The Shadow

First Play Duration

So as we know, the DayZ homepage has an average life expectancy (as of this post 1 hour 9 minutes)

So i thought i would ask..

The first time you ever played DayZ, how long was your life?

I have no idea. Some of my lives tended to be fairly long as I, not knowing the map, would happily march off into the wilderness and die of starvation.

• Like 2

A few hours, I spawned in wilderness and ran West into debug plains, hid from a cow thinking it was a player and followed a goat hoping it would lead me to civilization, eventually died off starvation wondering why I couldn't find anything.

• Like 7

i live way longer than the "average life expectancy" unless i'm in a really bad mood and decide to swing my tampon at every other player.

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 1

i live way longer than the "average life expectancy" unless i'm in a really bad mood and decide to swing my tampon at every other player.

God uses Tampons?

surprised-gasp-l.png

• Like 1

I spawned near Cherno and ran screaming towards the construction site and scaled the crane thinking i was safe from zombies.

At the time you spawned with a revolver so i managed to shoot a zombie or two before falling to my death i think - it was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Back when you spawned with a makarov i died every 10 mins because i didn't know zombies where attracted to gunshots -_-

Edited by Larry F

A few hours, I spawned in wilderness and ran West into debug plains, hid from a cow thinking it was a player and followed a goat hoping it would lead me to civilization, eventually died off starvation wondering why I couldn't find anything.

Hahaha brilliant!

Back when you spawned with a makarov i died every 10 mins because i didn't know zombies where attracted to gunshots -_-

And there was me thinking it was because you realised the makarov is as much use In a firefight as a one legged man in an ass kicking competition.

• Like 1

Played for 6 hours straight to get to know the map :P

I think I lasted for about 30 mins. I didn't know what to and where to go, so I just ran North and got shot.

The very first time I played. Oh, the memories. I spawned near the bridges before Kamenka (didn't know it at the time) on a pitch black server. I was supposed to meet up with a mate who on ventrilo was telling me that he was near a big hill/mountain. I looked around, eagerly, and noticed I had a big mountain-esque landmark on my left (when pointing towards the bridges). "I'm there too," I screamed, with tears of joy running down my face. Seperately, we started climbing for what felt like forever. Not being able to see much else but trees didn't help our sense of direction and not knowing that zig-zagging your way up increases your rate of climbing by 10 only prolonged our efforts. Everytime we came across a slightly open area, we'd tell each other. Every now and then, we'd even fire a shot (this was back when you spawned with a pistol) because we figured we could use the sound as a tool to figure out where the other guy was. We'd heard stories of how difficult meeting up had been for other people we used to know but we were convinced our first go at the mod known world-wide as DayZ wouldn't get the best of us so easily. I climbed and I climbed until suddenly, out of nowhere, a guy appeared on the opposite side of the open field I'd come to. I couldn't see who it was. I didn't even know if it was a guy. "Is this you?" I asked, blatantly excited. "Oh, my God," he replied. "OH, MY GOD," I screamed. We both screamed. We ran towards each other. In slow-motion and with music playing out loud, naturally. We couldn't believe it. We did it. We'd found each other.

10 minutes later, we both died of starvation.

(Way later, we both discovered that Chernarus had several of such hills/mountain and that we got retardedly lucky actually talking about the same one.)

Edited by aHzdaNny
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if in my first time I survived 30 minutes because bandits, or if I lived for hours because I got lost in the forest. Both those happened I just don't remember which happened first.

I did that too...

