tearran

3rd Person View, why I support it, and why it should stay in game

First off, there is a reason why third person view is in Arma, and why Dayz was modded onto the Arma platform. The Reason? Realism!

Now I know most of you, especially those who come from BF3, COD, or any other fps will be crying foul, but you have been taught that FPS is what real field of view should look like, I will show you in this thread that its wrong. FPS lack peripheral vision, something us humans use almost every moment of every day. 3rd person was put into arma to account for lack of FOV I.e scanning to see what was in front of you and at your sides as well as making sure your in proper cover, and first person was to be used for aiming and firing.

1# reason you should stop demanding 3rd person be out of the game. Because servers can chose to turn it on or off. There are plenty of FPV servers, and there will probably be even more as the mod gains popularity. Dont like 3rd person? DON'T PLAY ON 3rdPV SERVERS. First person servers always full? Demand more from your community or rent your own. Pretty simple.

1# reason 3rd person is more realistic then First Person - Field of View. (other then the fact you see your own body)

Example.

FPS FOV (field of view) For most Videogames, is anywhere from 60-90 degrees, depending on how old the game is, and who made it.

3rd Person FOV in arma, is around 170-180ish degrees, meaning you have very good vision to your left and right.

Human FOV is around 180 degrees or more. How do i know this? Simple test you can preform yourself right now. Hold both your hands up to your ears palms facing forward, thumbs touching the base of your ears. Spread your fingers and wiggle them while looking straight forward. You can see your fingers move, in fact some people will probably be able to see the entire front of your hand. in a standard FPS POV, this would be impossible.

Here is an example for your clarification:

Fov.png

Notice how the human FOV is much greater then a Standard FPS, allowing for peripheral vision. Arma II 3rd only gives the advantage of the FOV starting behind the character about a meter, but also allows you to see if your in cover properly, or if your exposing yourself, something many players find hard to do in first person perspective.

Other issues people are complaining about being able to see around corners and out windows without exposing yourself. My counter to this argument Is that in FPV, you basically have to expose the entire upper half your of body to "peak". Where as in real life, you would only have to expose enough of your body to get one eye around the corner. Same thing with looking out windows. I know this is a weak argument but i feel its more realistic to see out window/ around corners unexposed, then to expose most of your body.

Anyway /rant over.

Basically the gist of it is, Don't take it out of the game, just continue to give servers there own preference.

I don't like how all the FPS people want to dictate how *everyone* plays because they personally suck with 3rd person. To me, third person makes this game way more interesting.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Stop bitching about 3rd or 1st person. If you prefer one compared to another then go to a server that forces it. There is nothing more simple than that. You guys are wasting your breathe arguing. Arma isn't going to change their mind nor is the Dayz mod so stop bitching like little school girls.

i think if you like the 3rd person camera you will like be inside of the tower enjoy the video :)

+1 to this thread.

Santa, the guy inside could have done the same thing. Sit behind the corner and look around using 3rd person view, camp it out. If he didn't to that it's his own fault.

I personally love third person. In addition to the FOV issue, it can sometimes reveal bleeding that isn't actually shown on your HUD (but occurs none the less, painfully reminding you of that when you've relogged).

Also, the ability to look around corners with 3rd person is a wonderful tool against zombies, who can see through walls FAR too often for my taste.

The only reason why I shy away from servers that have it, is because those servers also have long distance name scanning - I really don't need to help the bandits with sniper rifles like that, they gank me just fine without it!

+1 to this thread.

Santa' date=' the guy inside could have done the same thing. Sit behind the corner and look around using 3rd person view, camp it out. If he didn't to that it's his own fault.

[/quote']

is better if no one can do this shiny trick, 3rd person camera is when you play whit ai, not whit real people :)

I don't care what mode people choose to play as long as it doesn't damage the game I'm trying to play. One of my best mates prefers to jump back and forth between TPS and FPS all the time when we are on "regular" servers... I stick with FPS only.

As for the logic of the OP? You know in the original Arma 2 that first person is considered the default mode? That the difficulty level that lets you use 3rd person is called "Cadet"? That cadet = trainee, beginner, easy, n00b?

It was included in Arma for training, particularly in the use of vehicles, and for commander mode against AI. It was never intended for PVP use but if that's what floats your boat and you can find a server that will let you do it, fine.

Again, that difficulty likely bears the name because of the other helpful thingies included.

TPS alone does not constitute easy mode.

+1 to this thread.

Santa' date=' the guy inside could have done the same thing. Sit behind the corner and look around using 3rd person view, camp it out. If he didn't to that it's his own fault.

[/quote']

is better if no one can do this shiny trick, 3rd person camera is when you play whit ai, not whit real people :)

Well bro, that's your opinion, and I'm fine with that. :)

My opinion, however, is, that the 3rd person view feels way better in this game. The gameplay is smoother, it's easier to control and it's easier to keep the overview over situations.

I do see your point though, but I still don't agree with people that simply want the 3rd person view disabled for everyone. There should be more veteran servers to play on instead.

I really wonder what rocket thinks about this.

I said this before and I say it again: I don't mind if people want to play with TPS when they want, as long as there are servers for people like me who absolutely despise third person and crosshairs. The thing is that third Person gives the "Camper" (bad choice of words but I don't know any better), who has a natural advantage an even bigger advantage. I have about 3 years of experience in Arma 2 and the amound of times I avoided death or got the drop on someone because I know exactly how to abuse the system is ridiculous!

