Zippylicious

Places to get better gear?

Hey guys,

I am a new player to DayZ, and I have gotten myself orientated on a good server that I like, but I am understocked on ammo and guns. I know airfields are good places to get ammo, but I dont know which ones are best for risk/reward. I also need some camo clothes, and other such gear. I am currently in Berezino with an s1023 van. Any suggestions as where I should go?

Zippy

Story Sabour has decent loot. Not the safest place to go but might be worth a shot.

Ammo for what? Best place for ammo for Makarov, M1911 and Revolvers is everywhere - they spawn in supermarkets, cafes/hotels, houses, schools, all over the place.

Best place for weapons is fire stations and then Berezino might have some in its military tents (not sure). As you move up country Stary Sobor military tents are the best for high grade weapons and ammo, Then up map the NW airfield has a firestation, an air traffic control tower and hangars and 2 barracks (one south of the airfield and one north).

Look out for tents and British backpacks as they are the biggest that are easily available (18 spaces). The Coyote backpack is only found rarely. I think it spawns at Stary and the airfields, as do range finders. Also, look out for helicopter crashes as they spawn the best weapons and ammo, as well as NVGs.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

On the northeast edge of Berezino there's a small military camp that spawns some low grade military items. The Northeast Airstrip can be a moderately safe area to loot - it's just north of Krasnostav. There you will find hangars and an aircraft control tower. Do not underestimate the hangars as sometimes they spawn some really good stuff. Far to the north above Berezino you will see an inlet along the coast called Guba. A rubber raft usually spawns there. In the raft's inventory - if no one has taken it yet - you will find a Coyote Backpack.

The NW section of the map has the most abundant amount of military loot (i.e. Stary Sobor, and NWAF). If you're looking for clothing, that's residential. Your best bet would be Cherno, and run around checking houses, pubs, etc.

Stary, Crash Sites, NWAF... and of course off of your victims! Have fun!

Military Barracks and sometimes, Airfield hangars.

Balota Airfield is good for the beginning (getting an AK for looting cities)

So if your a fresh respawn I'd say the best place for starting gear with the Medium high amount of risk. Medium - high is Elektro and Cherno, most likely fresh respawns will head to those cities because they have fire halls which is a good place to start for weapons and if you cant get anything usefull there look in residental buildings you might find yourself a lee enfield which isn't a bad gun if you know how to use it, or a winchester. but the neat thing in Cherno is there is a firehall and military tents where you have a chance of finding decent weapons like AK47, M4 hell even a chance for a sniper like the M24 but which is very slim.

Risks are Medium because if there is a sniper in Elektro you can know where there shooting from and you have plenty of cover from the houses etc.

The other near the coast is balota Airfield which is a very high risk, why? Because unlike Cherno and Elektro you have literally almost no cover if you get shot at, I mean at least you can maneuver around using the buildings as cover but in Balota you have your choice from the Tower and hangers thats it and hell hangers wont do much unless your being shot from the north by a Bambi Bandit, but you also have the risk of players coming from Cherno with lets say an AK then you only have the tower to hide from and if you get stuck there you cant move you stuck, you would be a sitting duck unless you combat log.

I'd say the best one is Berezino with the PvP risk of Low - Medium but its a little bit of a walk because you cant spawn right in front of berezino if you spawned in Solinchniy look right of the industral buildings and go that way your heading north to Berezino which has a military camp but thier small but if your the unlucky fellow who couldn't find anything at the military camp go north there you will find the NEAF (North East Airfield) usually the NEAF is empty but i'd say its a low - medium because usually all the players go to the NWAF.

If you decide to head north Stary Sober is a very good place to loot for military gear just watch for bandits camping it check the north side of the hill of Stary Sober first if there is someone camping the town 95% of the time they're going to be in the hill. unless thier looting or some other reason. Stary Sober is at a High/medium for PvP and usually the guys camping are decently geared with automatic and snipers.

The Best places are Helicopter Crash and NWAF and could range from Very High to Low A Helicopter Crash far up north would be Low for PVP but lets say near Stary or a tower i'd say its high but there the best for weapons because thier are rare weapons such as the AS50 only spawn in at Helicopter Crashes.

NWAF is a Very High Risk of PVP because unless helicopter crashes it wont be hard to find and it spawns in very good weapons with a higher chance such as the MK MOD 0, DMR, M4A1 HOLO with Grenade launcher etc. tip for this would be stay low stick to the trees and behind the hangers and NEVER EVER rush straight across go around.

