MissSweeney

Help with recording Day Z

I was unsure if this should go in Off Topic or not, please move if I've posted in the wrong area.

So, I'm wanting to record my Day Z gaming experiences, but I'm not sure what the best program to use is. I'm looking for something free or cheap and compatible with Windows 8, but a quick Google search hasn't told me as much as personal experience from others can. If you record, what do you use? Any recommendations?

The 2 most used programs for recording are Fraps & DxTory, neither are free but are easily acquired. I'm not sure if fraps is compatible with windows 8 yet, when I was running windows 8 it worked, but wasn't "Optimal" at all so DxTory may be the viable option.

Also, recording will depend on your PC specs as well, I've wanted to record DayZ for a very long time but haven't bothered because I know my CPU would just give up and die, you need a pretty beastly computer for it.

Edited by Buskaroo

Thanks for the feedback. We have a fairly beasty computer, never been used for this before though. Will soon find out if it works I guess!

Does anyone have experience with xFire or Razer Game Booster recording? The man of the house has informed me he has those on the computer already and that they may be suitable, but as they are free with other programs maybe they aren't quality.

You want to use DxTory - great quality, cheap(ish) and doesnt impact your fps (most likely 5-10fps) where as fraps will half your fps.

Edited by The Shadow

Does anyone have experience with xFire or Razer Game Booster recording? The man of the house has informed me he has those on the computer already and that they may be suitable, but as they are free with other programs maybe they aren't quality.

Do not use Xfire, it lags like crap like all other free recorders, i use fraps and it doesn't affect my fps that much, around 2-5 fps but it really depends on your hardware what kind of fps you're gonna get. Dxtory is a great choice if your comp is not that strong ^^

fraps still best . does mean you need a decent pc though and not one made of cheese

fraps still best . does mean you need a decent pc though and not one made of cheese

DxTory is alot better than fraps

Both are awful, lol.

Your best bets are Fraps or DxTory. I'd recommend getting the demos and trying both and then buying the one that you prefer.

DxTory is alot better than fraps

in your opinion it is in mine it isnt. i make many gaming videos a week and fraps is better tbh.

Edited by dgeesio

Currently using fraps here my only complaint is the massive file sizes.

... what about Bandicam?

I tried bandicam, wasnt a fan tbh :/

I just want to add open broadcaster software to the list.

- free

- twitch.tv supported

only downside so far is that's a bit difficult to set up the first time (tipp: right-click in the Sources box and add "gaming .....") and I didn't find optimal quality settings yet.

http://obsproject.com/

I've used PlayClaw and it seems too work well.

My FPS doesn't drop too much, file sizes will be quite large with any software you use for screen capture depending on the settings you use.

My files are massive because I record at 1600x1200.

It is very simple to set up, you can record sounds from your pc and your mic at the same time and mix the audio into a single stereo file.

[Pro Tip] You should have a hard drive (for best results use as fast a HDD as possible) that is not used for ANYTHING else to record to.

If you start trying to load files while writing huge videos its very likely gonna mess up your video and what ever else you are read/writing.

To encode videos on the fly you want a good processor, obviously an I7 3rd gen is gonna be good at it but I have no issues what-so-ever using my AMD FX-4100 for basic screen capture.

DayZ + recording has never maxed out my CPU, but live streaming uses more CPU as it encodes the video first.

Got one more problem for you guys. I've tried both Fraps and DxTory. Fraps is working ok, but DxTory has waaaay less FPS drop than Fraps. Only problem I have with DxTory is, while I can watch the playback fine on VirtualDub, I can't edit the video because even though it's an .avi file, it's been modified in some way it seems and is not compatible with any video editor I've come across. It's in xtor format which seems to be exclusive to DxTory. If there's a codec I can download for any video editors that will make them xtor compatible, I haven't found any.

Fraps works ok, but would really love to use DxTory as it's much better.

Edited by MissSweeney