ThirdSinger

Want to know why banditry is rampant?

It's rampant because it's essentially the endgame of DayZ.

Zombies no longer pose a threat after you get enough gear. They barely pose a threat as it is, since they can be easily killed and avoided. Once you have high end, military gear, what else are you going to do other than PvP? Sure, you could TRY being a hero, but you'll just get killed anyway after someone in need of "help" caps you for your high end loot.

They're trying to fix this in the standalone, I think, by making it less focused on military loot and more focused on survival.

I don't have a problem with banditry myself. In fact, I'm a bandit myself more often than not. But this explains just WHY banditry is essentially everywhere in DayZ.

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

• Like 1

it's rampant because people want free stuffs.

/thread

• Like 7

I also agree banditry is a valid and useful play-style. However the problem arises once Banditry becomes KOS all the time.

When Dayz first came out I remember being surrounded by bandits. taken in a car to the middle of nowhere and having my legs broken. They left my gun at the fence by the barn and fired as50 shots to zombie aggro.

That is what a bandit is to me. Someone who will be logical about how they will ruin your day. If you shoot me straight away, chances are within 20-30 mins i'll be back with better gear....

It is a vicious cycle, if you get killed for your high end gear, you will become frustrated and kill for someone else's. It takes a hero to be above this loop and not kill for no reason.

• Like 3

Because banditry is fun, sinister, sadistic, safe, and (non-morally) rewarding.

Because I like to shoot at people, simple as that. It's like call of duty but we a bigger map, vehicles and more tactics to make use of !

They kill you so they can molest your dead body.

Trust me it happened to me.

• Like 1

As few as I play on regular servers, if I do I'm probably one of the few guys who don't KoS all the time. But yes, it's true, you don't have much more to do after some time. I went hunting bandits and leaving survivors alone...

Because I like to shoot at people, simple as that. It's like call of duty but we a bigger map, vehicles and more tactics to make use of !

you should probably try BF3 then.

• Like 1

Chances are the person who shoots you is very much accustomed to being shot himself. Is a vicious cycle of death and distrust where those who are newer to the game (or less experienced with the strategy behind not dying) end up being killed over and over again by a stronger foe. They then set out to become that kind of stronger foe in order to stop dying as frequently, evidentally ending up instead killing another newer player who then has to evolve into the same sort of player in order to survive. We're forcing it unto ourselves and unfortunately, without serious guidance through server rules, administrative tampering and general goodness of the heart, there is nothing to be done about it. I've also noticed that you've only gotten one post so far, OP. Hope to see you around on the forum more often!

- MONSTER

• Like 2

Chances are the person who shoots you is very much accustomed to being shot himself. Is a vicious cycle of death and distrust where those who are newer to the game (or less experienced with the strategy behind not dying) end up being killed over and over again by a stronger foe. They then set out to become that kind of stronger foe in order to stop dying as frequently, evidentally ending up instead killing another newer player who then has to evolve into the same sort of player in order to survive. We're forcing it unto ourselves and unfortunately, without serious guidance through server rules, administrative tampering and general goodness of the heart, there is nothing to be done about it. I've also noticed that you've only gotten one post so far, OP. Hope to see you around on the forum more often!

- MONSTER

This gave me cancer of the eye.

• Like 3

Probably because it's so easy to recover from dying, that people don't really care much about life/death.

• Like 1

How is it an 'end game', shouldn't an end game require a little work? Banditry, or at least low IQ KOS banditry is stupidly easy. If you have much superior gear and experience it's a walk in the park to kill new players etc. who neither know of your presence or have the ability to fight back.

Conning people, gaining trust, abducting, hold ups. That's proper banditry, requires more effort and thought than just bang, dead.

Definition of Banditry -

ban·dit

n.

A robber, especially one who robs at gunpoint.

An outlaw; a gangster.

One who cheats or exploits others.

That's very different to KOS or Sniper spawn campers, doing that just makes you a mindless murderer. Bandits wouldn't randomly kill people especially if there was little reward in it.

Also being a 'Hero' is a far better end game because it's far harder, mainly because people are so mistrusting, anyone who successfully pulls of bambi type rescues or the like is a far better player than your average 'bandit', not because of hat they are doing (i.ve saving people over killing people) but because of the difficulty required.

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

I think OP is fairly much spot on.

I've ended up playing my "own game" which is probably a bit wierd, I spend my time beteween an Epoch mod server that has just enough murders and banditry to keep you on your toes, and a PvE Origins mod server doing the "bear grills" thing, building houses and bases, stockpiling ammo and gear and loot all week, then every saturday night we go on a co-op raid to Salvation city. The motto "we're not here to kill each other, we're here to kill patient zero", on that one there are some NPCs to worry about.

Yea, its all in the end-game.

One thing I have noticed in DayZ, you live for the moment however you choose to play.

Edited by TwoHammers

Chances are the person who shoots you is very much accustomed to being shot himself. Is a vicious cycle of death and distrust where those who are newer to the game (or less experienced with the strategy behind not dying) end up being killed over and over again by a stronger foe. They then set out to become that kind of stronger foe in order to stop dying as frequently, evidentally ending up instead killing another newer player who then has to evolve into the same sort of player in order to survive. We're forcing it unto ourselves and unfortunately, without serious guidance throgh server rules, administrative tampering and general goodness of the heart, there is nothing to be done about it. I've also noticed that you've only gotten one post so far, OP. Hope to see you around on the forum more often!

- MONSTER

*Sniff*! Deep stuff man... deep stuff...