FPS performance low on new rig.

Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Intel i7 3770 3.4GHz

Stock Intel Fan

Corsair Vengeance (2x 4GB) 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

EVGA GeForce Nvidia GTX 680 2GB

MSI Z77 MPower Intel Motherboard

Cooler Master 992 HAF Full-Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

120GB SSD Intel

Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W PC Gaming ATX Power Supply TR2 RX 80 Plus Bronze

22.5" Acer LCD Widescreen Monitor

5.1 Logitech Surround Sound

Turtle Beach Black Ops 2 Headset

Logitech G105 (MW3) Keyboard

Steel Series Sensei

Nvidia Settings

ambient Occlusion: off

anisotropic filtering: app controlled

antialiasing - fxaa: off

antialiasing gamma correction: on

antialiasing transparency: off

CUDA - GPUs: all

Maximum pre-rendered frames: use 3d app setting

multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration: single display performance mode

power management mode: prefer maximum performance

texture filtering - anisotrpic sample opt.: on

texture filtering negative LOD bias: allow

texture filtering quality: high performance

texture filtering - trilinear opt: auto

triple buffering: off

vsync: use 3d app setting

arma2OA tweaks

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2091581440;

nonlocalVRAM=2147479552;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

Windowed=0;

Profile.arma2OA

version=2;

blood=2;

singleVoice=0;

anisoFilter=0;

TexQuality=3;

TexMemory=4;

useWBuffer=0;

tripleHead=0;

shadingQuality=0;

shadowQuality=2;

mouseSmoothing=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

sceneComplexity=150000;

viewDistance=1600.0001;

terrainGrid=50;

volumeCD=0;

volumeFX=8.5;

volumeSpeech=5.5;

volumeVoN=6.5;

vonRecThreshold=0.029999999;

gamma=1;

brightness=1.0365794;

fovTop=0.75;

fovLeft=1.3333334;

Startup parameters

-high -cpucount=4 -exthreads=7 -maxmem=2047 -nosplash -world=empty -nopause

texture detail low

video memory default

anisotropic filtering off

antialiasing off

ATOC off

Terrian detail very low

object detail very low

shadow detail normal

HDR normal

PPAA off

post processing off

This is everything tweak and trick i used and i still cannot achieve 50+ frames in cities. there is no excuse for low performance on the lowest settings possible. what gives? I have absolutely no idea what is wrong. i wanna get ARMA3 but im scared to death of these performance issues. are they even resolved? and DAYZ standalone is borrowing ARMA3 programing. and that scares me even more!

This is everything tweak and trick i used and i still cannot achieve 50+ frames in cities. there is no excuse for low performance on the lowest settings possible. what gives? I have absolutely no idea what is wrong. i wanna get ARMA3 but im scared to death of these performance issues. are they even resolved? and DAYZ standalone is borrowing ARMA3 programing. and that scares me even more!

The ARMA 2 engine was released in 2009. It has been poorly optimized ever since.

Most people that come here with performance issues seem to have an i7 of some sort, so I'm guessing the optimization is getting ever worse with newer processors the game never even considered.

It's silly to think that ARMA 3 will be as bad, though. The engine will be a different, newer one, which is a lot better optimized with modern hardware in mind. Same with the Standalone.

Getting 50 frames... Hell even 45 in a city is actually decent.

Not sure why you would get an I7 with a stock fan, especially after spending that much on other goodies. I'd get a liquid cooler and OC your CPU. Might help... I know most people would be happy with 45 frames. Don't think you will find many people feeling like you have a problem. Arma 2 and DayZ mod aren't exactly the most optimized game. Arma 3 is in alpha still... but will run much better than DayZ mod.

• Like 1

50FPS in cities is really good.

You should try putting some settings higher and seeing what works best. It's counter intuitive but putting everything on low is generally worse for performance (if you have a decent PC) as it essentially puts everything on your CPU instead of using your graphics card. As an example if you have shadows on normal or anything below that it will be calculated on your CPU, high and very high will use your GPU.

Edited by smasht_AU

Putting your video settings on low can actually affect performance negativey so try upping some of the settings. Arma 3 is far better optimised already BTW as it's a modern game.

Ninjad :'(

Edited by Fraggle

On default it should autodetect his 2Gb card fine.

• Like 1

Putting your video settings on low can actually affect performance negativey so try upping some of the settings. Arma 3 is far better optimised already BTW as it's a modern game.

Ninjad :'(

Would anyone please specify all settings which should be above normal / low?

I heard smasht_AU say shadows <= normal will cause the CPU to generate shadows (so I am going to bump mine back up when I get home from work), but what other features should be increased to move the calculation from CPU to GPU?

I have an i5 2400, single radeon 6870 and 4gb of ram. Currently post processing antistropic filtering and Antialiasing are all disabled. I think everything else is at normal (object detail may be on high).

Also video memory is at default.

Edited by walten34

Video Memory needs to be set to Very High for a start these days.

Setting it on high can limit it. Default is always the way forward.

Issue is that you are using i7, hyper-threading reduces 10% of performance with ARMA II. That is where you problem is. The max perforamance an i7 has over an i5 is just 4%, however it comes with a minus 10% performance for other games. i7 is not worth it if you are into gaming, get i5. It is more stable. Or Xeon.

Getting 50 frames... Hell even 45 in a city is actually decent.

Not sure why you would get an I7 with a stock fan, especially after spending that much on other goodies. I'd get a liquid cooler and OC your CPU. Might help... I know most people would be happy with 45 frames. Don't think you will find many people feeling like you have a problem. Arma 2 and DayZ mod aren't exactly the most optimized game. Arma 3 is in alpha still... but will run much better than DayZ mod.

its not the unlocked version so theres no point to get a cpu cooler. when i need to upgrade again i will have this in mind

I'm finding that using Default with my 7870 2GB does cause the .cfg file to show that the game's expecting 2GB of VRAM, but I get 15-20FPS in the woods and Afterburner is reporting only 550-600 MB of VRAM being used.

Using Very High, I see up to 1600MB of VRAM being used and get 80+FPS in the woods. I've actually enabled Post Porcessing on Low to get the depth of field blurring and enabled Vysnc to stop stop the frame tearing I see when looking over my shoulder while sprinting at 70+FPS.

As this happens on both Arma 2 OA Stable and Beta versions, I suspect this is down to some change in AMD VRAM implementation or something odd in Catalyst Control Centre..