Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

SA: server hopping

My god this is going to be a such a problem in the standalone. I mean, a massive problem.

Right now, it's not that big a deal. But who remembers back before private hives? I never approached the barracks alone because I knew there was a very high chance of someone spawning in three feet away, or sometimes, in the very rooms themselves.

Now compare this to the standalone: Items are spawned in at the start of the server. There's no need for any of this bullshit about running around. You get in, look around. Everything's spawned. You don't need to run away and come back, or spawn further out. You can spawn directly into the room itself, get all the loot, leave, and go to another server and do the same again.

Am I the only one who's beginning to think that this is going to be the single biggest problem in the standalone? Fuck immersion breaking. All of the fire stations will be picked clean constantly by server hoppers. Churches will be. So will bars. And don't even get me started on deer stands and military tents.

The barracks will be a no-go zone for anyone with a brain, because they'll be picked clean the instant they have loot in them, and server-hoppers will make approaching them an insane prospect. It's like trying to watch out for an enderman. He can just teleport three feet behind you, appear out of nowhere.

Now, compound the current DayZ game state, with the fact that zombies will be harder. Losing them will be harder. Everything will be pretty much harder. Do you think these ADD-as-fuck CoD kiddies that infest the game at present, will be able to handle having to LOOK for their gear? No. They'll pick a random house, server hop until they get a primary or a secondary, and then run for a military area to do the same.

I think the standalone will be broken by this for the first few months... I'll probably play for a week, and then never touch it again until private hives are enabled.

• Like 3

Indeed an high-population of aggressive Z could easily lead to entering an isolated barn, server hop 4-5 times, find the nearest deer stand, server hop 5-10 times, find an isolated house, server hop 4-5 times and get full gear with minimum risk.

However, it is such an evident mechanism that I believe the developers have considered that. If not ... well I am a fan of private servers anyway.

_Anubis_

Indeed an high-population of aggressive Z could easily lead to entering an isolated barn, server hop 4-5 times, find the nearest deer stand, server hop 5-10 times, find an isolated house, server hop 4-5 times and get full gear with minimum risk.

However, it is such an evident mechanism that I believe the developers have considered that. If not ... well I am a fan of private servers anyway.

_Anubis_

The problem is...what possible mechanics could they put in place?

In that other game I believe that they made Z's spawn on top of you if you server-hopped.

then they tried forcing you outside into the spawns, which led to spawn camping on every single server.

Each possible way to stop server hopping has exploits, except tying your loot to that server - private hives.

Even if they made it so that you can't server hop...that fucks over people like me with inconsistent internet. I get kicked for ping on at LEAST 80% of servers I play on. And then I move to a different one and cross my fingers, hoping for the best.

Simply put, there's no 'magic bullet' to stop this kind of bullshit metagaming, and there never will be. Except private hives. And the most stringent of anti-hopping systems... they'll just find a way around them.

There are possible in-game mechanism: to reduce server-hopping: the system could for example not allow to respawn if other players are too close and eliminate any loot nearby the player upon respawning. The latter check should be good enough to prevent me standing on a deer stand and server-hopping until I get 20 SD mags...

The only solution that defeats server-hopping is, obviously, a private server.

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_

There are possible in-game mechanism: to reduce server-hopping: the system could for example not allow to respawn if other players are too close and eliminate any loot nearby the player upon respawning. The latter check should be good enough to prevent me standing on a deer stand and server-hopping until I get 20 SD mags...

The only solution that defeats server-hopping is, obviously, a private server.

_Anubis_

I've actually just come up with an elegant solution to server hopping! :D to the suggestion forum!

It really comes down to how loot is handled imo, if it's like the mod and you have some buildings (baracks etc) that have high end military loot then some players are going to server hop and others are going to camp outside those buildings waiting for hoppers to load in for easy kills. If loot is a lot more random then it's probably not going to be as big of a deal as you will be better of checking every building in a town rather then server hopping one of them.

Edited by smasht_AU

In my opinion they could just make it like they do on whitelisted prive hives, if for example there are 2 servers setup to the same hive, if you want to DC and join the other, you must wait a certain amount of minutes. Say for example, 15. Then it would stop a lot of people in my opinion.

Edited by MooneyS20

Keep all character information Server side.... like on Warcraft.. 200+ servers but you can't move your character between them.

problem solved.

Keep all character information Server side.... like on Warcraft.. 200+ servers but you can't move your character between them.

problem solved.

You mean.... a private hive?

I need a massive facepalm image. But I can't find one large enough.

• Like 1

It really comes down to how loot is handled imo, if it's like the mod and you have some buildings (baracks etc) that have high end military loot then some players are going to server hop and others are going to camp outside those buildings waiting for hoppers to load in for easy kills. If loot is a lot more random then it's probably not going to be as big of a deal as you will be better of checking every building in a town rather then server hopping one of them.

That still would not stop a group taking over the NWA as our group has done on numberous occasions and just camp all the buildings.

