splinter2k

Question for fellow Admins - Combat Logging

Greetings,

I have a question for my fellow admins out there. How do you handle Combat Logging? For example, take a look at the following log entries and specifically the time stamps:

Line 45380: 13:27:54 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 45852: 13:44:03 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 52178: 16:16:04 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 52315: 16:19:25 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 56503: 5:27:41 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 60177: 7:30:39 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 60261: 7:33:04 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 60601: 7:41:58 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 60653: 7:43:21 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 60837: 7:47:34 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 61073: 7:54:30 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

Line 61113: 7:55:39 "COMBAT LOGGED: Player Name Removed"

My gut feel is to to not Kick/Ban for the occasional entry, but does this seem a bit excessive to you?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Splinter

combat logging should be handled with justice. any sort of combat logging should have punishment, id say 24 hour bans, but multiples will lead to perma bans.

however, was it the same person?

combat logging should be handled with justice. any sort of combat logging should have punishment, id say 24 hour bans, but multiples will lead to perma bans.

however, was it the same person?

Yes, this was the same person.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not a server-admin, but in forums it always worked very well to warn first, cooldown-ban as a second step and permanently ban on repeated offense.

Usually if it's the 3rd offense, no one can argue that the ban was not legitimate.

Well what we tend to do is have the players report in with visual evidence of the combat logging. If they post up a FRAPS video then boom jobs easy,

But when looking through the logs it's pretty hard to get it right, really you need both sides of the party being honest and that's not going to happen. So best we can do is look at the logout location, the logout time and what his character stats were at the time of DC. normally we warn players, 3 day ban for the second offence and if they are stupid enough to pull it off a 3rd time it's perma ban time!

Combat loggers ruin the nature and experience of a firefight and it's an exploit witch in my books is as close to cheating you can get.

If i get a report of combat logging, and i can verify it with logs, or video. I will hand out 24hour to 3 day bans, depending on the nature. It ruins the game, even the DayZ dev team have attempted to squash the problem by refusing ALT+4 and putting a 30sec cooldown on abort.

Not an Admin, first of all, but looking at the time codes kinda raises a few questions in my mind. The few people who I hear about who combat log usually wait 30+ mins to a few hours before logging back in, otherwise they normally get shot in the face by they person they were logging from. Not trying to defend this guy if he is a combat logger, but it might be possible that he just had a really shitty connection. Of course he could just be really stupid too. "Durr...maybe that sniper left in the two minuets it took me to log off and on?"

Thanks to all for the replies and opinions.

Regards,

Splinter

In general, I try to keep things loose on my group. If its something people complain about on a continuous basis - I'll talk to the player and let them know they are annoying me by annoying others. If after you talk to them they don't take the hint, and you keep getting complaints, My size 7 is kicking out.

It's hard to make a decision based on the logs alone as you don't have the full story. I only take action if I get multiple complaints about the same player.

The rules we enforce on our server are as follows:

24 hours ban & character deletion first offense

A 2nd confirmed offense results in a permanent ban.

If you cannot take the chance of death in DayZ you should not be playing.