It's been getting so stupid over the last days with the influx of new players that I entirely stopped playing on servers that have TPS enabled.

IMO a system that is so prone to abuse has absolutely NO place in a game with PvP elements. To make things worse all the servers I played on that have TPS enabled also have crosshairs enabled which leads to mindboggling stupid situations.

If people want to play in TPS, fine - as long as there are enough 'hardcore' servers available.

just my 0.2$

only a few servers have no crooshair and 3rd person camera off

a lot of people play whit crooshair an external camera,

need more harcore servers :)

@tearran

wow this actually makes sense. never knew this. watch how the ofp engine was lightyears ahead of its time. mind you all naysayers.

It's a feature of Arma 2 as well but they can be disabled serverside. I don't mind them, some do. I know EU3 has them enabled. I'm btw one of those players that absolutely hate playing on servers with 3rd person and crosshairs but each to their on. As long as there are servers that support my preferences I'm fine.

3rd person in PvP just lets snipers and other griefers sit behind walls in complete cover and concealment and watch other players move in the open. They pop up, shoot, and go prone, and nobody knows where they were. Its the oldest trick in the book, and has been exploited since OFP way back in the day.

If controlling your character in first person mode is too dificult for you, your admitting to being a noob. I'm not calling you a noob, you are declaring to the entire ArmA community that you are an FNG, and suck at the game, plain as day. No hate, no disrespect, thats just how it is. And your completely wrong about the FOV being 180+ degrees, you might get 5-10 more degrees than first person, but at the same time, everything is zoomed out farther. Enjoy getting killed from nowhere much? you kids are silly...

Third person mode is easier than first person mode. Thats about all the opnion i have on that.

Anyhow its crying FOUL, crying fowl is making chicken noises, again possibly related to third person ez mode.

First off' date=' there is a reason why third person view is in Arma, and why Dayz was modded onto the Arma platform. The Reason? Realism!

Now I know most of you, especially those who come from BF3, COD, or any other fps will be crying fowl, but you have been taught that FPS is what real field of view should look like, I will show you in this thread that its wrong. FPS lack peripheral vision, something us humans use almost every moment of every day. 3rd person was put into arma to account for lack of FOV I.e scanning to see what was in front of you and at your sides as well as making sure your in proper cover, and first person was to be used for aiming and firing.

1# reason you should stop demanding 3rd person be out of the game. Because servers can chose to turn it on or off. There are plenty of FPV servers, and there will probably be even more as the mod gains popularity. [b']Dont like 3rd person? DON'T PLAY ON 3rdPV SERVERS. First person servers always full? Demand more from your community or rent your own. Pretty simple.

1# reason 3rd person is more realistic then First Person - Field of View. (other then the fact you see your own body)

Example.

FPS FOV (field of view) For most Videogames, is anywhere from 60-90 degrees, depending on how old the game is, and who made it.

3rd Person FOV in arma, is around 170-180ish degrees, meaning you have very good vision to your left and right.

Human FOV is around 180 degrees or more. How do i know this? Simple test you can preform yourself right now. Hold both your hands up to your ears palms facing forward, thumbs touching the base of your ears. Spread your fingers and wiggle them while looking straight forward. You can see your fingers move, in fact some people will probably be able to see the entire front of your hand. in a standard FPS POV, this would be impossible.

Here is an example for your clarification:

Fov.png

Notice how the human FOV is much greater then a Standard FPS, allowing for peripheral vision. Arma II 3rd only gives the advantage of the FOV starting behind the character about a meter, but also allows you to see if your in cover properly, or if your exposing yourself, something many players find hard to do in first person perspective.

Other issues people are complaining about being able to see around corners and out windows without exposing yourself. My counter to this argument Is that in FPV, you basically have to expose the entire upper half your of body to "peak". Where as in real life, you would only have to expose enough of your body to get one eye around the corner. Same thing with looking out windows. I know this is a weak argument but i feel its more realistic to see out window/ around corners unexposed, then to expose most of your body.

Anyway /rant over.

Basically the gist of it is, Don't take it out of the game, just continue to give servers there own preference.

Stop being a wannabe smart crybaby already.

Try to be smart and edit your .cfg

fov = 2 * arctan(fovleft or fovtop/initfov)*180/pi

initfov is 1 afaik. 1.6 or so if you press minus

edit

fovLeft=x;

fovTop=y;

x/y must be your resolution x/y or the picture will look distorted.

I you can't make it that far double press minus which should set your fov to about 120° with 1:1 settings.

That 3rd person thing is a nice excuse for wanting noob vision.

FPV, try it, learn it, get used to it. The immersion factor is so much more greater with FPV.

In any case, servers should standardize their settings so that you know what u are connecting to. Now almost all servers have Regular mode and it is 50/50 if there is a)TPV b)crosshair enabled.

Btw, OP left out from his statement the negative sides of TPV. Both FPV and TPV have good sides and bad sides. Imo the bad stuff for TPV (seeing over obstacles, abusive opportunities in PvP) outweigh the little benefit from larger field of view.

The link posted earlier pretty much summarizes why TPV and crosshair should not be enabled in PvP scenarios.