applejaxc

Comparison of DayZ Weapons For New Players

This is a general discussion of DayZ weapons. ALL OPINIONS WILL BE RESPECTD.

There will be several rounds of discussion to this topic. I will start by comparing and contrasting pistols, and work myself to LMGs or AMRs or whatever I feel like should come last. The discussion will stay only on that brand of weapons that I have posted for until such a time as I change topics; I want this comparison to be coherent for new players, rather than everyone talking about all sorts of different things. Try to refrain from abbreviations and words that new players don't yet know (KoS, agro).

A Comparison of Pistols and Sidearms

G17:

The G17 (Glock, model 17) is a military/police-issue pistol that fires 9mm parabellum ammunition. It is not incredibly loud, but it is incredibly weak; the 17-bullet magazines won't drop a player without a headshot. The large magazine, however, can make them effective against zombies; don't trust your G17 to save you from a bandit. Like all pistols, it is semi-automatic, and fires as fast as you can click. It is also pretty accurate at short distances, with minimum recoil.

I personally am not a fan of the G17; it holds plenty of ammo per magazine, but it is the second weakest weapon in the whole game, or at least the second least effective. It is unsuppressed, making its usefulness against zombies dubious at best. You can go through 2 magazines (34 bullets!) and still not kill someone.

M1911:

The M1911 (Model 1911) is an American service pistol used extensively in WW2. It fires .45ACP, though you cannot find any magazines for it; you have to convert .45 cylinders (for revolvers) into M1911 ammo by right-clicking and choosing, "Combine for XXX". That's not so bad; the 7-round magazines do almost twice the damage of a G17 and ammo is fairly common. The gun is loud, however, and is innaccurate for rapid-fire; zombies will hear you and if you spam the trigger, you'll miss most of your shots. Headshots are always one-hit-kills on zombies, though I wouldn't suggest using it over a supressed weapon. If you absolutely have to use it, aim for the chest.

M9:

The M9 is a more modern pistol by Beretta, an Italian company, used today by police and the US military. It fires 9mm rounds like the G17, and has almost exactly the same stats, except it takes 1 more shot to kill a player than the G17 and is about a million times rarer, both as a weapon and its ammo. I'm personally a bigger fan of the M9 than the G17, however; there's a great placebo affect of thinking you have a better gun when you aren't holding a block of plastic that spits bullets. But really, if you're knew and you have to choose between a G17 and an M9, the G17 is probably a better choice.

M9 SD:

SD means supressed; the gun is quiet and doesn't attract zombie attention as long as you use M9SD ammunition (which is more rare than normal M9 ammo!). It has almost no recoil and will kill a zombie with 3 shots to the chest. Don't expect it to kill a bandit, however; pistols are never a good choice when killing a player.

Makarov PM:

Supposedly the most commonly found pistol in DayZ, the makarov is a Russian service pistol slowly being phased out by Izmash and other competing Russian arms manufacturers. I personally call the Makarov a kettle pot; when you first get one, your excitement simmers until the bursting point, when you think you can kill every zombie in Elektro!-

and then die.

The Makarov isn't exceptionally loud, but it can take 6-8 rounds to kill a zombie or player, has the most recoil, and only holds 8 rounds per magazine. If you think a makarov makes you god, you're an idiot; the Makarov will make you dead sooner than anything. STAY AWAY FROM THE MAKAROV (except for emergencies).

PDW:

The "Personal Defence Weapon" is essentially an Uzi, from Israel. They're commonly seen as illegally converted automatics in the hands of gangsters and criminals. It holds 15-30 rounds of ammo (it accepts a few different magazine types) and has the same damage of a G17, but can be fired automatically, making it a good close-range tool against players. Headshots kill in 1-2 hits on zombies. The iron sights are its only major drawback; the Uzi was designed for CQC in cities, thus it does not provide very good awareness of your surroundings. Aiming down the sights will limit you accuracy to close-range attacks.

Revolver:

Firing the 45ACP like the M1911, the revolver is perhaps the second worst weapon on this list; though it has the best range (100m!) of all the weapons, its fire rate is slow and it holds only 6 rounds of ammo. The 3 bullets it takes to kill will attract every zombie from Chernogorsk to Hell's Castle and back; you might as well shoot a flare in the air and yell, "DINNER'S SERVED!"

Ammo is fairly common for the revolver, but the M1911 is a better choice; the M1911 holds more ammo per magazine and has better iron-sights, not to mention its a tad bit quieter.

This is all written from personal experience, and might not be 100% accurate. If you want the official list: http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons#Sidearms

I tried to explain the stats on the wiki page in a way new players could understand.

