well hopefully my humanity hasn't dropped too far, I don't want to be a bum bandit. :(

Not a fan of this feature. For all the people up in arms about any other suggestion that would make the game easier you guys sure did pick a bad one to get behind IMO.

I think you've got it backwards.

We can't see faces and eyes and other details in game. The heart beat represents YOUR reaction to seeing that person up close and evaluating all those details that you can't see. It's your spidey senses tingling - you get a bad feeling about that guy.

I never thought of it that way. From Imbalanxd's post, it seemed like the heartbeat you heard was of the guy you're looking at (as opposed to your own personal reaction)...but in a milsim, I realise that's a little silly to assume.

It's YOUR heart beating, not theirs. The heartbeat indicates you're recognizing them as a bandit and are freaking out a bit.

It's like if you were walking down an alley and bump into a guy carrying a gun... not really a comfortable situation. Except... everyone carries a gun in this world, so maybe you're noticing something else like blood on their hands (literally lol).

With the last patch that still had the Humanity Face Indicator, I respawned with an angry face, even though I had no murders on the new character.

Me thinks humanity sticks with your player ID now.

With the last patch that still had the Humanity Face Indicator' date=' I respawned with an angry face, even though I had no murders on the new character.

[/quote']

I've never paid attention to mine but I think that's now the default face (judging from YouTube vids of people that have never killed anyone). This is probably the case of the OP's problem.

EDIT: For the moment, it's possible that everyone is a bandit to everyone.

With the last patch that still had the Humanity Face Indicator' date=' I respawned with an angry face, even though I had no murders on the new character.

[/quote']

I've never paid attention to mine but I think that's now the default face (judging from YouTube vids of people that have never killed anyone). This is probably the case of the OP's problem.

EDIT: For the moment, it's possible that everyone is a bandit to everyone.

If he was a bandit I wouldn't have gotten a murder. It sucks even worse because I was making an effort to not kill people...he was literally the first person I've shot at since I got the mod on Thursday.

Sounds like it's reversed?

Heartbeats being given with high humanity and low/no heart beat for bandits?

Maybe the values are reversed?

Moving this to the Bug Department.

If anybody is sure of their info, read the stickies, and make a report in the correct fashion.

For those of you that are serious enough there is the dev-heaven

bug tracker which is the correct way to do things, imho.

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/dayz

Thanks.

Wouldn't it be more logical for it to be "the faster the heartbeat' date=' the clearer their conscience" considering the bandits WOULDN'T have a heart to begin with? Beside the metaphor, it would also make more sense as the innocent people are probably nubs and they're 'scared' while the bandits are most likely veterans of the situation and therefore used to it.

My point is: switch it around.

[/quote']

Second this...

If you are not a psycho murderer you would be scared shitless when meeting another person.

I am. IRL!

If he was a bandit I wouldn't have gotten a murder. It sucks even worse because I was making an effort to not kill people...he was literally the first person I've shot at since I got the mod on Thursday.

You know the bandit feature has been removed, right? So now killing ANYONE (bandit or not in pre-versions) will count as a murder, my guess is.

Seems like it carries all the murders from the past characters. That's probably why.