gambla

any possibilty to safely hide / save your gear ?

This is my take on how underground instanced areas should be:

They should have a passcode lock on them that is ran off of a rare battery type. Not a uber rare one, but one that if you don't replace every two days, the passcode lock does not work. Or maybe 7 days. Doesn't matter to me. But I think rare batteries are a good way to make underground safe places a actual job to keep, because it should never be guaranteed safe unless you work hard to find said batteries. That means if you forget you even had a storage facility, someone else could take it, change the passcode, and use it for themselves. That way it becomes a commodity. Along with that, if the original passcode maker were to die, the passcode would reset and the lock would work anymore until the same or a new individual were to set the passcode. These end game things should be very difficult to keep in my opinion, so they should be more work than they are worth. They are easily the most worthwhile things in my book, and I'd do anything to create one.

This also goes along with the fact you should have to upkeep the underground base. Meaning you have to replace wood or some form of construction every week, or it collapses. This would regulate them quite efficiently and make sure they don't over populate servers.

As always, your character is the safest thing to keep things in.

Am I the only one whos a fan of lockpick mini games? Honestly it would make sense if you could have a safe or lock box to hide things in, it would then make even more sense to be able to make or find a lock picking kit. The difficulty of the lock could be determined based on the condition and quality of the lock.

Maybe I just play too much skyrim.

Am I the only one whos a fan of lockpick mini games? Honestly it would make sense if you could have a safe or lock box to hide things in, it would then make even more sense to be able to make or find a lock picking kit. The difficulty of the lock could be determined based on the condition and quality of the lock.

Maybe I just play too much skyrim.

It would simply be a skill. High level lock pickers would be OP. Nothing would be safe from them. No one out there just knows how to pick locks. And it's not like there is a skill at making locks. How could someone combat against lock picking if it is a skill? The ability to fight back is important, in Skyrim, it is not.

Locks and Lockpicking, the idea's not bad. The run for locks, special batteries and whatever could add more gameplay and reduce useless PvP for any guns.

rule #1 dont get attached to your gear

• Like 2

It would simply be a skill. High level lock pickers would be OP. Nothing would be safe from them. No one out there just knows how to pick locks. And it's not like there is a skill at making locks. How could someone combat against lock picking if it is a skill? The ability to fight back is important, in Skyrim, it is not.

High level? I think you took what I said in the wrong context.

I'm not implying for a skill system, that's the worse thing that could happen. I mean it could just simply be a test of your patience. No "high" or "low" level. Just how long you feel like fiddling with the darned thing. Being able to tell if you've pushed a tumbler into the correct position or not could simply be determined with a small "click". Remember there is about 6 - 8 tumblers in a lock, it would be time consuming for anyone. I don't see how this would be bad. Being able to store gear and steal it would be there thus evening out the "un-fair" argument.

High level? I think you took what I said in the wrong context.

I'm not implying for a skill system, that's the worse thing that could happen. I mean it could just simply be a test of your patience. No "high" or "low" level. Just how long you feel like fiddling with the darned thing. Being able to tell if you've pushed a tumbler into the correct position or not could simply be determined with a small "click". Remember there is about 6 - 8 tumblers in a lock, it would be time consuming for anyone. I don't see how this would be bad. Being able to store gear and steal it would be there thus evening out the "un-fair" argument.

If it takes more than four hours, I see where you are going, but making this have no skill involved and basically just having the skill be innate is the same thing. It would become easy to do for SKILLED lock pickers. Then they would become OP. How is someone to defend against lock pickers?

So what do you guys do once you have abundance of everything safely locked in your stash? Get bored and play different game?

No safe gear. NO. Maybe better ways to store vehicles and some gear, but never 100% safe.

Edited by Mitor

The WarZ has a safe place to store gear (their Global Inventory) which pretty much makes the game nothing more than a loot farming game. With a large amount of 'safe loot' stored up no one really fears for their lives as there is little to loose from death and you can simply 'rearm' and off you go. NB - I know some of what I have said holds true for Dayz, but I would argue not quite to the same degree.

Disclaimer - Not here to start any kind of WarZ discussion, but rather brought it up as a reference of a game that has (in principle) exactly what the OP is talking about. Moreover, I don't play Warz, but have lurked on their forums somewhat

gambla got a good point! To store items and knowing you have some kind of backup for weapons and rations for hard times (usually dying ;) ) gives a feeling of security in a postapocalyptic zombie world :)

Ok, a lot of people don't like this (old) idea at all. That's fine. But please bear in mind that it's not about "being attached to my gear" at all. It's just my personal and realistic feel as a Survivor that i need to collect and build a stock of food/water, some equipment for surviving. I guess it could be even restricted for non-weapon gear.

So with the current version, we could agree, that looting tons of stuff is fun butdoesn't make much sense, as it's robbed right away. If you like it, fine, but then please tell me (no offense) :

What are you doing in DayZ day by day ?

Gather all the required stuff like food, water, meds and weapons. Once I have it all I'm running out of things to do and growing bored so I'm more reckless and end up getting myself killed.

Even without safe hidout you get everything you need rather quickly and with proper gear its not hard to resupply. The only real risks you take are those moments when you start and need basic survival equipment and later on when you decide its about time to get some nice weapons and go for the military bases and airfields. If you have all these things already safely stored somewhere from previous plays then you never have to go to towns anymore. You probably end up sniping bambies in Cherno cause thers nothing else left to do. Or maybe you set yourself a goal of having 500 cans of beans but I dont see a fun in that.

Thanks for recommending Origin, i really enjoy. I built a house to have my stuff save and it's still great collecting rare items and much more to do. Great mod of a fantastic mod. Of course it's less PVP as you have to make progress as hero or bandit. So people can't complain anymore, there's a choice.

I'm thinking like something similar to stalker stashes: backpacks could be made persistent so you could leave it where you like but if someone kills you they can search you and find all your stash locations. Maybe even all other stash locations you found from other people.

And if you get killed, the stashes you placed with that character get X hours time to live, so someone would have to move it to make it permanent again, to prevent people from placing stashes then killing themselves to hide location.

I don't know, might be too OP or complicated to implement but I would like to see some kind of smaller safer storage. Not with much space, just a few slots.

No safe gear. NO. Maybe better ways to store vehicles and some gear, but never 100% safe.

Exactly. Losing gear on death is what makes the game somewhat balanced when comparing hardcore players vs. people who log on a few hours a week. Sure, the hard core people can build up a base with high end gear, but it can just as easily be discovered and robbed as well.

The only thing I would like to see is some sort of camo tent / cover for vehicles, to help conceal them a bit better.

I've found the best strategy (as already mentioned) is to set up 3-4 single tents and separate your gear. They don't have to be on separate corners of the map, but far enough away (~500m+) from each other, and not in direct line of sight (i.e. you can't see the other tents from each tent's position). That way any loss isn't significant.

But it all goes back to rule #1 - don't get attached to your gear -- you're gonna lose it at some point.

Edited by SilverBulleT