• Like 1

Here's my advice-forget your notion about ammo and think about having a variety of guns. In my mind, there isn't one place on the map that will reliably give lots of ammo of whatever particular gun you're carrying at the moment. Instead, I say the game spits out a medium amount of ammo of a wide variety relatively smoothly all over the map with the exception of the NWAF barracks. Which helps reinforce my advice that the NWAF is single best risk/reward.A single run on just one barrack should net you 3 guns and more than likely you'll acquire some good ammo all around. And NWAF isn't that dangerous if you're not too stupid to know safer times to go.

I don't recommend Stary as much because there is no easy bail out point once you're in that tent complex and there isn't much cover in there. I feel really exposed; also I've watched a lot of close combat pvp go down in those tents.

I like NW because it seems like you're out in the edge of the forest and in 30 seconds you're inside the barracks, loot for two minutes, book it and in 3 minutes it feels like you're already in Grishino, out of danger.

Edited by PhilB

Berazino is a great place for a wide variety of gear, places that are good for gear, but are high risk are the airfields, and stary. I would suggest hitting the Deerstands , and score the plains for crashed choppers.

What are you looking to do with this ammo and weapons you speak of?

If all you want to do is defend yourself from Zombies, you need to learn stealth first, and then axe or a fairly rare silenced weapon with even rarer ammo. All military sites will help you out with that, to the extent that you can rely on random, rare spawns. A loud gun will call more Zombies, and worse, looky-loos with bigger guns.

If you are looking for a weapon to defend yourself against a human attacker, any of the basic military guns you will sometimes find in the fire stations and Balota will do nicely. Even at medium range, in a city, a few slugs from an AK will keep their heads down while you get away. I mean will hopefully keep their heads down while you run from anything and everything that heard you fire.

Berezino is a pretty good spot. If you have a good run you can get yourself pretty geared up and if lucky you could find an M4, AKM, DMR etc.

Depends what you want and how much risk you are willing to take. If you have a vehicle why not go from Berezino to Stary and then up to the NWAF keeping your eye out for heli crashes.

Chances are you will get shot, but it sure beats sitting in a bush by a lake eating pig meat all day.

Zelengorsk is also a good place, not many people go there for some reason but it has a firestation, industrial, 2 grocery stores, and some nearby farms if your desperate. it amazes me how many times i go there and find enough weapons and ammo in the firehouse to completely destroy a server.

Kamenka is pretty good...

...nawh, i personally like to go to stary as my first stop, then i go to NWAF and spectate for about 5 mins to see if anyone else is around, if so, i leave and go to vybor, then Zel

Actually, Berenzino is great! The apartments have camo clothes and ghillie suits. In Berenzino, you can loot cycle the apartments, military tents, and grocery stores to your hearts content. Plus the industrial buildings on the north end of the city are great for finding all the car parts you need. I guess I only have on question, do you know how to loot cycle?

Zelengorsk is also a good place, not many people go there for some reason but it has a firestation, industrial, 2 grocery stores, and some nearby farms if your desperate. it amazes me how many times i go there and find enough weapons and ammo in the firehouse to completely destroy a server.

I dont think there is a firestation and a 2nd grocery store on a vanilla map!

I dont think there is a firestation and a 2nd grocery store on a vanilla map!

I'll have to check but i think there is.

*Edit m.cab was right there is only one grocery store and no firestation on a vanilla map.

Edited by Jerry Can Ultimatum

What server are you playin on?

What server are you playin on?

Yeah dude wherever that is sounds like a way better Zelengorsk.

Well if your already at berezino might I suggest NEAF is very unpopular due to no barracks but it still has military spawns none he less. Also go to dayzdb and look up some deer stands,until you get a decent gun/backpack and then you should head NWAF....but don't bring your car,you are very likely to die up there.

Heli crashes are where it's at. Found a DMR, an M14 AIM and an ammo box with 10 DMR mags and 10 M24 'mags' which I combined into DMR mags tonight. It's frustrating when you find ones that have already been looted but it's well worth the searching for when you eventually find a fresh one, lol.

On a side note - I don't really play that much any more. Haven't been able to locate NVG or a coyote pack, where are they spawning these days?

Well if your already at berezino might I suggest NEAF is very unpopular due to no barracks but it still has military spawns none he less. Also go to dayzdb and look up some deer stands,until you get a decent gun/backpack and then you should head NWAF....but don't bring your car,you are very likely to die up there.

Pfft... I was up there in a bus this evening... xD

I would recommend finding a player with the items you desire, and prying them from his cold, dead hands.

Edited by Very Ape

...Also go to dayzdb and look up some deer stands,until you get a decent gun/backpack...

Deer stands dont spawn weapons anymore since 1.7.6.1 patch (except of a 0,75% chance for a CZ550)! Neither they spawn backpacks.

The only case i check them is when i need ammo very badly or i am starving. Otherwise they are not worth a look imo...