If you have any questions, comments, opinions, or more accurate facts, please reply. I want this forum to be as useful as possible to new players.

• Like 1

G17 second weakest sidearm in the game? In my opinion, it's the second best sidearm after the M9 SD. Zombies should be killed only with headshots, and you got your rifle to take care of players, not the sidearm. So, the G17 has a high capacity mag, which means you don't need to reload that often, and you get much more ammo when you find a mag PLUS it can use M9 and M9SD ammo, keep that in mind. The sights on the sidearm are pretty good, so you can easily headshot zombies with 1 bullet. It's also more quiet than an M1911 or a Makarov, and it has an attached flashlight, so if you like playing at night time, G17 is the sidearm you should use. (Don't ever run with the flashlight on.)

Nevertheless, that's a good guide you wrote :)

Edited by chakijz
  • Like 4

G17 second weakest sidearm in the game? In my opinion, it's the second best sidearm after the M9 SD. Zombies should be killed only with headshots, and you got your rifle to take care of players, not the sidearm. So, the G17 has a high capacity mag, which means you don't need to reload that often, and you get much more ammo when you find a mag PLUS it can use M9 and M9SD ammo, keep that in mind. The sights on the sidearm are pretty good, so you can easily headshot zombies with 1 bullet. It's also more quiet than an M1911 or a Makarov, and it has an attached flashlight, so if you like playing at night time, G17 is the sidearm you should use. (Don't ever run with the flashlight on.)

Nevertheless, that's a good guide you wrote :)

I have a really biased aversion to weapons based on my real-life experience. I've never been a Glock fan (except when I was young and played MW2 and thought the full-auto G18 was the coolest thing in the world). I've handled a lot of firearms, and just haven't had a good time with Glock weapons. *shrug*

It's not TERRIBLE, and you're right; only headshot zombies and save your rifles for players, which is what the guide was supposed to show.

I hate flashlights. The only thing they've ever done for me is get me sniped, unless I was blinding a bandit while a friend took him out. I personally (if I don't have NVGs) throw a flare near an intended loot location to distract all the zombies and run in through a backdoor, like throwing a flare into a building across the street from the minimart in Chernogorsk.

I have a really biased aversion to weapons based on my real-life experience. I've never been a Glock fan (except when I was young and played MW2 and thought the full-auto G18 was the coolest thing in the world). I've handled a lot of firearms, and just haven't had a good time with Glock weapons. *shrug*

It's not TERRIBLE, and you're right; only headshot zombies and save your rifles for players, which is what the guide was supposed to show.

I hate flashlights. The only thing they've ever done for me is get me sniped, unless I was blinding a bandit while a friend took him out. I personally (if I don't have NVGs) throw a flare near an intended loot location to distract all the zombies and run in through a backdoor, like throwing a flare into a building across the street from the minimart in Chernogorsk.

Yeah, the thing about flashlights is that you should never have it turned on all the time, I just illuminate the loot places to see if something's there, and immediately turn it off.

You say you have a biased opinion based on real-life experience, yet only bring up your MW2 experience with the glock?

Regardless ill have to disagree about the G17, I love the mag capacity, and as long as youre not spraying someone in the legs and hit them in the head, itl kill in one shot. Also, as for 1911 mags, i find those all the time as well. Either that or .45 ammo which can be converted. its the G17 & M9/M9 SD you have trouble finding mags for. Only place to really find them are barracks, where as the 1911 & .45 ammo can be found virtually everywhere.

*If you want to compare the stats of the guns just check out www.Dayzdb.com

My least favorite sidearm is the PDW. I happily drop them for a Glock (my favorite). The reason is those terrible, frequently misaligned sights on the PDW... ugh.

The 1911 sucks, too, the sights are just awful and accuracy is a crapshoot.

The Makarov is laughably weak.

The Sa-61 on private hives is about the worst PvP weapon in the game, taking 24 chest shots to kill someone.

I prefer the Revolver to the 1911. If you get into a pistol fight it's easier to get a headshot.

I don't usually find M9s but I prefer the Glock.

Glock is my favorite, it has some of the best sights and a good sized magazine.

• Like 3

My least favorite sidearm is the PDW. I happily drop them for a Glock (my favorite). The reason is those terrible, frequently misaligned sights on the PDW... ugh.

The 1911 sucks, too, the sights are just awful and accuracy is a crapshoot.

The Makarov is laughably weak.

The Sa-61 on private hives is about the worst PvP weapon in the game, taking 24 chest shots to kill someone.

