Felixthefriendlycat

Alpha test, closed alpha, even more closed alpha?

I do not completely understand how the alpha planning works. Subreddit mods and forum mods where already playing a build from dayz since about a month or so ( was that alpha or pre alpha?). Which they described as a closed test. Yesterday rocket tweeted that today the closed alpha would start. But then I heard numbers like 30 -100 people. I thought the closed alpha was also for streamers and youtubers. So the real closed alpha still has to come?? Could someone describe me the roadmap for the alpha because I don't understand it

Edited by Felixthefriendlycat

From what I understand

Closed testing > Closed Alpha > Open Alpha

• Like 2

^Yup, I think that's basically the plan. Currently we're in closed testing.

• Like 1

Forum Mods, Sub-Reddit mods get in earlier than the streamers and YTers from what I understand.

Hello there

The only bit you need to look out for is the "Open/Public Alpha", so don't worry about any particular naming convention for now.

Rgds

LoK

Forum Mods, Sub-Reddit mods get in earlier than the streamers and YTers from what I understand.

Yup, currently it's only mods and BIS staff.

I think what happened was like, Rocket was all 'look at this cool new shit we're doing. We need people to test it'.

That was the original 'closed alpha'. It supported a certain amount of people, and was built on the old client/server architecture same as Arma. Skiddies could wreak havoc pretty easily.

This 'new' closed alpha is using the new client/server architecture so that it can all be tested for bugs and game-breaking shit once more than two people get on a server at once.

Once the closed alpha testing bugs are ironed out (there's bound to be a few, at least), then we'll probably get the open alpha.

But it all comes down to the new architecture. They rewrote the client/server protocols entirely. One spelling mistake in thousands of lines of codes could end up with weapons being unable to be used, server crashes, etc etc etc etc etc.

Now that it's complete though, things should speed up massively (I sincerely hope so). I want to throw money at this project already!

There is a closed testing team of 30-100 people that have had access since Feb (including reddit/forum mods, support staff, BIS employees), those same people are doing a large scale test of the new client-server architecture today. I don't know when streamers and youtubers etc are getting access though, I vaguely remember Rocket saying if it's good enough for streamers then it's good enough for release so not sure what the plan is with that anymore.

It's either going to go straight from closed testing > alpha release or there will be some point inbetween where streamers/youtubers and some other community members get access before the general public.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

It's either going to go straight from closed testing > alpha release or there will be some point inbetween where streamers/youtubers and some other community members get access before the general public.

That is exactly the uncertain bit thank you. Because I heard statements yesterday like: DayZ is now in alpha! Large scale test tomorrow. From which I hastely concluded that must have been the closed alpha for the 1000 keys that where given to YTrs. Thanks for the clear answers guys

As rocket explained it, the purpose of the first test-round was to get data on connecting and disconnecting; spawnmechanics and other stuff while they finished the server-client-architecture. This phase involved 30-100 people mainly BI-employees, Forum-Mods and Some other contributors.

The second stage, will involve over a hundred other people, mainly streamers and other pro-gamers. This will allow extended Testing and give first feedback on how to tweak some features.

Rocket mentioned, that there are currently a lot of parts finished, but not implemented in the final build. My assumption is, that now that the serer-client-architecture has been tested, they will include feature after feature that is already finished, for the second testing-team to evaluate and when everything is in and running, they will release the game.

E3 being on schedule soon also delays things a bit, as the devs have to divide their attention to have some new info to present there, maybe even a final build.

My personal opinion, people who complain about the SA taking so long, just don't know the least bit about development. Usually the things you don't see take the longest to finish. And what they have done with those, is just incredible.

• Like 6

My personal opinion, people who complain about the SA taking so long, just don't know the least bit about development. Usually the things you don't see take the longest to finish. And what they have done with those, is just incredible.

Amen to that.

The funny thing is that the release was planned before even Christmas.

*head explodes*

The funny thing is that the release was planned before even Christmas.

The old december release date was when all they planned for the standalone was a slightly polished version of the mod, it would of had the same server architecture and so the same problems with hackers, not to mention no end of other limitations.

Then they changed the plan and decided to remake the whole game from scratch with a custom game engine and completely different server architecture.

This means we have had to wait longer but we will get a much better game at the end of it.

This is a good thing.

• Like 1