45 minutes. I still remember it because the life expectancy was (at that time) around 30 minutes so I considered myself almost a pro... :D

_Anubis_

The very first time I played. Oh, the memories. I spawned near the bridges before Kamenka (didn't know it at the time) on a pitch black server. I was supposed to meet up with a mate who on ventrilo was telling me that he was near a big hill/mountain. I looked around, eagerly, and noticed I had a big mountain-esque landmark on my left (when pointing towards the bridges). "I'm there too," I screamed, with tears of joy running down my face. Seperately, we started climbing for what felt like forever. Not being able to see much else but trees didn't help our sense of direction and not knowing that zig-zagging your way up increases your rate of climbing by 10 only prolonged our efforts. Everytime we came across a slightly open area, we'd tell each other. Every now and then, we'd even fire a shot (this was back when you spawned with a pistol) because we figured we could use the sound as a tool to figure out where the other guy was. We'd heard stories of how difficult meeting up had been for other people we used to know but we were convinced our first go at the mod known world-wide as DayZ wouldn't get the best of us so easily. I climbed and I climbed until suddenly, out of nowhere, a guy appeared on the opposite side of the open field I'd come to. I couldn't see who it was. I didn't even know if it was a guy. "Is this you?" I asked, blatantly excited. "Oh, my God," he replied. "OH, MY GOD," I screamed. We both screamed. We ran towards each other. In slow-motion and with music playing out loud, naturally. We couldn't believe it. We did it. We'd found each other.

This needs a movie, i'm still teared up.

6 hours maybe.

My friend convinced me to play it. Going off about how hard it is to survive etc.

Played solo for most of the 6 hours, met up with him. We both ended up needing blood so he decided to head for a hospital.

Meanwhile I thought I would be sneaky and crawl into some tight building. Broke my legs and died.

I actually read about a lot of how the controls work so i managed to feed myself the first time, however I only played it because I saw videos of it being played in way early alpha when you got a Makarov and spawned in a house, but those videos were pretty old and I didn't bother to check the date so now I was terrified by the fact that I had no gun and was also spawned in Drakon, which was nowhere near a house (Didn't know where shit was at the time so i went east like an idiot) after reaching a gas station 3 figures appeared before me and told me to put my hands behind my head, I didn't know how so one of them hastily shot me in the chest with a silenced m4a1, it knocked me out instantly, the presumed leader of the group called him a retard and proceeded to bandage and blood transfusion me, after I explained that I was new one of them gave me a revolver and I was jumping for joy, I said farewell and headed back the way I came because they informed me that I wouldn't find jack shit unless I headed toward the city, so about halfway to Elektro i heard my first helicopter, thinking it was more people from the previous group I ran in circles yelling for them to pick me up in direct chat, and they replied to me request with about 40 bullets to various regions of my body with the helicopters turret, and that ended my first adventure.

I can't remember how my very first life went, but when I first started playing I always thought that night time was best and I'd constantly pop a road flair and follow the rail roads.

The reason I done this was because I had watched a video and everyone in the video seemed to be doing it lmao...

At the time I had no idea how much of a threat other players were, infact, I played assuming that everyone would help me out LMAO

My experience mirrors one of the chaps on the first page. I spawned at night near what I now recognise as Kamenka, and headed inland ASAP because I didn't want to be shot at the spawn point. I knew from the Wiki that the clouds went east, so I headed north and slightly west. At the back of my mind I was thinking "this is an island, I'll reach the other side eventually".

Of course, if you head north and slightly west from Kamenka you end up running up hill and down dale and then into the wilderness, which is where I ended up starving and freezing to death. And so my first go at the popular zombie mod DayZ consisted mostly of holding down the W key whilst looking at a mostly-black screen and listening to a man panting. For an hour.

I remember early on heading out to the wilderness, not really knowing where to go. I got hit by a zombie, didn't know how to bandage. I eventually stopped bleeding but was somewhere below 3000 blood. Kept passing out looking for food and water at crappy little towns. Got a double barrel shotgun which was amazing to me at the time. I really was fighting for survival. Came up on a barn in the middle of nowhere and a zombie started towards me, I shot once missed and promptly passed out again. He ate me.

One of my early lives I had an Enfield rifle and was running around somewhere north of cherno. I shot a few zombies and ran out of ammo. Ran for a deer stand to escape the zombies, I didn't know they could climb ladders. I died trying to pick up the glock on the floor.

Those were the days. When you could die of zombie attack or starvation at any time. Now my biggest concern is finding a good place to stash my extra stuff and trying to find NVGs.