I prefer the Revolver to the 1911. If you get into a pistol fight it's easier to get a headshot.

I don't usually find M9s but I prefer the Glock.

Glock is my favorite, it has some of the best sights and a good sized magazine.

The M9 SD is my favorite because the only targets I use a pistol against are zombies. I like the 1-hit headshots deaths that don't attract any zombies.

honestly anything that isn't a revolver is good to me. I mean i feel like a bad ass with a colt python in the RL but in a videogame it's not the same. Pistols all kill in one headshot and thats all i have ever needed in dayz

honestly anything that isn't a revolver is good to me. I mean i feel like a bad ass with a colt python in the RL but in a videogame it's not the same. Pistols all kill in one headshot and thats all i have ever needed in dayz

The colt python fires .44, not 45ACP. Very different calibers.

The DayZ revolver looks like a .357, shoots the .45, and everyone calls it a .44... XD

M9:

The M9 is a more modern pistol by Beretta, an Italian company, used today by police and the US military.

Hmm funny I haven't seen any police in DayZ yet Edited by Man vs Wild

Hmm funny I haven't seen any police in DayZ yet

There are Cherno police zombies! The guys with the tiara-looking hat and the plastic windbreakers? I like killing them because they drop bandages and road flares, my 2 favorite things.

There are Cherno police zombies! The guys with the tiara-looking hat and the plastic windbreakers? I like killing them because they drop bandages and road flares, my 2 favorite things.

True true but when I called 911 I expected this.http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xulb3pelwis/TNdOw7tsgyI/AAAAAAAADIg/V3quFxA49To/s1600/policeman.jpg

Not this!! :( http://dayzcheatz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/zombies3.jpg

TBH, Pistols are pointless once you have a real gun. Ammo is so plentiful that you never really need to use a pistol. Revolver/1911 used to be good until they nerfed them. 2-3 .45 shots to kill is silly. If you try to use a sidearm in PvP you are dead before land a shot.

But since you're a noob, Stick with G17 once you find it, because flashlight. Once you find a primary, use your sidearm inside cities. Makarov->M9/m1911/revolver->Glock->PDW. Get PDW once you have NVGs or primarily play during the day. M9, G17, PDW and Mp5 mags fit into the PDW, so ammo is the most plentiful. Also automatic fire is best. Don't use iron sights.

M1911 is better than revolver if you use it right. Faster fire rate for 1911 is nice. Revolver is a little under 2 rounds per second, where you can empty is 1911 mag less than a second if you fire fast enough

TBH, Pistols are pointless once you have a real gun. Ammo is so plentiful that you never really need to use a pistol. Revolver/1911 used to be good until they nerfed them. 2-3 .45 shots to kill is silly. If you try to use a sidearm in PvP you are dead before land a shot.

But since you're a noob, Stick with G17 once you find it, because flashlight. Once you find a primary, use your sidearm inside cities. Makarov->M9/m1911/revolver->Glock->PDW. Get PDW once you have NVGs or primarily play during the day. M9, G17, PDW and Mp5 mags fit into the PDW, so ammo is the most plentiful. Also automatic fire is best. Don't use iron sights.

M1911 is better than revolver if you use it right. Faster fire rate for 1911 is nice. Revolver is a little under 2 rounds per second, where you can empty is 1911 mag less than a second if you fire fast enough

1: Automatic fire is wasted fire. You can us ONE bullet for a headshot or THREE in the chest instead of the 4-6 most people fire in "Bursts."

2: I devote too much of my inventory to primary weapon/gear to waste inventory space on MPSD magazines for the PDW.

3: Don't use iron sights? Pfff... I play "Hardcore" mode, with as little a hud as possible-I disable side chat, side-chat VOIP, vehicle, global, et cetera. I don't have the green 2-bar pip-aim when shooting "From the hip."

Regardless, I tend to "Noscope" with slow weapons like the L119A6 "Lupua" for fun/a challenge.

You say you have a biased opinion based on real-life experience, yet only bring up your MW2 experience with the glock?

Regardless ill have to disagree about the G17, I love the mag capacity, and as long as youre not spraying someone in the legs and hit them in the head, itl kill in one shot. Also, as for 1911 mags, i find those all the time as well. Either that or .45 ammo which can be converted. its the G17 & M9/M9 SD you have trouble finding mags for. Only place to really find them are barracks, where as the 1911 & .45 ammo can be found virtually everywhere.

*If you want to compare the stats of the guns just check out www.Dayzdb.com

I brought up the MW2 as an example of an opinion that was biased for a stupid reason. I wasn't trying to say that CoD should be your ultimate firearms reference (though MW3's most powerful rifle, the M4A1, did make me smile; they finally got some realism points).

