zhrooms

Hard Coded View Distance in the DayZ Mod?

Hi, I was just comparing A2 to A3 on Chernarus, and then I decided for the fun of it to try DayZ as well, and I noticed the View Distance was actually 1600, but I was 100.0% sure that it was 1200 when I tested 6 months ago, I've tried googling like crazy for 10min but haven't find a solid answer yet

Since I haven't played or payed much attention these last months on the actual Mod, have they increased the View Distance or is it actual modding on the server itself to increase the View Distance that could be confusing me?

Anyone know for CERTAIN what hard-coded view distance it is? (And was before, if it has changed)

Thanks for reading

Edit: Mystery solved! (DayZ Mod Alpha Default View Distance: 1500)

Pic related! (ArmA 2 vs ArmA 3)

R8HY9NA.jpg

Edited by zhrooms

Hello there

Traditionally the viewdistance is a server setting and as far as I know DAYZ is usually 1000m.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I've heard in DayZ the view distance is weather dependent.

It's not, it's just fog when it's raining, it still draws everything inside the fog, but you can't see it because ye.. fog!

Traditionally the viewdistance is a server setting and as far as I know DAYZ is usually 1000m.

"as far as I know" :P Exactly, also in the latest Devblog Dean is playing with 2400 View Distance when running around north of Chernogorsk, that's twice 1200, makes sense.. if it actually was 1200 hard-coded for the Mod, but also in an screenshot featuring scenery they use 3000 view distance

Anyhow, if I am indeed correct that it was 1200, and still is, but the server I joined had modded it, it as said.. makes sense that Dean has literally doubled the view distance for the Standalone (But in my testing anything above 1600 is unrealistic, way to performance heavy)

Some more screenshots would be appreciated!

Got tons, been playing around lots with the new lightning system from ArmA 3

jEbmdfA.jpg

Edited by zhrooms

It's a server side option. View distance in Arma 2 can be up to 10 km.

Very helpful.. not

It is hard-coded server side yes, but I have still never seen a server with higher view distance then default (whatever that is), if it's in fact moddable, would it work on the public Hive? If not, since most servers today are Private Hive, that would mean many servers use custom view distance, like then one I joined.. but that still doesn't answer my question, what is the intended default view distance by the Dev Team/Dean?

What's certain, it's not 1600 like then one I joined today

It's either 1000 or 1200, I saw a thread about server settings and that one said 1000 flat, but I'm still not convinced about it (Now that I think of it, all I need is an old screenshot from summer last year and I can compare it to ArmA 2 OA today, and I will know exactly what the default public hive view distance was! :D)

iB6R9ip.jpg

Here we go, compared to a picture taken in June 2012, the default public hive server view distance was.. 1500.0! That could explain part of the DayZ Standalone Scenery Screenshots from the developers, it was 3000 on the dot, that's twice of what the default is now

But we'll see, one thing I'm certain about tho is that Standalone will never have 3000 default view distance, it takes an enormous amount of performance. (I would say, expect the same or slightly increased)

Mystery solved tho! (DayZ Mod Alpha Default View Distance: 1500)

Devil's Castle with ~30 Camp Fires

NBzA7oA.jpg

Edited by zhrooms

ArmA 3 is a dream come true ( with low fps )

Edited by Mad mega

I always thought DayZ viewing distance was 1600m. Just that the weather, ie rain and fog, would drop your viewing distance. I don't play much on the Chernarus map, nor on a public hive, anymore, so can't be sure if it is map related or not. But I do know on Panthera and Taviana, I have been able to see well over 1200m easy with no weather effects. The other day I was on Taviana and took a few shots a couple players with an M24 at 1312m (just to see if I could hit that far with that gun), and I could still see much further than that. Next time I have perfect weather conditions i'll try to get a range on my viewing distance.