EyeoftheYeti

Good Old Friendlies: Let's Make a Comeback!

I've been with DayZ since the early days. I remember a time when qeqeqeqeqe meant "Let's get some shit done! We're friends now, man!!" and I remember a time when the forums were full of complaints because hatchets couldn't be used as melee weapons. AND I AM WITH YOU NOW!! And...I need your help. I want to revive the old ways. It may seem like a stretch, but now that the concentration of hackers has gone down significantly, I think we can rebuild. It has to start with trust.

I want to inspire you, first and foremost. To that end, I'll be recording my interactions with players in-game and posting them on my youtube channel (which, to keep this thread in this forum, will not be posted here). What I need from you is your hivemind. We're all capable of compassion in DayZ; I've seen it from the deadliest of bandits when their blood gets low. I need to hear your thoughts on how to approach someone. I don't want you to tell me how YOU would approach someone though. I want to hear how you would prefer to be approached. With your help, maybe I won't be so ronery ;_;

EDIT: Steak expressed interest in joining me on my quest. Without being thrown into the "looking for friends" forum, I'd like to humbly add that such assistance is appreciated, and you can sign up by posting your steam name here!

Edited by EyeoftheYeti
  • Like 6

To me the big thing about meeting survivors is where they point their gun. You cant trust anyone who is pointing a gun at you.

• Like 1

PEW ! PEW ! ooops ,sorry..i meant qeqe...

• Like 1

To me the big thing about meeting survivors is where they point their gun. You cant trust anyone who is pointing a gun at you.

which is exactly why A buddy and I shot and killed 2 people we met up with. It basically went like this.

us "Put your gun down"

Them "Why?"

Us "Because we said so"

Them "Why you flippin dick over a game?" *Dead*

After a long time of "shooting on sight encounters", yesterday, my friend and me were surprised that we found a friendly in the Polana supermarket. My friend went inside and started looting, while I was in the building opposite side. When I came in, I saw a hero with a hatchet right next to him, but he didn't move. My friend was scared but I told him not to shoot. The hero said that he could've killed him if he wanted to, but he didn't because he hoped I will not shoot him <_<. (not a native English/German speaker, so I didn't really understand what he meant, but he sounded okay).

I then offered him a ride in our little bird and we flew him up to Novy Sobor, where he left. About an hour later, the hero asked if we could give him yet another lift and pick him up at Vybor, which we did. He even gave us 3 full jerry cans of fuel for the pick up.

Morale of the story: Faith in humanity restored!

I approach people how I expect to be approached

I understand people are twitchy and the way I approach people is (and would expect to be approached by a player)

1. If I sneak up on them without them seeing me I say "if you want to live drop your weapons, make your choice"

If someone snuck up on me and did this I would comply, if they already have a gun pointed and me and haven't fired chances are they won't kill me

2. Surprise encounters never go well, eiether one side just fires, although here I just call friendly and hope for the best it's all you can do, but the thing I expect is for people to take cover if possible

If your looking to find friendlys the best thing is to play a harder game mode as this will also prepare you for the upcoming update in regards to more zombie damage

Dayz+ is outdated but I always go back to it as there are always people looking for transfusions or morphine

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

I'm always friendly, but I prefer to stick to the woods of central Chernarus. When I do go out to get a better primary or some food and meds, I'm always aware I might run into somebody. So I make a big deal about seeing them first, and eventually trying to hold them up. It may sounds harsh, but I don't take any of their gear. I just don't like the idea of someone I don't know with a gun right behind me. So, I tell them to drop their gun and follow me back to my camp. I might give them some meds, cooked meat, or ammo, but I'll wait to give them their gun back. I'll place it far away, where I can get a decent shot on the player. And if I seem him again, I'm not taking any chances.

To me going qeqeqe is a suicide. It's like "Hey, I'm right here just dancing, shoot me". You need to approach carefully, not just expect every single guy to be friendly.

I usually watch people for a good while, then get the upper hand by sneaking on them and saying something friendly in direct chat. And I'm always ready to shoot the guy back, so tell him that you're coming out, but keep your gun aimed his way, then try to make a friendly conversation.

Edited by Sutinen

Thanks for the insight everybody! Keep it coming. While you're at it, feel free to brainstorm about possible ways to incorporate humor into the encounters as well. I feel like people would respond better to a gimmick than to threats, but that's just speculation. To entice you, I'll make a video for every suggestion that I really like, showing it in action. I'll make a thread in the Gallery and post a link here when the first one goes up.

Well, many players seem to find humor in killing others on sight. Probably not what you had envisioned.