I've used various Glock handguns before, and I don't like any of them. An all-plastic exterior makes it hard to maintain and the lack of accessory rails/mounts make its usefulness dubious at best. You can choose flashlight or laser in real life as an underbarrel item, not both.

The M9 isn't incredibly better, but I've never had an M9 jam before-and I'm the kind of clutz that would drop his gun in a pile of sand trying to clear the chamber.

I've fired the Browning HiPowered and the Colt Python before. They're both loud and the recoil is intense. I've never fired a .45ACP revolver, however.

I don't use a pistol unless I absolutely have to, like a zombie is standing in the only doorway to leave a building. I won't go through more than one magazine every day, and taking trips to the airfields aren't difficult.

The G17 is functional and the PDW can accept 9million different magazine types, but I'd still go with the M9SD over all, unless I had a MP5K6SD or Bizon.

And yes, I'd pick the Bizon over the M4CCOSD or whatever the hell it's called.

http://dayzdb.com/da...apon-comparison

*** Best website for new players

I appreciate the post, but numbers and colors don't make much sense to new players. I had a really hard time starting out in DayZ because every time I asked for help, I got those stupid color-coated tables. :)

I just picked all my gear based on what I could find/what weapons I liked in ArmA 2.

When it comes down to it, for sidearms, damage and PvP capabilities shouldn't even be considered. What's important is the sights, silenced capabilities, and magazine rareness/flexibility. If you have anything beyond the civilian pistols chances are you'll have some sort of farm rifle or at the very least a hatchet, if you don't and you're on the business end of a bandit's rifle, no sidearm is going to help, only your legs. And as many have said, you should only be headshotting zeds, body shots is a waste of time and ammo.

M9 SD is good because it can't be heard by zeds and won't be heard by players more than 150m away. The sight is fine, but the issue lies in the ammo. You can only load it with M9 SD mags which are fairly rare as far as magazines go, not Bizon Mag rare, but it's up there. If I have a surplus of those mags I'll use it, but otherwise it stays in the tent.

PDW shines in the fact that it can be loaded with 6 different mags (PDW, G17, M9, M9 SD, MP5, MP5 SD). When loaded with the SD mags, it will be silent to zeds, and for players the sound doesn't carry that far anyways. It could be argued that this could be the best PvP sidearm with it's full-auto capabilities, for those who wish to have a hatchet out at all times, but again, if someone is shooting at you, you'll just get yourself killed trying to take them out with a sidearm. The drawback of the PDW for me at least is the terrible sight on it. If I don't have a G17 or want to run with 8 bandages (I'm a medic btw), I'll take the PDW with me.

G17 is my overall favorite. I can be loaded with M9 SD mags when I can't afford to draw aggro, the sight on it is wonderful making aiming a piece of cake, and G17 mags are pretty common finds in military and industrial spawns, as well as the fact that you can load it with M9 and M9 SD mags. Plus the added bonus of the mounted flashlight which can serve as more than just seeing what's in front of you, including signalling an LZ for a chopper, letting your allies find you if you get separated, and guiding someone without NVG's through an area, all without having to fiddle with getting your standard flashlight out.

All in all, I believe you should base your comparison more off in-game mechanics and stats, and less off of personal opinion and real life experience. It's cool that you do have that knowledge and experience, but it doesn't all transfer over to the game. What can be a bad gun in real life could be an amazing gun in-game, as you have already stated yourself. Just some advice for your next round of comparisons.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon

I killed a guy just before with a Makarov. I fired about 5 shots at him, 1 missed and the rest hit his torso. I was shaking and crouching, so is this incredible luck or am I a good shot. I doubt it.

I use PDW if possible due to my play-style: in populated areas I switch to the hatche and store the main gun: the only moment when I need a sidearm is a close-call with an hostile player and then I switch to PDW to 'spray and pray'.

_Anubis_

I use PDW if possible due to my play-style: in populated areas I switch to the hatche and store the main gun: the only moment when I need a sidearm is a close-call with an hostile player and then I switch to PDW to 'spray and pray'.

_Anubis_

I don't like to rely on the PDW, although it is nice. :)

280 minutes and a youtube video comparing all the pistols will uploaded. I collected 5+ magazines and 1 of every pistol type and killed a few zombies + a few players (bandits of course).

What I found is that all the pistols are in the 1-5 bullet kill range against zombies and 2-6 against players. The weakest, of course, was the PDW per-bullet, but the most effective PvP was the PDW.