Pokerguy12

Footprints on the ground- Dayz Standalone feature suggestion

Features:

Treading over grass/mud leaves footprints on the ground that stay there until logging out of a server.

Mud/dirt stays on character's shoes and leaves prints for a number of footsteps while walking on unorganic terrain (roads, floors, cement pavements)

Practical implications

Watch your back for anyone tailing you, Set traps for your enemies, Stalk players to their camps/ storage depots

Feel the thrill of tracking other players, works along with empty cans left on the ground after consumption.

This would be an awesome and uberrealistic feature :D

Edited by Pokerguy10
  • Like 2

Now just stop and think about how much data the server would have to track if they did that.

• Like 2

It would be a good addition though

In real life you don't leave obvious footprints unless it's been raining and the dirt is soft. Seems a bit ridiculous that you'd leave obvious footprints on grass and then leave dirt footprints on concrete on a sunny day.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

In real life you don't leave obvious footprints unless it's been raining and the dirt is soft. Seems a bit ridiculous that you'd leave obvious footprints on grass and then leave dirt footprints on concrete on a sunny day.

Weather variables.

Wasn't there talk of around 150 players per server? How many steps do you take in a play session? Times that by 150 and thats a fuckload of footsteps for the server to record. Nice idea but not practical.

Wasn't there talk of around 150 players per server? How many steps do you take in a play session? Times that by 150 and thats a fuckload of footsteps for the server to record. Nice idea but not practical.

hmm I wonder if server tech can do this. YET.
  • Like 1

It can be something as simple as a decal, like a bullet hole when you shoot a wall in BF3. In order for this to work it has to be a very server performance friendly addition.

there is blood trail in Arma 3 but not sure for how long it stays.

anyway you should get very, very, very dirty to left footprints more then 100m

even when you step in small water - footprints is max 20m

As everyone says, not really possible but nice idea. If they can do that then maybe they should add a sense of smell too. Like a vapour trail lol I've not come across any deodorants in Chernaus as of yet...

Its a good suggestion, but as others have said, the server wouldn't be able to handle it.

I don't know. How many trees and bushes does the server keep track of? Or individual pieces of loot? Rocket already said he's tracking player info in like every single can you drop.

You wouldn't want to keep track of every single footstep either. Maybe just the last 10 minutes. I mean what's the point knowing someone walked past Gvozno 4 hours ago?

I don't know. How many trees and bushes does the server keep track of? Or individual pieces of loot? Rocket already said he's tracking player info in like every single can you drop.

You wouldn't want to keep track of every single footstep either. Maybe just the last 10 minutes. I mean what's the point knowing someone walked past Gvozno 4 hours ago?

There is no point, its just something that happens in real life.

On a side note:

You can expect Gvonzo to be looted clean

You my stumble upon his rotting corpse to loot

You can follow the footsteps and eventually soemthing will come up along the way