Sign in to follow this  
xKopic

Is it just me?

What happened with all the DayZ servers? There use to be so many good servers, and now, when I start up the launcher, all i get is "10000+ cars, 50+ choppers, spawn with AS50" This is ridiculous. It's coming to the point where we have to look for a good 15 minutes to find one that doesn't throw gear at your face as soon as you spawn. I don't know if its the community getting lazy and not wanting to find or work for their gear or whats going on.The servers are getting to the point where you cant play the game the way it was made to be played.

Vanilla servers are out there but most players want easy mode it seems.

Said it before, I'll say it again.

If only there was a way to hide servers that aren't vanilla...

ss2013-04-06at093529_zps65de0f6b.png

...Oh.

• Like 3

You'll find Vanilla servers, good luck finding one with any players though... It's a real shame.

I play on one UK498 it has a good population up until 12 midnight,and has everything normal, no weapons etc etc etc it is just plain old chernarus

go play dayz breaking point, its like a dayz over hawl and you start with a taser with one shot and a bandage so it pritty kool

Its the old supply and demand. A lot of players want servers where everything is there ready for them so more of these starter gear, 900 vehicle servers are available.

This is what happens when servers are customisable and why i think a lot of players may be in for a rude shock when the Standalone hits.

• Like 5

Aye, it's unfortunately one of the main reasons why I don't play DayZ much anymore, and I slowly wait for the hyped Standalone release.

I usually find vanilla servers if they are displayed as hardcore is is found to be unofficial.

The best option is to probably administrate your own server, and keeping the old roots of DayZ. Too many softies nowadays...

Don't let the vehicle count fool you. If it says "200+ vehicles", that does not mean there are literally 200 vehicles strewn about the map.

Common misconception.

Anyway, there are a few good vanilla servers out there with a decent amount of players. You just have to dig deep!

Edited by Death Dealer

I think that it is also a matter of repetition and already knowing what to expect. Not so long ago, vanilla Chernarus excited me like no other DayZ map. I had a well hidden camp south of Black Lake on a high population server, and the interactions with other players - most of them bandits or killer clan members - heightened the experience immensely. That was just after 1.7.5.1 was released, and all I could think about beyond survival was finding and trying out some of the cool new guns, and experimenting with the new zombie behavior, etc. Now, I know where every vehicle spawns, how to go to ground and avoid other players, and how to easily defeat the once seemingly impossible new zombies.

I think that some have grown tired of the same map, with the same weapons, roads, spawn points, vehicles, etc. That does not mean I want a 200 vehicle, m4 SD to start experience. I firmly believe that one should spawn in new on a server with just a toothbrush and a bad case of paranoia. However, some out there - many it seems - crave a somewhat fresher experience, and that is something available on a modded private server.

I remain skeptical about the standalone. I worry - especially with console release mentioned - that it will end up turning into Fallout 4, with too many frills. Rocket's original idea remains brilliant; I just hope he is not pressured down a different path.

Myself, I just want to play a hardcore zombie apocalypse survival game, where the zombies are bad guy number one, and the mechanics of survival are truly hellishly difficult.

• Like 3

We're addicted to populated servers. People paying for servers are addicted to filling their servers.

If I have a choice of playing pretty much by myself in a server without side chat, I'll go to the one with 50 people and put up with the annoyance of side chat. It's the same with added vehicles and other crap. This drains the populations of vanilla servers and sends the wrong message to the people running servers.

In my opinion allowing the servers to customize their settings along with a surge in DayZs popularity started this trend. People who just wanted to check out this new viral mod for a game they've never heard of all started to poor in. They opted for easier servers, admins saw the trend and responded, now I'm betting most of the casual gamers have left and a lot of the people still playing the dumbed down server are just doing it out of habit or laziness. They've looted a pistol a hundred times, why cant they just spawn with one?

I think the best bet for DayZ mods' hardcore fans is to get the community behind the idea of a pure dayz experience, maybe even get a tag going in server names([Vanilla] or something) so people can filter for them. Get a few servers that are always filled and other server admins and most importantly, people will follow.

Edited by bad_mojo