-Gews-

Damage drop-off at range

Nah, theres no windage in standard arma2/DayZ (yet, its planned for an upcoming dayz patch)

Demongroover was just getting excited about the idea of windage and damage drop off combined, and rightfully so, its gonna be bloody great.

Yep, adding wind factors will definitely spice things up. I may even applaud the sniper who shoots me in the head from 800m in a strong wind.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/130854-wind-and-ballistics-system/page__hl__windage

And here I had started a thread talking about ballistics and weapon reliability. Guess I didn't need a balistics part of that thread. Thank you gews for the research on this. You can already see a diffrence between 5.56 and ruasian 7.62. The AK suck damage wise with thise current set up. Though according to balistics the AKs should be more powerful. I'm not going to argue what DayZ is doing with thier math. Its just nice to see a diffrence between the two rounds. The M4/16s are more damaging. Would explain a few things when I was shot from an auto AK.

Why the hell would you be sniping at less than 400 meters? The damage is too reduced. You would not survive two 7.62 shots in most cases..

If you can't 'snipe' at anymore than 400m then you need to reconsider your skill set

Damage really does drop off A LOT in real life, they put a lot of effort into their ArmA model.

Here's a table from a 1976 Aberdeen report on wind drift.

S5rtbcl.png

The bullet starts out fast, 840 m/s!

By 800 meters that has slowed to 335 m/s.

Let's compare that to the 800 meter ArmA velocity and pretend to check damage figures:

ArmA 2: (424/900)*8000 = 3769

Real life: (335/840)*8000 = 3194

In real life it actually drops off more and at 800 meters would only have the energy of a handgun round, and many people survive being shot with handguns.

It's actually lost 85% of its energy in a mere 800 meters!

If anything ArmA is rather generous, in real life you have to actually hit something vital to kill someone. It is sometimes frustrating that I can't make long range one-kill shots with a 7.62 unless I aim very carefully, but I prefer it that way.

I like what you've calculated here Gews <3

But part of the problem is that even at 800 meters you're still being hit and hit hard, people survive handgun wounds because of shot placement as opposed to power and the round from a rifle penetrates much deeper than your standard 9/40/45 will.

You should still be severely wounded (or in the case of the apocalypse guaranteed to die) if you were hit at that range, you couldn't run around like they currently do with a fountain of blood gushing out screaming LELELELELELE U CANT SHOOT HAHA SUXOR.

• Like 1