Xianyu has brought up a great point that I can't see any fix for other than private hives. I'd love to see it fixed as it was a major problem with pub hives and still is.

Divide the map into different sections each with not more than medium-high level loot spawn location. Everytime you server hop you spawn on a random spot in the area so you will never be on the exact same spot which sort of solves this problem.

That still would not stop a group taking over the NWA as our group has done on numberous occasions and just camp all the buildings.

Xianyu has brought up a great point that I can't see any fix for other than private hives. I'd love to see it fixed as it was a major problem with pub hives and still is.

Actually, in that theoretical situation, there's nothing stopping me from picking you all off. Because you can't magically appear and disappear from the server.

Another idea could be to relocate people to one of the normal respawn points (maybe add more spawning points in land or so), whenever they join a new server, but remembering the last visited server and its location to prevent people who just crash or loses connection from having to start by the coast/random spot. This would make people want to stay on their 'main server', but still have the possibility to change server to play with friends or whatever.

I mean, what reasons is people having to stay on the same place whenever they change server unless it's for some kind of looting in mind?

I do realize that this might make some people wait for fully geared players at some of the coast spawning spots, but more spawning points might solve this.

• Like 1

Another idea could be to relocate people to one of the normal respawn points (maybe add more spawning points in land or so), whenever they join a new server, but remembering the last visited server and its location to prevent people who just crash or loses connection from having to start by the coast/random spot. This would make people want to stay on their 'main server', but still have the possibility to change server to play with friends or whatever.

I mean, what reasons is people having to stay on the same place whenever they change server unless it's for some kind of looting in mind?

I do realize that this might make some people wait for fully geared players at some of the coast spawning spots, but more spawning points might solve this.

Interesting. This could work quite nicely if they put a load of spawn points around the outskirts of all the towns and then when you connect to a new server you're dumped at one of the spawn points around the town you logged out in.

ADD-as-fuck CoD kiddies that infest the game at present

People like you never cease to amaze me. I love how because someone doesnt play how you want them to play, it automatically means they are a CoD kid...

get your head out of your own a**

People like you never cease to amaze me. I love how because someone doesnt play how you want them to play, it automatically means they are a CoD kid...

get your head out of your own a**

Oh I'm sorry, but comparing the current state of the game to a TF2 is impossible because there's no teamwork, and it's all just KoS shit. CoD has infected DayZ, and if you can't see it, you should get your head out of your ass.

CoD has infected DayZ? Thats the most ignorant comment i have ever read.

Justify to me, How CoD has ruined DayZ...

Assuming that each server would save your location when you logged off, it would still be more than possible for each person to server hop. It would take longer but they would just need to reach their destination on each server then they could hop freely. Depending on the loot respawn/distance they have to go this could take a while but I assure you it would happen.

Assuming that each server would save your location when you logged off, it would still be more than possible for each person to server hop. It would take longer but they would just need to reach their destination on each server then they could hop freely. Depending on the loot respawn/distance they have to go this could take a while but I assure you it would happen.

Kind of defeats the point of server hopping though so does it matter? You'd be better off just going to the next building/wreck etc and looking for loot.

Edited by smasht_AU

Why not just make it so you can only log into 3 servers every hour or you get a sent back to the coast , that will minimise server hopping

I have connection issues sometimes and I would be fine with that

CoD has infected DayZ? Thats the most ignorant comment i have ever read.

Justify to me, How CoD has ruined DayZ...

Ha...

hahahahahaheeheeehaahahaha

Walk into Cherno or Elektro on a populated server. That's all the evidence you need.

• Like 1

Dunno if this is even possible to implement (or already been suggested) - but in league of legends right (i know totally different game, set up, system - whatever) when you leave a match early or just the lobby you have to wait 15 - 30mins before you can join another, perhaps something like this could be added in if you attempt to server hop - make your client wait 30mins before you can connect to a different server. Instant join same server you were previously on (in case you lose connection - whatever) - but give a time penalty if you attempt to join a different server. This would also have an effect on ppl attempting to ghost :)

Prob not possible - just a thought.

• Like 1

This even creates a far bigger issue.

If your location is saved serverside, you'd log into one server at NWAF, loot it, log out, log into a nother server, right in the middle of your base, drop everything off, and log back to nwaf again.

In theory, the basic idea of the hive was, that you can continue your story on every server, if the one you played on is offline or full.

I think an option would be, to save the home-server of your character with your profile in the hive. If you log into another server, you can choose to guest-play it, spawning at the coast, where your logout-position isn't saved or to migrate your character to the new server, so the position changes are saved, but locking the old server for a certain time-span, so you cannot migrate your character back there for 6 to 12 hours.

Still a bit edgy, but I think a method like that would offer a maximum of freedom for people just wanting to switch servers to play there, while preventing constant server-hopping.

You could still raid NWAF on other servers and log back into your own base on your own server, but you'd have to get there again and again from the coast or switch to that server and not be able to get back to your home-base for the next 6-12 hours allowing a maximum of 2-4 runs per day.

• Like 2