joe_mcentire

What is „The Infection“? a definition (-approach)

I don't know if they eat us or not, but going feral means you have to rely on nails and teeth as weapons.

well actually you are right. after being hyper-reactive to the external stimuli, which would be a screaming, struggeling human/animal, the infected would lose interest again...

well this then would also mean, if you would have enraged the zeds and then would take cover and try to calm yourself down again, one would indirectly be able to cool them down (rememember Jurassic Park and the T-Rex issue ;), or the nurses in Silent Hill ;)) as well.

Right, totally forgot that. That pretty much nails it :)

So they will eat us to stay alive, a basic survival instinct. Could it then be possible the virus knows it cant survive on tainted flesh? They should prob attack animals to then :)

The fact that you are continually speaking of the virus as if it has a brain and is able to formulate thoughts and has desires like an animal would, makes me want to tear my hair off (oh wait, I'm bald already :( ).

The fact that you are continually speaking of the virus as if it has a brain and is able to formulate thoughts and has desires like an animal would, makes me want to tear my hair off (oh wait, I'm bald already :( ).

In 28 days later the infected attack only the uninfected. This means they are able to identify (somehow) who is infected or not. Does this mean the rage virus has a brain ? I don't thinks so....

this is the time, where a virologist would come in handy: ... ...

.. . !?

edit: i tried wiki but this is far too much info for me at the moment ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

These questions have no right answer. Are we dealing with a more advanced version of rabies, or something altogether new? Well, if its the "rabies" theory, then the infected should retain the ability to bleed, feel pain, and break bones. Even then, rabies kills after several weeks. So assuming that this is some offshoot of rabies that is not fatal, then they should still be able to bleed out, break bones, and pass out from pain. Also, if this is based of of rabies, older infected will lose the ability to recognize and use (closed) entrances and such until seen in action, as the higher brain functions are completely lost. In my mind, I believe this would make the infected too easy. I prefer the classic zombie (see: World War Z) that has hijacked the body of a human (both recently dead and alive), and does not suffer these things because (1) their blood is more of a paste now, (2) the central nervous system is the main weakness, and (3) they do not suffer from pain or similar because they have simply shut off those receptors. I know every time I suggest the classic zombie, I take a lot of flak because people keep saying "they're supposed to be infected humans" If they are infected humans, then ditch all the aspects of the classic zombie, and completely switch over (pun intended). I, myself, will continue to regard them as zombies as long as they keep any trait of the walking dead.

• Like 2

well there are diseases which would explain (3) of your suggestion for example.

So assuming that this is some offshoot of rabies that is not fatal, then they should still be able to bleed out, break bones, and pass out from pain. Also, if this is based of of rabies, older infected will lose the ability to recognize and use (closed) entrances and such until seen in action, as the higher brain functions are completely lost. In my mind, I believe this would make the infected too easy.

...on the other hand this would be an elegant way to introduce different "types" of zombies which would need different approaches and strategies to overcome.

it is really interesting if there would be a somewhat reasonable mix of diseases/viruses to recreate our zombie-infection. but i guess there will be always some form of "plausibilty" breaker. (why would they even communicate only with each other, as in the mod, or do we misinterpret this and zed's do only react to the offered stimuli; which would be the screaming of another zed...)

What also would be interesting...How about a pocket radio and you strap it on a zed, how should or would zeds most likely react? would surrounding zeds go on a rampage, killing the zed with the radio? would the just be lured to the zed, but pheromones would signal them, hey it is one of their kind....hmm

Edited by joe_mcentire

"Why?" isn't an easily answered question. Especially in situations that are basically unprecedented (because they're fictional).

There are still many behaviours in "normal" people we don't understand fully.

Maybe the zeds still have empathy, but only for each other.

Maybe they attack uninfected folks because they're jealous.

I don't think much thought went into the mechanics of infection until SA was confirmed. There are questions only Rocket has authority to answer, such as, whether or not zeds actually eat people.

Whatever the case, I'd rather find out from in-game lore (newspapers/diaries etc.) than be told outright. It makes the discovery more of an investigation out of interest than just another "did you know?".

I don't think much thought went into the mechanics of infection until SA was confirmed. There are questions only Rocket has authority to answer, such as, whether or not zeds actually eat people.

Whatever the case, I'd rather find out from in-game lore (newspapers/diaries etc.) than be told outright. It makes the discovery more of an investigation out of interest than just another "did you know?".

that's why i wanted to give it a little thought. well i too would rather find that out in-game, but that doesn't mean we cannot give neat suggestions and have a discussion about the "right" behaviour of zeds.

Maybe the zeds still have empathy, but only for each other.

Maybe they attack uninfected folks because they're jealous.

so these things, i guess, would then speak against a fucked-up form of rabies... more of bacteria/fungus that mess(es) with the brain. rabies basically gives you meninigitis, wich means your brain is badly infected and you die in a minimum of time.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Mind-Altering Bugs for example

In this case, the side effects appeared to be beneficial. Mice whose diets were supplemented with L. rhamnosusfor 6 weeks exhibited fewer signs of stress and anxiety in standard lab tests, Cryan and colleagues report online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. For example, the rodents spent more time exploring narrow elevated walkways and wide-open spaces, which are scary to rodents, and they exhibited a smaller spike in stress hormone levels when the researchers put them in water. "This was really exciting because it tells us the animals are more chilled out and don't mount the same stress response," Cryan says.

