Sign in to follow this  
DK McWormfood

Poison Gas

Would it be possible to implement poison gas in the stand alone? I'm thinking smoke grenades that are toxic to both players and Z's so you could throw them into a confined space for an almost certain clear out, and use them in the open to create clouds of sheer panic.

To complete the circle of dread you could also implement gas masks or even complete Noddy suits that would provide protection against gas and infections, with possible drawbacks such as decreased vision and fatigue.

The gas could also be less than lethal if the exposure is limited. Your character could be given a cough, similar to the infection that is in the alpha at the moment, or there could be other secondary effects such as reduced mobility, vision, aim, passing out, etc.

Also, the gas could linger in areas and have a decreasing power over time. For example, short exposure would be lethal at first but only damaging after a couple of minutes, followed by irritating after a while. It would enable players to smoke out other players or create effective no-go areas for a limited time.

I think this kind of weapon would suit the fearful atmosphere of the game, and WW1 ear gas masks would go well with an enfield rifle always freak me out a bit!

post-132938-0-01975500-1362652711_thumb.

gas masks have been already confirmed

well it would be highly possible that - in a case of such an outbreak - gas would be set in against zeds. lure them into a hall or something and kill them easily in great numbers...

in the end it would be too much of an "op" item i guess though

Edited by joe_mcentire

Not sure about poison gas (nerve gas?).Stockpiling or using them was outlawed in RL by the Chemical Weapons convention in the 90s. Can't see the army having them ready to use during a Viral outbreak.

Tear gas that affects Zeds is a good idea though.

• Like 1

Russia and the US both have stockpiles of chemical weapons, they are being disposed but it will take a while.

Gas masks should be pretty common military loot, as every soldier carries one.

bandit gets toxic gases kills all Bambis on coast...hacker gets lots of toxic gas kills all on server for 15 minutes straight... bad idea... :emptycan:

Tear gas grenades are an interesting idea. They could apply some kind of filter or special effects that make aiming hard and vision blurry and difficult.

No to poison or nerve gas, though.

• Like 1

i dont believe they produce mustard gas anymore due to inhumane nature of it. so i doubt you would find it.

I know ammonia and bleach mixed together make chlorine gas.

I also know my uncle was always talking about those damn dirty commies. So i'm not sure what luck we would have finding cleaning supplies in russia.

I actually had the idea after i had an accident at work and was exposed to some organophosphate (nerve gas). It does seem like the sort of thing a panicking government might try as a last-ditch effort to contain an epidemic, short of using fire-bombs or nuclear weapons. I think it should be exceptionally rare, and difficult to use (might require lots of special kit, clothing, etc) but the possibility of hacking should not affect design decisions, someone who uses a kill script is not more of a nuisance than someone who hacks in powerful weapons.

something to remember, when the germans first used chlorine gas in WW1, the wind changed and it drifted back towards their positions...

I actually had the idea after i had an accident at work and was exposed to some organophosphate (nerve gas). It does seem like the sort of thing a panicking government might try as a last-ditch effort to contain an epidemic, short of using fire-bombs or nuclear weapons. I think it should be exceptionally rare, and difficult to use (might require lots of special kit, clothing, etc) but the possibility of hacking should not affect design decisions, someone who uses a kill script is not more of a nuisance than someone who hacks in powerful weapons.

something to remember, when the germans first used chlorine gas in WW1, the wind changed and it drifted back towards their positions...

in terms of plausibility you may be right on that one. governments would take the risk of large amounts of "collateral damages" just to preserve mankind...but i really don't know....too overpowering...