BlessedHeretic

Hatchet can no longer be in tool slot

hatchet for wood

axe for melee

simple and effective

Agreed' date=' my bad - this was how it was supposed to be. Will be fixed soon.

[/quote']

Thank God :D

Down the road, I would also suggest that other 'tools' have dual use (weapon/tool), such as the knife... How about a sword or katana? A bayonet?

hatchet for wood

axe for melee

simple and effective

Agreed' date=' my bad - this was how it was supposed to be. Will be fixed soon.

[/quote']

Having two separate items, both of which have a blade of similar size and sharpness attached to a wooden shaft -- but one of which which magically can cut wood but not zombie flesh, and one of which cuts flesh but not wood, is terribly unrealistic. There needs to be some compromise: put the crowbar in the tool slot or some such thing.

Not sure if this is the case or not, but some of the houses have a chopping block outside with an axe in it, can we have axes spawning there? It would make sense!

Well me personally have never found an axe. And I prefer the up close Silent Ninja Kills of Melee weapons, vs the COD Soldier weapons that draw a horde of infected. I did the latest update and have been killing with the hatchet. Love it, although it sometimes makes the infected get knocked back like 50feet when i hit them, kinda funny.

I need more melee weapons. Bats, Machete's, Swords, Spears. Hell all of them may even be in the game, but I have yet to see them. So if they are in game they need more spawns. But a Machete has always been my ideal weapon in case of a zombie apocalypse.

But as far as Axe Vs Hatchet. Honestly if this was real life and you had to kill zombies, almost nobody would pick an Axe to kill zombies with. It's heavier, and takes longer to swing. A Hatchet is made to be used with a single Hand, and its sharp. In a Jam like you get ambushed a Hatchet is the more logical choice to fight your way out with vs a Axe which the infected can grab the handle very easily.

But if it was up to me Axe's, and Hatchet's are nice. A TOMAHAWK is WAY Better. About the size and weight of a Hatchet, still has the axe head on one side, with a nice big spike on the other side. I would love nothing more than to spike a zombie with a Tomahawk, then chop the head off with the second swing.

(My person real life Tomahawk) United® M48 Kommando Survival Rescue Axe Yellow

You can have a complete workshop on your back because a toolbox' date=' tank trap kit, entrenching tool and wire fencing kit take up only 1 slot each? And I am not going to drop my weapon with the glitches that are still around, I only want to drop my weapon if I want to get rid of it.

I am not going to upgrade to 1.7.1.2 until this has been resolved.

BTW: An entrenching tool would also make a nice melee weapon.

[/quote']

AXE taking 10 slots = MADNESS!

AXE as melee = SPARTA!

has anyone tried it out yet?

I reckon i'll be avoiding 1.7.1.2 for now......(we'll see how long that lasts)

shame shame

So what happens to my character if I already have the hatchet in the tool slot? will it automatically get moved to main inventory and trash my weapon when I log in? I am currently 'holding' someone elses rareish weapon so I dont want to take a risk and try it.

You are gonna HATE the character wipes that come with alpha. ^___^

Best way to resolve this is to use real backpacks and real tools' date=' equipment, etc. and test how much space all this takes up.

[/quote']

An ACE-like weight system would be infinitely superior, at the moment a toolbox takes up the same amount of space as a box of matches :).

Down the road' date=' I would also suggest that other 'tools' have dual use (weapon/tool), such as the knife... How about a sword or katana? A bayonet?

[/quote']

Yeah... katana... from the supermarket... come on... where should you find a katana?! Sounds pretty stupid to me... no offense but pls... why do people want katanas in this game? Sword ok... only spawning in castles... but honestly I think an axe, crowbar and the knife would be enough. Katana... facepalmed when I first read this in another thread...

Never understood why you need a hatchet to get wood in the first place. I've been wild camping many times and it's pretty easy to make a fire with deadwood or snapping small branches. Your knee or your foot is more use than a hatchet.

So my suggestion is, just remove the whole need-a-hatchet-to-gather wood mechanic. Axe is now a melee weapon, and takes up meleee weapon slots. To get wood, just go into a forest and click a gather wood icon. Simples.

Not sure if this is the case or not' date=' but some of the houses have a chopping block outside with an axe in it, can we have axes spawning there? It would make sense!

[/quote']

And firewood. (they usually have a stack of wood, too)

How about knife hatchet and entrenching tool as dual purpose items. Tool and weapon. Should be a right click to enable weapon mode thing and go to the secondary position when enabled.

Just an idea.

Have you ever made a fire in the woods before? You don't even need a hatchet to find enough wood to cook some steaks. The stuff literally grows on trees' date=' man, and you can break the branches right off with your hands, but you don't need to because there is plenty of wood already on the ground. Shoot, with a hatchet or a knife, you don't even need matches to start a fire.

Ten inventory slots just to be able to make a fire is silly.

[/quote']

This. It is a lot easier to build a fire with dead wood you pick up off the ground than with wood you have to chop off trees. You should be able to just gather wood in a forest with no tools. Also, the matchbox should be replaced with flint and steel, or just flint and you need the hunting knife too in order to make a fire.

I like keeping the hatchet out of the tool slot. That was unrealistic and made the game a breeze once you had a full tool kit. I don't think the game needs to be made easier. Wood is plentiful enough (I suppose they could make some random wood piles spawn in forests) and it adds another incentive to go without a primary gun for the hatchet.