As I said, with it being a fictional scenario, and the development following an authentic but not necessarily realistic approach, theres nothing really which says we even have to know what the infection is. Or that it even has to be explainable.

I don't say this to stall the discussion BTW, but to add another element to it.

In reality, when a catastrophic event strikes, there is often a serious lack of information.

There's no reason to believe this incident would be any different. (unless I missed something)

Strictly speaking, from a story-telling point of view, the specifics of the infection never really have to be defined.

For designing the game, of course, the devs will need to have a clear Idea of the source, nature and mechanics of infection so the zeds can follow a certain standard of behaviours and reactions.

Just now the discussion is walking a fine line between gameplay and storyline.

I don't think lore is something we (the community) should presume our "suggestions" can have any influence on.

Like Dallas said. Doc Hall will get it sussed. Don't worry 'bout it.

i want to bring this topic back up for the simple fact that i think zeds (or the virus/parasite behind them) should be somehow consistent as I pointed out in a question (see also below)

edit:

For designing the game, of course, the devs will need to have a clear Idea of the source, nature and mechanics of infection so the zeds can follow a certain standard of behaviours and reactions.

that's the point. what should be "logic and authentic" on the condition that such an outbreak would be real? at least what are our opinions?

Just now the discussion is walking a fine line between gameplay and storyline.

I don't think lore is something we (the community) should presume our "suggestions" can have any influence on.

Like Dallas said. Doc Hall will get it sussed. Don't worry 'bout it.

i guess it's easy to "overlook" some form of consistent zed-behavior, although i understand they could create their zeds anyway they want, but maybe we could hint at some minor or major flaws or just provide many neat ideas.

some inconsistencies for example:

why do they attack ppl and not other zeds? why don't they aggro on animals? why can they climb ladders, swim in water, open doors but can't use/handle other tools? Did you think about adapting certain behaviors/instincts to create a more consistent antagonist? How will more consistent zeds help ppl to overcome them (distract, taunt, scare, deceive)?

Or do you just accept some (unavoidable) inconsistencies?

I guess the "ape" approach would be the "easy and legit" way out, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edited by joe_mcentire

This seems relevant

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic

The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function

Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge

86% of the worlds population die

Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected

Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly

You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

Its intro text found in the code of the current mod but for some reason unused, describes the infection as a Prion disease that instills a strong desire for violence, they're not trying eat you they just want to kill you.

Edited by Fluxley

well i guess you can call this "out of date" then

Well maybe the reason they left it out is because they have deans brother completely reworking the idea, could turn out to be something quite different in the standalone.

very very intersting indeed:

also http://www.nytimes.c...han-humans.html

so these sources explain why e.g. chimps are like 2-3x times stronger than human. so could a virus alter our muscular or nervous systems? if yes, zeds could have indeed superhuman powers!

Edited by joe_mcentire

and again the "monkey" approach:

ECHOLOCATION is not only a sci-fi thing only availybale to Daredevil. Could zed's somehow learn these things, but then again should they also be able to learn more...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYCs8xtzUI

unbelievable awesome!

now you know what humans are capable of, it's the brain what is restricting us....

Edited by joe_mcentire

another nice consideration:

CIPA - condition where a person cannot feel physical pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n6iOUW523BE

What is remarkable is this:

http://www.livescien...ion-110323.html

People with CIPA lack the ability to smell!

holy shizzle...what dayz taught me...

Edited by joe_mcentire

I always thought the hoppers were damaged somewhere in the brain or the spine (I'm not a healthcare expert), so they can't stand with a straight back, but they crouch instead. Either from their own unawareness or decay.

thought i'd reactive this due to recent reddit activity....

and maybe DEAN would like to see this very inspiring thread...

Edited by joe_mcentire

in term so zombie AI i think this thread can / could help and YOU should help! add moar ideas! more links of awesome stuff!

If you've seen the movie 28 Days Later, you should already know the answer. It's simple: monkeys.

Monkeys. Some are more monkey-like than others. You could say "less evolved". The crawling ones are slightly retarded.

Monkeys. They don't know how to use their opposable thumbs!

Monkeys.

pT2DZCn.jpg?1

Monkeys. The great apes are quite peaceful creatures, and only attack when threatened. For instance, by a survivor sneaking around acting all suspicious-like.

Monkeys. The damn things are chaotic creatures by nature!

buzmonkey.gif

Monkeys. Wild gorillas may survive to age 35, and wild chimps live about 50 years.

I agree. I like to think of "the Infection" as what was list by the original poster and that it sets the mind back a few generation making them demented and primitive.

i wonder what the new zed ai proposal may look like. i really hope you can distract them, which could mean a whole new strategie in dealing with zeds. i also had this new idea for one moment...fireworks! you could create a lot of fuss and distract everyone including zeds

so new pathfinding may work and zeds are back on track, anyone else ideas how to make a consistent infection? anyone useful links?