Sign in to follow this  
dulix11

Dog companion

Feeling lonely out there in the apocalypse? Well not any more!

There would be a 50% chance of a dog spawning in a home, (obviously near the dog kennels) and a 50% chance of spawning in the wilderness.

All you have to do is make sure you have a piece of meat in your inventory. You can feed the dog and it will follow you around.

Dogs shouldn't 'fetch' anything, but they should be able to attack zombies, but have a risk of getting infected and turning on you.

They also could bark randomly, which could set off zombies or alert other players to your position. The dog could also bark / growl if the are players nearby, and sniff along the ground in the direction of them.

Dogs also need to kept healthy, so they will have the same temperature, hunger etc effects as you.

Hunger: Whimpering, sniffing on the ground

Cold: Shivering

Pain: Shaking, whimpering, blood patches, leg lifted up

Wet: Doing that thing dogs do when they're wet, I don't know what its called. You know, shaking back and forth.

They could also get their own food by eating dead players, wildlife and zombies at risk of infection or drinking from oceans, rivers, ponds and the swamp that is seen in the SA, although at the risk of infection.

When you die the dog will linger around your corpse, until its killed or someone else finds it.

Thanks

• Like 1

There is actually code for a dog companion inside the @DayZ folder... looks like someone has certainly considered it.

S8Dxqhi.png

ez03aRa.png

Pretty interesting. I actually don't mind the idea of dogs too much as they aren't human NPCs (taboo).

• Like 1

I think domesticated dogs should be somewhat more rare and possibly start of as hostile in packs, where the player has to try to domesticate them/ it. But you certainly have the idea.

I'd like to see some sort of crossover between dog game mechanics and humanity. Like if you've got a dog and you meet another player, the dog can sense if they're evil or whatever and start snarling at them. It is said dogs are a good judge of character so a mechanic like that could reflect that in game.

(Obv, you can tell already in the mod by the skin, but maybe for SA).

The dog reacting to other human players according to humanity is actually a good idea.