Sign in to follow this  
komoter226@yahoo.co.uk

Standalone modding support

Hello.

I'm really interested in making my own map for DayZ that would reflect my home town etc. etc.

But the main problem is the complexity and hassle you have to go through right now in order to create even the basic terrain. The tools involved and lack of updated tutorials/guides really restrict people like me from creating custom content.

Will Dean sort this mess out in standalone and release modding tools for his game so it's much easier to create custom content for DayZ?

• Like 3

I think it's a bit early to talk about this. Standalone is not even out yet, let's focus on that :)

I think it's a bit early to talk about this. Standalone is not even out yet, let's focus on that :)

But what I'm asking is will Dean help the modders out?

Initially the game will be completely locked down and not open to any form of modding. Further down the line the devs will think about opening it up.

would you mind to post this as a question there:

Off Topic:

just a short advertisement for a new thread for all who have important questions about the Standalone. You can post them there (make sure to read the initial post though) and hopefully some will be answered over time and in the course of several events (e.g. E3)

[DAYZ SA] - ultimate Q&A

thank you

Edited by joe_mcentire

i could think of massive community involvement and a section where everyone could upload their files. then BIS could review and evaluate them if they could be used. you don't even need to "open up" the game.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

i could think of massive community involvement and a section where everyone could upload there files. then BIS could review and evaluate them if they could be used. you don't even need to "open up" the game.

This is a good idea... I'm creating a Stalker inspired map right now and would love to play Dayz on it when it's completed..!

i could think of massive community involvement and a section where everyone could upload there files. then BIS could review and evaluate them if they could be used. you don't even need to "open up" the game.

But then they have to employ staff to go through all of these submissions. BiS are a very small company and the DayZ devs will still be working on DayZ development for the next year or so.

yeah, allow modding and all servers will end up as the mod servers are right now, full of medical and military tents on every fucking town, having a stupidly shiload of cars everywhere.

so no, no modding.

• Like 2

yeah, allow modding and all servers will end up as the mod servers are right now, full of medical and military tents on every fucking town, having a stupidly shiload of cars everywhere.

so no, no modding.

Yup, I'm definitely looking forward to playing with only the main hive available again. It'll be just like the good old DayZ! :D

• Like 3

so no, no modding.

But playing on the same map gets boring very quickly.

Edited by Ice Cold Killa
  • Like 1

But playing on the same map gets boring very quickly.

They've said they hope to release new maps in the future, but making a map to the same standard as Chernarus takes time, i think it took Bohemia two years to make it the first time round.

a lot more has been added to chernarus for standalone so it should be a more entertaining map. i'm looking forward to seeing this shipwreck on the map and also to see what they've done with the northern debug area. i agree that the stary->nwaf->neaf/berezino runs get dull after a while

Hello there

Dean has little to do with the creation or management of the dev tools.

i dont see them being drastically overhauled for the public's use.

The main reason folk get bored quickly is due to the fact they play on servers where everything is easily obtainable. Regardless, the changes to Chernarus+ will alter the way the game plays in itself.

I too cannot wait for a pure hive.

Rgds

LoK

Initially the game will be completely locked down and not open to any form of modding. Further down the line the devs will think about opening it up.

this is my number one reason for being happy . no more admin abuse , checking postions , stealing duping loot for themselves.

hopefully that is kept under lock and key even when they start to mod it.

• Like 2

I hope people are able to make mods/maps for the standalone simply because the fact that dayz is a Mod itself and look how amazing that turned out, maybe not right at release but eventually.... it could only lead to more good things.

Interesting choice coming from Rocket & co who are today involved in the SA development just because they have been modding extensively an existing game (Arma 2) in the past - but hardly surprising knowing what happened during the development of the single player version of dayz (technically a mod of a mod), with all the rage between Rocket and Kronzky.

The ironic [read: moronic] thing is that nobody would be here talking about dayz if Bohemia would have taken exactly the same stance when they released Arma2 in the first place...

Anubis

Edited by _Anubis_

Its more to do with its the only way to really lock down the hacking situation.

Arma never had the same problem with hackers, well not until dayz came along.

interesting ...interesting indeed...it is like societes and their governments nowadays. as safe as possible means as many restrictons and supervision as possible

Interesting choice coming from Rocket & co who are today involved in the SA development just because they have been modding extensively an existing game (Arma 2) in the past - but hardly surprising knowing what happened during the development of the single player version of dayz (technically a mod of a mod), with all the rage between Rocket and Kronzky.

The ironic [read: moronic] thing is that nobody would be here talking about dayz if Bohemia would have taken exactly the same stance when they released Arma2 in the first place...

Anubis

Actually the main reason that modding won't be supported initially is to help combat scripters. Personally, I think modding has destroyed DayZ though, it's genuinely difficult to find a populated stock/vanilla server to play on these days. I can't wait to play the old fashioned way again. :)

Actually the main reason that modding won't be supported initially is to help combat scripters. Personally, I think modding has destroyed DayZ though, it's genuinely difficult to find a populated stock/vanilla server to play on these days. I can't wait to play the old fashioned way again. :)

i thought the engine was rewritten so it does not use scripts anymore, or did i misunderstood? ...but do NOT add modding support pls (maybe after 1 year or more :|)

Edited by Donlod

i thought the engine was rewritten so it does not use scripts anymore, or did i misunderstood?

I guess I misspoke, sorry. I just meant cheaters in general. Hackers, scripters, whatever you want to call them.

Well Dean has said that they could hire and pay community map maker(s) to make a new map in later state and maybe offer them for free.

I guess I misspoke, sorry. I just meant cheaters in general. Hackers, scripters, whatever you want to call them.

yah, thats a big problem :|

I honestly believe they wont release mod tools for dayz SA. Its like a switch, its either on or off. What I would love to see is a separate app to do cinematics or modding and even charge for the app. Then one could test their creations without the use of SA. Then everyones happy. Waiting a year or more for mod tools that "may" come out puts a sour taste in my mouth, only because i have heard this all before. All is not lost though, at least people have arma 3 to mod with. Also, i am still excited for the SA and cant wait to play it.