The above pointed out, I not too long ago was crossing the land bridge from island to island on Namalsk with a random friendly I had met in Vorkuta. Halfway across we met an unarmed player coming from the other side. Both of us were armed with the silenced AKS. When the other guy saw us he just crouched down and waited, as if he knew his time was up. I mean come on, two players, well geared encountering an unarmed player on a normally PvP dominated map in a know player killing part of it? We spared him, told him to keep moving and get to shelter as an EVR was soon due to hit. Even as we began climbing the hill toward Old Hospital, the guy was still in the same spot watching as if in disbelief that we did not turn and shoot him. Turned out well in the end for us when a few days later we met him on the surface of A2 and better geared, he did not shoot us on sight.

Edited by Saethkept

Nice initiative, I will watch your interactions.

But since a lot of 'friendly' got beated to death so many time without any chance to return fire and then turned into cold blooded KOS stalker/murderer (including me), the task will be hard. It will be probably easier to convince the 'real bandits' than the 'ex-friendly'.

• Like 1

I hate it when players tell me to drop my weapon, I would much prefer someone telling me not to look their way or telling me exit the area if I wanted to live. If I have an awesome kit I might comply with the drop your weapon technique (better hope I do not have a satchel charge though, I love a good suicide bombing) otherwise I am going to attempt to murder you somehow. I might put the gun down and get in my pack to pull another out the second you make a mistake.

So after saying this if I am not shooting on sight I like to take cover with a decent shot lined up before making contact. I will never turn on someone who uses this tactic on me even if I am in a bandit mood and I have found this to be the best strategy for making contact. Most people understand you could have killed them and they might return the favor, but if the person seems shifty or unresponsive I will just back away. Sometimes it results in teaming up for awhile.

I've stated on this forum before my modus operandi but here goes. Step 1. Approach individual regardless of skin with my primary out but lowered. 2. Announce presence and intentions. Step 3. Offer medical aid or supplies. Step 4A. Provide aid Step 4B. Receive bullets in torso. Step 5A. Move on with a goodbye. Step 5B. Respawn.

I will say that I hate being told to drop my gun and have never asked someone to do such. I've asked some shady characters to face the opposite direction then pull a ninja transfusion and run(inspired by Hetstaine's blog entry about ninja blood bagging).

I like those steps, Blood, but I will say that I'm hoping to achieve a lasting connection with a stranger, the likes of which might impact his view on the community. Do you have any experience with that sort of thing?

A lasting connection, EyeoftheYeti? All that comes to mind is an incident where I ran nearly five kilometers to help a stranger who had crashed his ATV and claimed to have broken legs. He turned out to be sprawled out on a dirt road north of the NW AF. He was also legit and after I gave him morphine, food and some ammo, he went on and on about how I was too good to be true. Turned out he was a hero type player already, so going out of my way for him did not change or impact his style of play, but I like to think that maybe he spread the story of what happened that day.

• Like 1

What I inferred from that statement is that when I do the recordings, you'd like to be part of my expedition.

If I'm right:

WELCOME ABOARD, ME HEARTY! I'll git yer steam name from yeh and I'll let you know as soon as I start recording!

If I'm wrong:

oh god I've made a terrible mistake.

What I inferred from that statement is that when I do the recordings, you'd like to be part of my expedition.

If I'm right:

WELCOME ABOARD, ME HEARTY! I'll git yer steam name from yeh and I'll let you know as soon as I start recording!

If I'm wrong:

oh god I've made a terrible mistake.

Steak and P same as hither

I gave some random dude a blood transfusion and a DMR + 6 mags today because I got bored of it. Does that count?

I like this idea, actually. If anybody else is interested in joining the effort, get me a steam name and I'll send you an invite. I'll probably end up playing tonight around 10:00 PST. Might be cool to have a few friends.

Iv'e had too many bad encounters to even trust a single player anymore, being nice/friendly usually gets me killed,

Iv'e got to the point of not wanting to interact with anyone(i know stupid huh), if i see another player now i turn and head in the opposite direction. I spend 90% of my time in the deepest furthest reaches of chernarus away from human contact living of what i find.

But there is part of me that wants to have stranger/survivor encounters, it's a conundrum for me.

Edited by Crazy one

The method that has served me best has always been:

1) Approach slowly and in cover

2) Keeping a wall between me and subject, announce presence.

a-If they've stumbled into the building I'm in I'll find a room with 1 entrance/exit and tell them not to enter this room

b-If I'm the intruder I'll pinpoint them and inform them of my presence and see if they need assistance / are willing to trade.

3a)They come after me and I shoot them, or they listen and then 2b happens

3b)We exit cover, do a quick salute, then proceed with trade / seperate ways.

I've been betrayed too much to trust for journeys nowadays, unless I have at least 1 person with me / we've talked for a bit. If either of those conditions are satisfied I'll offer to join up. But I always make sure they are beside me or infront, never behind me.