A Man Named GOB

Bury survivor to regain humanity

I propose a new context option to bury a body. This would take more time than hiding a body and would regenerate a certain amount of humanity. This would be regardless of whether you killed the person or not. It should take considerably longer than actually hiding a dead player and so it would leave you exposed for a longer period of time. Hiding a dead person is something you do to avoid being caught, burying someone is usually a sign of "respect".

This should not work on dead infected.

Ooh, man.. c'mon. YOu kill a guy to steal his items and burrying him makes you a good guy? Makes you a moral guy? Naah. I is just about your intention when killing someone that makes diff, and this a game can't catch or put on a metter.

I appreciate that, I am not the biggest fan of the humanity system but if its here to stay, adding nuance to it would be pretty immersive.

I'd like to see some more ways to bolster humanity' date=' and this would probably work out pretty nicely.

[/quote']

Im not sure what you are getting at. As far as I know, the game only checks to see if you killed someone, it then drops your humanity.

I dont even know how many times Ive been in dire need of food or water and instead of risking getting ganked by the guy running through a field in front of me, I take them out. The paranoia the game induces makes you constantly assess the risk of other players. This does not mean that I enjoy killing other players. I usually do feel bad about taking someone out and being able to regain a little bit of humanity by showing their "body" some respect doesnt seem far fetched.

I didnt create the humanity system but if I can help improve what is already implemented, I will.

Also, let me be clear, the amount of humanity you regain should be only a small fraction of what you lost for committing murder.

Ooh' date=' man.. c'mon. YOu kill a guy to steal his items and burrying him makes you a good guy? Makes you a moral guy? Naah. I is just about your intention when killing someone that makes diff, and this a game can't catch or put on a metter.

[/quote']

Ooh' date=' man.. c'mon. YOu kill a guy to steal his items and burrying him makes you a good guy? Makes you a moral guy? Naah. I is just about your intention when killing someone that makes diff, and this a game can't catch or put on a metter.

[/quote']

It's not like it would completely negate the negative humanity from killing them. People do desperate things in desperate times, and it's completely reasonable to feel guilt for it and at least give the person a proper burial. It's just one more potential layer of immersion for those that take the game as more than a glorified deathmatch.

Plus, this could be a bonus for people that stumble on a fallen survivor if they choose to take the time to bury them. It's not all about killing.

I propose a new context option to bury a body. This would take more time than hiding a body and would regenerate a certain amount of humanity. This would be regardless of whether you killed the person or not. It should take considerably longer than actually hiding a dead player and so it would leave you exposed for a longer period of time. Hiding a dead person is something you do to avoid being caught' date=' burying someone is usually a sign of "respect".

[/quote']

No IMO its pointless, its just a way of nerfing the humanity mechanic and pissing of bandits at the same time. No one wins.

How is it nerfing the mechanic? Humanity is not black and white, it is gray. Also, I cannot imagine how this could piss off a bandit. Burying someone would be optional. Hiding bodies would still be an option. Can you elaborate on why this would piss off a bandit?

I propose a new context option to bury a body. This would take more time than hiding a body and would regenerate a certain amount of humanity. This would be regardless of whether you killed the person or not. It should take considerably longer than actually hiding a dead player and so it would leave you exposed for a longer period of time. Hiding a dead person is something you do to avoid being caught' date=' burying someone is usually a sign of "respect".

[/quote']

No IMO its pointless, its just a way of nerfing the humanity mechanic and pissing of bandits at the same time. No one wins.

I like this suggestion a lot. It's a way for someone who kills to atone, or to say they're sorry for what happened. Even if they're just doing it because of the mechanical benefits of high humanity, for no emotional reason at all, they're still performing an action for the sole reason of mitigating or reducing the consequences of what they've done. It's about as close to caring about your character's morals as many players will ever get.

Agreed. Also, making the action take a fairly long time also makes you weigh the risk versus the reward.

I like this suggestion a lot. It's a way for someone who kills to atone' date=' or to say they're sorry for what happened. Even if they're just doing it because of the mechanical benefits of high humanity, for no emotional reason at all, they're still performing an action for the sole reason of mitigating or reducing the consequences of what they've done. It's about as close to caring about your character's morals as many players will ever get.

[/quote']

I like this suggestion a lot. It's a way for someone who kills to atone

Or in other words its a way for bandits to farm humanity.

The fact that they're trying to farm humanity is an improvement, because it means they value it. Besides, if you're making corpses just to bury them, you're going to find yourself losing humanity fast.

Lets say you murder someone and then lose 500 points of humanity. Then you run to their body, loot them and then spend 45 additional seconds burying them. You get back 150-200 points of humanity and also spend a couple of minutes hanging out right where you fired a shot. Not only are you getting less humanity back than you are spending but you are risking getting sniped.

Its possible but I think it would only really be possible in big groups and I think it would be more like managing it. Remember' date=' you would get less humanity back than you spent.

Very nice idea. I like it. Humanity farming could be a problem though.

Yes, I don't think bandit will farm humanity, it s more a stuff for survivor who killed in self defense and are trying to come back on trail.

Sounds great

Bandits will most likely dont care about upping their humanity, and this will most likely not really help them if they want to trick someone. It is only very good immersion material, where i am always pro for.

It also works for the dude that had to kill someone in self defense and lost humanity for it.

Bandits will most likely dont care about upping their humanity' date=' and this will most likely not really help them if they want to trick someone. It is only very good immersion material, where i am always pro for.

[/quote']

I think it's a great idea, as long as you don't recover as much humanity as you lose from killing someone you cant "farm humanity" and if you kill someone by accident because they startled you or cross your line of fire its a good way to reduce the effects of your mistake without negating it completely.

This should be for zombies.

Burying them needs to be done for health reasons so its good. Burying people isnt a human thing to do. Its a religious thing

Burying them needs to be done for health reasons so its good. Burying people isnt a human thing to do. Its a religious thing

Burning and burying bodies to reduce infection spread is a good idea, not entirely sure if it really fits with the game though. Maybe that could be added if you can catch an infection from hanging around dead bodies. Burying a body in a human/religous fashion is more moral than letting a corpse just rot on the ground or simply hiding it from sight.

Agreed, I am not religious in any way and I can still see the humanistic side to burying a human body.

Burning and burying bodies to reduce infection spread is a good idea' date=' not entirely sure if it really fits with the game though. Maybe that could be added if you can catch an infection from hanging around dead bodies. Burying a body in a human/religous fashion is more moral than letting a corpse just rot on the ground or simply hiding it from sight.

[/quote']

Well yeah youre right its a moral thing. This makes sense, though I still think more so for zombies than for humans.

Also bruying someone with loot on them is immoral when that loot is essential to survive for other people.

Well yeah youre right its a moral thing. This makes sense' date=' though I still think more so for zombies than for humans.

Also bruying someone with loot on them is immoral when that loot is essential to survive for other people.

[/quote']

Maybe drop all their equipment where they died to cancel that out? It would certainly show the difference between hiding a body a burying it since you would be able to spot where someone died if you see a pile of loot out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure on that point to be honest though, I think it would be better to bury a man with his things rather than strip him of his last possessions, but that could be a choice left to the player when he/she decides what to do with the body.