Phantom Vader

Side chat re-enabled?

I am in a server which uses the latest DayZ patch (1.7.1.4), requires the latest beta (93825).. and yet has Side Chat which is available to everyone in the room.

Has side chat been re-enabled?

I am in a server which uses the latest DayZ patch (1.7.1.4)' date=' requires the latest beta (93825).. and yet has Side Chat which is available to everyone in the room.

Has side chat been re-enabled?

[/quote']

Side chat can be renabled by the server admin, by editing the mission file. It's pretty simple.

Can you please tell what was the name of that server? Afaik, server admins are not allowed to modify the mission file to enable features that rocket intentionally has disabled in DayZ.

I have a similar thing on one of my servers, US90 my server requires the latest beta and the mission isn't edited in any way and no one else can use the chat, but there was one guy typing in it to himself asking for help but of course no one else could reply, any ideas?

Does direct chat even work yet? It better, if Rocket is forcing side chat to be disabled... How else can randoms without mics communicate?

Does direct chat even work yet?

Direct chat has worked perfectly since beta build 93040. Voice & Text Communication

I have a similar thing on one of my servers' date=' US90 my server requires the latest beta and the mission isn't edited in any way and no one else can use the chat, but there was one guy typing in it to himself asking for help but of course no one else could reply, any ideas?[/quote']

There is a bug/glich which allows some people to access side channel, so it is not necessarily server's fault. If someone is using side channel of your server, ask them to switch channel. If they don't, just kick them out for using glitch to bypass channel limitation.

I've seen people typing in side channel today, I don't think its meant to be like at as after I updated to the beta patch for Arma the option for side chat was gone, maybe these people who can still do it have just simply not bothered to update to Beta 93825?

tbh i feel it should be re-added anyway but without mic support, part of the fun was reading people asking if there was any friendlies in cherno lol now that's gone I really feel isolated and alone, probably the reason for its removal but i like to help a noob out and its impossible if they cant type and ask. This game is hard to learn, lots of finicky controls and options.. helps to get some help in this game.

I've seen people typing in side channel today' date=' I don't think its meant to be like at as after I updated to the beta patch for Arma the option for side chat was gone, maybe these people who can still do it have just simply not bothered to update to Beta 93825?[/quote']

Don't join servers which do not require beta patch from joiners. Every servers should restrict all joiners' version to the latest beta patch, but some are still not doing it. Avoid those servers.

You can see required version from lower right corner.

Does direct chat even work yet?

Direct chat has worked perfectly since beta build 93040. Voice & Text Communication

I have a similar thing on one of my servers' date=' US90 my server requires the latest beta and the mission isn't edited in any way and no one else can use the chat, but there was one guy typing in it to himself asking for help but of course no one else could reply, any ideas?[/quote']

There is a bug/glich which allows some people to access side channel, so it is not necessarily server's fault. If someone is using side channel of your server, ask them to switch channel. If they don't, just kick them out for using glitch to bypass channel limitation.

How exactly do i do that? no one seems to be able to see Rcon messages

It would be nice to remove messages:

"connecting

disconnecting

disconnecting

disconnecting

connecting

connecting"

how to remove these messages in the dayz?

and would be really cool if you could create a squad and add players instead of squad would be faction.

[]´s

@Wüstenfuchs,

there is also an option which you didn't mentioned until yet. Global and Sidechannel are also available if you are using and old mission file, as i did.

Even if the situation getting better and better, the information for serveradmins are not concentrated at one page where everyone can get informed within minutes. If, for example i haven't read this thread i never would knew that sidechat has to be deactived.

After some Minutes in IRC i got the information that my Mission file is an old one (and not modified!), after downloading the new one, chats are deactivated as it should be. So please don't throw the banstick just because some ppl are willing to host a server but don't have time to read the board or find the 'right' spot to get the needed information as long the situation is so chaotic.

The Server is "FR 15" ... Hosted by EK.

Full name ---- "DayZ - FR 15 (v1.7.1.4/Beta 93825) [3DP:ON][CH:OFF][uTC-4] dayzmod.com - Hosted by EK"

I have just got on the server, and am on it as i am even typing this message, and side chat IS still enabled.

As i said above, it uses DayZ version 1.7.1.4, and requires beta version 93825.

It would be a shame if it is shut down, it has very little desync issues. Oh well.

