Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Melee system

The current hand-to-hand combat sucks, since it's just technically a modified shooting system, that's understandable. I was playing Mount and Blade and they have a pretty decent melee system. Not all the aspects of medieval sword combat can apply to DayZ, but some of the features I liked were:

-directional attacks: you basically hold the left button and swing your mouse in the direction you want to hit. This allows you to swipe at someone's head, or their legs, or thrust at their stomach, etc.

-blocking: same thing, except you click the right mouse button and move it in the correct direction. Pick the wrong direction and you don't block the attack. I'm not very good at that. Problems with this - DayZ uses the right mouse button to zoom in. Also, I don't think random survivors would have great parrying skills with a hatchet or other random objects, but some form of simplified skill-based blocking would be nice.

I'd like to see some form of this in the Standalone instead of simply "click the button to repeat the same hit animation". It makes combat a lot more fun.

Ideas? More suggestions?

Edited by Gews
  • Like 5

maybe if you attack at the same time the weapons clash and that counts as a block instead of a separate block function.

• Like 1

maybe if you attack at the same time the weapons clash and that counts as a block instead of a separate block function.

Yup, that is also incorporated in Mount & Blade, although it's hard to do (it's gonna be extremely difficult to block some guy going apeshit on your dome with a hatchet in real life, too).

• Like 1

Honestly before we get into the mechanics of melee I think we should work on the weapons first. As of right now there are only two. They should include fists, knives, swords, vases, blunt objects, etc. Then the combat should get a overhaul. But that's jut my opinion.

Honestly before we get into the mechanics of melee I think we should work on the weapons first. As of right now there are only two. They should include fists, knives, swords, vases, blunt objects, etc. Then the combat should get a overhaul. But that's jut my opinion.

And chainsaws, every zombie apocalypse needs chainsaws.

• Like 1

The only problem with this is I can't see it being used very often. There may be the rare occasion when two guys off the coast just have machetes or something, but the fight probably wouldn't last long enough for this to really make a difference

The only problem with this is I can't see it being used very often. There may be the rare occasion when two guys off the coast just have machetes or something, but the fight probably wouldn't last long enough for this to really make a difference

Meh, I'm not really talking about long-lasting duels here, that's not the focus of the game, just making hand-to-hand combat a bit more complicated (fun?) than simply spamming the mouse button.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily have to be two people, both with melee weapons. Someone holding a gun could use it as an improvised melee weapon. An unarmed person may have to duck to avoid the blows, making the directional hits more important. You could also try to fight back with just fists, but I imagine it would be quite a challenge.

I can imagine a situation where both players run out of ammo and attempt to use their ammo-less guns to fight each other. That sounds like it came right out of a movie though...

I would think, different button for each limb/hits with whatever's there, (boot for foot, knife for hand, helmet for head etc) should be enough... if not overcomplicated.

Hi

I was playingMount and Blade and they have a pretty decent melee system.

Chivalry Medieval Warfare has a good melee system too. Weapon collision is awesome, you can see it at the end of the video:

Mortal Online combat is interesting also:

• Like 1

I believe Rocket was taking inspiration from Chivalry so hopefully the melee system improves.

Remember Arma 2 has no capability for melee weapons - you are right the hatchet and crowbar are modified guns with a very small range, hence the reloading and 9999 "bullets".

I believe Rocket was taking inspiration from Chivalry so hopefully the melee system improves.

Remember Arma 2 has no capability for melee weapons - you are right the hatchet and crowbar are modified guns with a very small range, hence the reloading and 9999 "bullets".

Ahem.

The hatchet has 99999 bullets, thank you. Good day, sir.

• Like 2

I've actually really been wondering what they've done with melee weapons. Also, I love that directional attack idea. Kind of like Dead Island's alternate control scheme.

Hopefully guns and ammunition will be scarce enough so that melee will occur regularly.

Edited by Very Ape

Hopefully guns and ammunition will be scarce enough so that melee will occur regularly.

Exactly, not too scarce, but hopefully less available than at present.

More advanced melee systems are better because they allow player skill to trump superior weapons and/or numbers.

yop melee-system in DAYZ sucks...

the crowbar is complete useless.. - the hatchet is still good.... - but also an "animated-shootingweapon" :/

melee-combat feels so crampy :/ - I also think thats the most reason, why people use it less

You can not make an melee-attack without getting wounded... thats crap

I think improving melee combat is a very good suggestion. But fighting with fists just be very uneffective vs zombies, going in to combat unarmed vs a zombie should be a very dangerous risk. I also agree that the even bigger problem is the amount and variety of melee weapons.

I'm a M&B/C-RPG junkie so I would love this system... IF it didn't require a hard time implementing it to the current game. Melee combat is rare, but I'm sure it would be more frequent with a better melee system and weapons.

I'm a M&B/C-RPG junkie so I would love this system... IF it didn't require a hard time implementing it to the current game. Melee combat is rare, but I'm sure it would be more frequent with a better melee system and weapons.

The reason melee combat is rare is, because no-one except a desperate fresh spawn tries to get in a fight with a hatchet. If you didn't have to drop your rifle to use a melee weapon, more people would use a hatchet to ambush survivors from close range or take out zombies with stealth.

Exactly, not too scarce, but hopefully less available than at present.

More advanced melee systems are better because they allow player skill to trump superior weapons and/or numbers.

Exactly. If I have a hatchet, and successfully sneak up on someone, I should be able to kill him without him turning around and blowing my head off after the first strike.

Observational science has shown that a hatchet to the head does indeed kill!