-Gews-

AK-74 series

So I recently had a minor dilemma - do I take the AK-74, or do I take the AKS-74U? I realized I didn't know the exact differences between them, so I ended up taking both until I could sort matters out.

Here are some of the similarities:

Damage - exact same.

Zeroing, bullet drop - exact same (300 meter zero).

Rate of fire - exact same (10 rds/sec).

Recoil - exact same.

Now, the differences...

Dexterity:

AK-74 = 1.7

AKS-74U = 1.78

The Suchka handles a tiny bit quicker, fairly inconsequential although the shorter length will help a bit indoors.

Accuracy:

AK-74 = 1.25 mils

AKS-74U = 2.00 mils

Dang, the AKS-74U is much less accurate! But does it matter? Let's find out.

Here's the spreads at 100 and 200 meters:

TXrBdOf.png

tb9HiFP.png

So when the ranges start becoming longer, the full length rifle should be a bit more effective... of course this may be harder to notice in practice. At shorter ranges it won't matter as much.

And finally, let's not forget a very important factor, sights. In game I find the AK series open sights are better than the various aperture sights for tracking and firing at running targets (I can watch them run into my front post), but not as good on stationary targets (the recoil pushes up the sights and obscures the target).

The AK-74 has a more precise front post, but it also obscures the target much more, especially once you fire and it jumps upwards. You get more visibility from the AKS-74U.

tFJTUS1.png

In the end I chose to go with the Suchka, most fights I'd get into with such a rifle would be at closer ranges and I much prefer the sights.

Which of these rifles do you prefer?

• Like 7

ak-74. i normally run with one (normal over kobra) and a m24/m40a3.

LOVE it

AK-74 hands down. Best weapon in the game next to the AKM

IRL, the 74u would handle better in close quarters, but in this game it makes no difference, so I'd always go with the full size 74

Seems like most people like the vanilla 74 better. stats say it's better too. Still, the 74U calls to me.

Thing looks badass.

CSAmVPV.png

I read they were going to reduce the recoil on the AK-74s, right now it uses AKM recoil, which is silly.

I don't know when they plan to do it or if it's been cancelled due to ArmA 3 coming out and all their attention being focused on that...

The work was done in the CCP, here's the details... https://dev-heaven.net/issues/66832

• Like 1

You seem to be one of the rare people putting up helpful posts... I'm watching you...

• Like 5

I prefer the ak 74, but are you going to be doing more of these? I really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

D'aww.

I also thought it would be worth noting the probability of seeing each of these guns in a loot spot (chance of gun x chance of loot). Haven't looked into loot mechanics much so I could be wrong... :P

All normal military locations:

AK-74: 6%

AKS-74 Kobra: 3.2%

AKS-74U: 2%

Magazines: 4%

Barracks:

All 4%

Magazines: 8%

I prefer the ak 74, but are you going to be doing more of these? I really enjoyed it.

Sure, why not, I can obsess over this. I'll do AR-15 series next.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

Hello there

*muffins*

Great post. I want more of this sort of thing.

As to your question, it may be a placebo effect but given the choice i'll always go with the full size AK.

Rgds

LoK

Hm, you should do a comparison of the M40A3 and M24. I'm sure there's a difference somewhere in the two.

The AK-74 series is the worst set of assault rifles in the game. They are less accurate and less powerful than any other.

Why pick one over a dot-sighted M4, an acog M16, any of the G36 variants, AKs, FALs, or Sa58 models?

Edited by Smith Comma John
  • Like 1

Why pick one over a dot-sighted M4, an acog M16, any of the G36 variants, AKs, FALs, or Sa58 models?

I wouldn't. :P

Hm, you should do a comparison of the M40A3 and M24. I'm sure there's a difference somewhere in the two.

I shall compare different snipers sometime, unfortunately there is literally not a single difference between those two rifles though. The M40A3 is still better 'cos it matches your ghillie. :D

AK-74 Kobra for me, loved it ever since I picked it up, and since the rest of the clan prefers a 5.56 platform, assures all the 5.45 are mine, its win/win

I wouldn't. :P

Did you somehow misinterpret my question as 'who would' because I asked 'why?' I mean, no sweat off my back if you don't pick up superior weapons. I'd rather fight you with an AK74 than any other assault rifle anyway.

Edited by Smith Comma John

The AK-74 series is the worst set of assault rifles in the game. They are less accurate and less powerful than any other.

Ive got a soft spot for the 74u, its a great gun for dithering about the NWAF killing zeds without getting too much aggro plus i just like the look of it.

From your random selection of guns i would choose a 74u over the m16 acog (no good for close range) and any of the G36's(they look like they were designed by a 5 year old).

The M4 cco's are pretty good and i love the AKM, FAL and Sa58's

By the way Gews, would love to see a comparison between the AKM and Sa58's, keep up the good work.

Edited by Fluxley

From your random selection of guns i would choose a 74u over the m16 acog (no good for close range) and any of the G36's(they look like they were designed by a 5 year old).

Use your shift key. Brings up a crosshair. If you're trying to headshot zombies at close range, you should be using your secondary anyway. M16 ACOG is just a better weapon. As far as the G36s, so their look doesn't match your taste---they are still quieter, more powerful, more accurate, and have a higher rate of fire. Additionally, all STANAG using weapons can be effectively silenced against zombies by using SD ammo, whether they are SD or not.

Because the 74u is smaller than the 74 but fires the same round, it makes sense for for 74u to have more recoil, so I think it's balanced correctly.

Edited by fatherjohn

Use your shift key. Brings up a crosshair. If you're trying to headshot zombies at close range, you should be using your secondary anyway. M16 ACOG is just a better weapon. As far as the G36s, so their look doesn't match your taste---they are still quieter, more powerful, more accurate, and have a higher rate of fire. Additionally, all STANAG using weapons can be effectively silenced against zombies by using SD ammo, whether they are SD or not.

Well I dont usually play on servers with a crosshair, and i wasnt claiming that the 74u was a better weapon i was simply answering your question as to why i personally would choose it above certain other weapons.

I do really like the compact look of the 74u (especially in bandit gear), but I do seem to notice the lack of range compared to the 74/74 kobra. It also has more recoil, which makes sense considering its a smaller/lighter gun firing the same round as the full sized 74.

Personally, I thought the full length 74 appears a a little too big... but it's probably scaled correctly and I'm just out to lunch.

I would like to see the AK47 added though...

Well, I'd much rather find the Kobra version. But ever since I first found the Sa-58p, I've fallen in love with it! The sights are WAY better than any AK, takes AKM magazines, has zeroing, and looks freaking awesome! I took one three ghillie guys in Stary with it, all of them had L85's and M4's. I killed them all. I recommend this gun over anything(well, I usually turn down OP guns :P)

Well, I'd much rather find the Kobra version. But ever since I first found the Sa-58p, I've fallen in love with it! The sights are WAY better than any AK, takes AKM magazines, has zeroing, and looks freaking awesome! I took one three ghillie guys in Stary with it, all of them had L85's and M4's. I killed them all. I recommend this gun over anything(well, I usually turn down OP guns :P)

I also have the 58P right now, it's my baby. I used my AKS-74U to get it though. :P

ZcgWpwU.png