alexij

Little suggestion

Hey guys, I have a little suggestion for DayZ. Sry for my english, I'm ukranian and sometimes using a Google Translate :D

Suggestion:

What if developers of DayZ will create something like system of size of bottles, food cans etc? For example:

I have a bottle of water, this bottle have 1 litre. I can drink 0,25/0.5 litre of water, replenishing part of thirst and give a bottle to my friend. The same with food.

I think, this idea is very good and realistic. I'll not surprised, if I not first guy who suggesting this.

Thank for attention.

UPD 03.06.2013:

Possibility to transfuse water from one bottle/flask/etc to other. So you can don't carry two bottles/flasks. On the other hand, you can fill two bottles or flasks instead of one.

Edited by alexij
  • Like 14
  • Beans 1

I think this might be in the standalone? im not completely sure.

I actually like that idea, I find it a little unrealistic how you have to eat a whole chicken or 1/8 of a cow, etc in order to quench your hunger.

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

I find it a little unrealistic how you have to eat 1/8 of a cow in order to quench your hunger.

You don't need 1/8 of a cow? I'll have some if you don't want the rest.

Edited by TheBambiAvenger

Good suggestion, I don't think I've seen this one yet.

It's a very good suggestion. Somebody suggested the same about food a few days ago: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/137368-sa-how-much-you-consume-with-food-items/page__hl__rationing

It would be nice to have a mechanic like this where you can actually share your last can of beans with a buddy.

UPDate. I'll update the topic from time to time.

Edited by alexij

]UPD 03.06.2013:

Possibility to transfuse water from one bottle/flask/etc to other. So you can don't carry two bottles/flasks. On the other hand, you can fill two bottles or flasks instead of one.

Edited by alexij

Maybe eating should take some more time, too? It doesn't have to be ten minutes or anything, but it should be a little longer. And the eating could be interrupted, too.

• Like 1

Maybe some foods will have a snack option like trail mix.

your hunger slowly goes up as time goes by as long there is snack left.

and you can stop and start it same goes with water.

so instead of eating and drinking instantly you slowly use up item till its depleted.

The canteen-use-only-once is definitely an issue. You should have more than just one drink out of a canteen - it defeats the purpose of having one. Why waste your inventory slots when you can find sodas very easily? Since they are looking into a "crafting tree" if you want to call it that, they should give benefits to hunter & gatherers that are out in the wilderness killing game. Allow those who skin regularly, be able to get a passive perk where there character can get more meat off of animals (especially cows - common, only 6 meats per?! Wtf?! :P ).

I do think that even medical supplies (i.e. bandages) should have stacks of say 5 or 10 per slot, because honestly a single bandage should NOT take as much space in your inventory as a G17 clip. I am really excited to see how the SA turns out.

Cheers,

Lidskjalf :beans:

Sodas shouldn't be a source of hydration in the first place. They actually dehydrate your system.

If partial drinking/eating something is integrated (all for it) than the spawn chance of food and water should be much lower. This way it would be necessary to take advantage of this system, and make food and water last longer.

• Like 1

I do think that even medical supplies (i.e. bandages) should have stacks of say 5 or 10 per slot, because honestly a single bandage should NOT take as much space in your inventory as a G17 clip. I am really excited to see how the SA turns out.

To be fair, what we have in game is a military dressing which it says here is 10cmx19cm http://boundtree.co....g-10-x-19cm-pad

If you were to fold that length ways its going to be about the same as a G17 mag.

Edited by Fluxley

I want to know opinion of other users. :)

i have thought this idea but never posted.. i think something close to this will be in the SA.. woOo SA where are yooOouu.. :D

Safe to assume we all want this sort of complexity. I hope in the long term Bohemia creates it. If at the end of all this, they can make a truly immersive survival experience, that's an engine they could sell to other developers.

For instance, I just saw a demo for a crowd funded game of an idea I also thought up which is an open world dinosaur hunting simulation. This game idea would be perfect on the nascent SA engine.

Anyway the whole food tree needs refinement. It is absurd one would only get 6 steaks out of a cow. If you find a living cow, that should be an enterprise, like irl.

Also, don't know if ever mentioned before, but the effects of nourishment or lack thereof should take effect over time, like irl. It'd be great if you can create a situation where you've been so neglectful, in certain ways, to your character that he/she can no longer run, but only walk. For example, what if you've been gluttonous and become too fat? Or you're exploiting your survival stat by being extremely inactive? Well your character's fitness would degrade to the point where you are physically incompetent.

I imagine that if you're the boss of a large DayZ clan you aren't gonna be doing much hoofing it on foot from Stary to NWairfield and back. You'll probably have an SUV. And all the luxuries that come with your status. That should be reflected in your character. In the same way if you and your buddy are constantly sharing meager rations of half a can of beans.

My other dream/suggestion is splitting up a nourishment system into two separate systems. A psycho/emotional well being and a biological well being. For instance, as Schmeddy just pointed out, soda is not hydrating (not healthy generally). But in a post apocalyptic nightmare a can of pepsi certainly lifts your spirits and makes you feel better in the short term. But like in real life, if all you drink is soda, then eventually you're gonna have some issues.

I don't know exactly how you could express someone's sense of emotional well being within the character. My first and easy thought would be that your character's transition animations (switching guns, eating, building fire) would be slower to express a general sense of listlessness if your character was "depressed" or faster if you're feeling upbeat. That's not quite right but awesome if something like this came about.

I agree with this, I don't think I would scull beverages in the apocalypse. Beans for you good sir.