Dalton (DayZ)

READ: Lets get these Lighthouses up and running

Gas wood and some matches' date=' Old school lighthouse... Lighthouses have been around since the late 1700's

[/quote']

...you mean since the 3rd century BC. :idea:

Great idea, even if they were just stationary old-school lighthouses, modified by the military soon after the outbreak before zombies took over.

A large bowl of wood, ready to be set on fire, have a spawn point on the tower for matches and increased spawn chances in nearby towns for matches.

Or they could have been modified to be gas powered, with a gas tank attached to the lighthouse, so the tank would need to be filled with jerry cans and turned on (via a handle) and the top lit with matches. Something like 1 jerry can = 2 hours of light, with the gas tank itself able to hold 5 jerry cans worth at one time. And at any time the lighthouse can be turned off by the handle to save gas. And a guage can be on the gas tank to show how much gas is in, like:

northern-industrial-tools-air-pressure-gauge-14in-inlet-200-psi.jpg

And they would need to give off generous light, lighting the coast and hills in the distance, so it's actually possible to see at night around the coast.

And the generator ideas are great, it would be nice if being in DayZ at night was actually pleasant, and wasn't completely pitch black. Even if flood lights were added around the cities that could be powered, one flood light at each side of a city, shining light down the main roads and streets. Each flood light with its own electricity generator at the base requiring jerry cans to power. And they would run about as noisy as a car engine.

Like:

FloodLights.jpg

Mainly the big cities, Cherno, Elektro, Berezino, a single flood light overlooking Stary Sobor and the like. Air strips should have multiple flood lights to really light the place up. You get the idea.

I'm definately up for lighting up the night, I always avoid playing at night, can't see anything...

Nice add good man, What server you play on, would love to group with like minded survivors

Nice add good man' date=' What server you play on, would love to group with like minded survivors

[/quote']

I've only been playing for the past 2 - 3 days or so, but I studied the game through youtube for quite a while, so I tend to randomly pick a server, I haven't found any favorites, I often go for european ones since I get the best ping (being from the UK). If you have a favorite, I'll drop in sometime.

To keep it on topic, I think the floodlights would really add to the atmosphere, they wouldn't light every last thing up, but they would sort of throw a glow of light down the streets, only really lighting up the directly surrounding area, which I can imagine would become fairly dangerous to be around. And the generator to power them would/could sound like an engine, so it would attract zombies.

Backstory wise, for them to make sense... "The Military did it", works well, for night time operations in the main cities before the outbreak took over.

+ 1 for this idea.

IMO the lighthouses sbould need fuel via jerry can and matches to light the lamp at the top.

I think the jerrycan tooltip says something about powering generators...

so why not make a generator powering the lighthouse, so whatever group holds it can control the ligth beam and maybe help get supplies from a nearby city at nigth...something like that.

Unfortunately, the current Arma 2 engine doesn't support global illumination, so even with a manned spot up there, you couldn't illuminate the whole town, just a circle of light, with no light bounce outside of that circle.

It would be a cool, easter-eggy thing to do but I don't see much practical application (maybe in Arma 3!!)

I found an article the other day where Rocket says they can make power work....

They just are going to be rolling it out slow

If they put a generator outside to power it. A lamp as loot. Sounds like a good idea. But what's going to keep the snipers from sitting across from it waiting. The lighthouse user should have the ability to aim the light. Now we're talking.

Cool an interview with Rocket I don't think I read... more stuff....

Watching it now.... Yeah! Stand-alone...... Awesome.

• Like 1

You guys seem to forget lighthouses are MOST important during storms, and storms tend to knock out power in coastal areas fairly easily. Therefore, by necessity, almost every lighthouse ever built had a backup electricity system. Some had generators, some had windmills, and my great-uncle even worked in a lighthouse where some technical genius had figured out how to wire in a lead-acid U-boat battery some GIs had taken from a Nazi naval base in France.

I do love the idea.

It could turn into a community symbol for "new players regroup here", since it's on the coast and that's where new players spawn. Perhaps it could be a trading site to let new guys cash in their bandage and painkillers for a hatchet or something.

And of course it could be infiltrated by stealthy bandits, left operational, and used as a trap.

Love it so much. You guys who don't see a use for it need to remember the main objective of this game is to cause emergent gameplay.

• Like 1

Story about your Great Uncle and his time working around a lighthouse is awesome. Glad you like the idea. I totally agree with the main idea being an immersive gameplay experience

Gas wood and some matches' date=' Old school lighthouse... Lighthouses have been around since the late 1700's

[/quote']

You are a very stupid man, light houses have been around for thousands of years you poop sack.

Calm down there Theironhand before getting crazy, I was just stating that more traditional lighthouses with a lamp and lens weren't until the 1700's not that lighthouses didn't exist before then.

Pre-1700s lighthouses, such as the Lighthouse of Alexandria, were basically elevated bonfires.

An there's NO reason to get hostile. Literally zero reason whatsoever.

I LOVE THIS IDEA. Imagine a sos distress sent through a lighthouse in morse

Distress signals would be a great addition

You guys seem to forget lighthouses are MOST important during storms, and storms tend to knock out power in coastal areas fairly easily. Therefore, by necessity, almost every lighthouse ever built had a backup electricity system. Some had generators, some had windmills, and my great-uncle even worked in a lighthouse where some technical genius had figured out how to wire in a lead-acid U-boat battery some GIs had taken from a Nazi naval base in France.

Was thinking of this story again today and it is epic. I truly hope we get the ability to get the lighthouses up and running