Also, i might add, I frequented this server for a few days, and it has only recently enabled side chat

You can setup BEC to prevent people from using Side Channel. If they use it, they will be warned and if use is continued it will kick them.

It would be nice to remove messages:

"connecting

disconnecting

disconnecting

disconnecting

connecting

connecting"

how to remove these messages in the dayz?

and would be really cool if you could create a squad and add players instead of squad would be faction.

[]´s

If server hoster, then update mission file with the link in the Google Group. This disables System, Global, Side, and Command chat.

Even if the situation getting better and better' date=' the information for serveradmins are not concentrated at one page where everyone can get informed within minutes.[/quote']

I agree, the main info to server admins need to be better organized.

The game lost a lot of it's appeal when the side channel was removed. It is incredibly boring now, and makes me feel like Im playing a single player game. It was a lot of fun to see an entire server working together to survive, and getting into large groups. Now everyone seems terrified of strangers for fear of losing their loot because communication almost ceases to exist for people without mics. Maybe it's just me but Id like to see the side channel come back, or maybe some sort of longer range replacement to the direct chat channel.

The admins at TX20 bit my head off earlier today for suggesting that they probably shouldn't be tampering with their mission files and re-enabling side chat.

I recommend not playing on any server with side chat enabled. I have no idea if it's blacklist material, but it certainly isn't the way the game is being designed currently.

The admins at TX20 bit my head off earlier today for suggesting that they probably shouldn't be tampering with their mission files and re-enabling side chat.

I recommend not playing on any server with side chat enabled. I have no idea if it's blacklist material' date=' but it certainly isn't the way the game is being designed currently.

[/quote']

Of course they bit your head off. You accused them of something they didn't even do. They never tampered with the mission file like everyone keeps assuming. They use teamspeak and could care less about talking with other players. They have a shoot on sight, if they do not hear a voice over teamspeak they shoot. Therefore no reason to care about side chat.

Played on a few this afternoon with 1.7.1.5' date=' side chat was enabled and the whole server was working together except for a few bandits.

Was nice.

[/quote']

I actually do have to agree that disabling side chat increased the amount of banditry tenfold. There would often be people in side chat saying that they are friendly, or asking someone else if they are friendly ("Guy in cherno fire station, are you friendly? Answer or we will shoot!") ... but now, in order to find if someone is friendly, you have to get pretty close to them.. and if you do get close, somehow without being seen or shot, typing leaves you vulnerable, and you are often not in cover, or any kind of good cover. Most will just simply shoot instead of bothering to ask if he is friendly, because it is much harder now.

The only time I EVER ask if someone's friendly is if i just happen to stumble on him and he hasn't noticed me yet (which is pretty rare). Otherwise, I just shoot them out of caution or completely avoid them... I would rather work together with others, but it is very hard when you can't talk to them from a range.

Even still, I wouldn't join a room which has re-enabled side chat by messing with the mission file. I don't like the idea of a server admin who breaks the rules and does whatever he feels like.

how can i activate the chat?

You have to edit the DayZ files, but I'm not sure how. You do risk some negative consequences for modifying the mission...

TX20 Server Admin here, we have side chat enabled with the help of the devs. It's really a request thing, it's not special treatment or anything. Some servers have it enabled, others dont. Rocket would prefer it to be disabled, but doesn't care if it's enabled since it does help new players out tremendously.

Is it something that would get a server blacklisted? No. No it's not. Because the mission file was edited by a member of DayZ staff. We don't touch anything besides basic server configs and occasional edits to the dayzcfg file (handles difficulty such as enabling/disabling of third person). All of which is allowed.

Until Rocket emails me saying "Hey, we're doing something now that requires side chat to be disabled permanently" we will will continue having the mission file updated to have it enabled. Again, we get this done by a DayZ staff member. We don't touch it because 1) we don't want to break it, 2) don't want to change something that would result blacklisting and 3) could care less about anything else. We don't mind side chat.

We do have VOIN (in-game voice) disabled. Because that gets annoying VERY quickly and everyone uses TeamSpeak, Mumble or something similar anyways. It also causes performance problems on some servers.

EDIT: The reason we bite heads off is because we do get a lot of players who think they know it all when they don't. We know what we're doing and we will not do anything that will result in the server being blacklisted. Trust us. Some server admins, regrettably, do shit that should get them blacklisted. We're not one of those admins.