Sign in to follow this  
shikanosuke

ZOMBIES NEED THESE CHANGES SO THEY CAN BE PART OF THE GAME

I can think of two changes that are completely doable and each would give zombies some relevance in survival.

The first would be to make being hit by a zombie either guaranteed or 50% chance to give you an infection, which is realistic considering the thing injuring you is made entirely of deseased rotten flesh; this might make it over challenging for newer players but no one who wants a zombie survival game is going to be stopped by that and it might even give people more incentive to team up for survival benefits. Zombies would always demand your attention and the threat of handling them would need to be taken into account forcing you to at least acknowledge that they are there and they arent literally HARMLESS on their own.

Second change would be either a more realistic limited sprint in which there is SOME POINT at which you cant run fast enough to avoid being hit anymore so that you would have incentive to actually sneak around and really have to deal with zombies that get on you, or a better hunger/thirst system that would result in players occasionally finding a time when they actually need more food/water than they have found or could easily find looking nearly anywhere, so keeping up supplies long term becomes concern, not really zombie related but it would help the game out.

I personally think that any zombie survival game really NEEDS to be challenging to survive in singleplayer, and have multiplayer as an addition to the experience and not the only thing that makes it even remotely worth playing.

So anyone who knows how to code want to make a modified version of dayz with features like that? Or is that not an unrealistic hope?

This is to give the zombies a bit more strength even though there are so many of them depending on the players. I think 50% infection is a bit high.

It should work like this..

*Zombies can transmit an infection due to rotting flesh at a 15% rate when bleeding(Which is an open wound) .. Once transmitted, it'd take some time before your player reacts to the disease.

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 1

Not that I really disagree, but I think these are 28 days later infected, not 'zombies". But yes they need to be a challenge, but not from buggyness.

• Like 3

The first would be to make being hit by a zombie either guaranteed or 50% chance to give you an infection
Second change would be either a more realistic limited sprint in which there is SOME POINT at which you cant run fast enough to avoid being hit anymore

Mein Gott, people would flip! There were already tons of complaints about the zombies in 1.7.5.1 being eagle-eyed, pull-you-from-your-car monsters, and I found those zombies rather weak myself. :huh:

I don't think people would like one-hit infection marathon zombies. I agree they need to be more difficult, though, this is a zombie survival game and surviving the zombies is easier than the first level of Spyro the Dragon.

• Like 2

hello there

All caps in a thread title? We don't like that. Please, don't do it anymore it hurts mine eyes.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Lot of us want the zombies to be super duper hard mike tysons, but kids cry. Therefore Rocket, Razor and his team has to babysit.

It's a pitty i know. When something gets mainstream you have to keep a fine line to keep everyone happy.

• Like 2

Lot of us want the zombies to be super duper hard mike tysons, but kids cry. Therefore Rocket, Razor and his team has to babysit.

It's a pitty i know. When something gets mainstream you have to keep a fine line to keep everyone happy.

yeah but people release other maps for dayz so how hard would it actually be for someone to make a version with better zombies as an option?

Also, i could really see difficult zombies giving people incentive to work together, maybe a car you want to fix is somewhere with too many zombies for you to handle the job alone with what you currently have? the more situations that seem challenging or impossible to handle on your own the more reason you have to work together, shouldent looting a city mean risking your life in a zombie apocalypse? of course theres the threat of other players but even on a high pop server they arent always there to interact with, sucks needing to walk for an hour to FIND a threat to survive while passing countless dozens of zombies on the way.

Dying might not always be fun but surviving is more fun the harder it is, new players might die alot but if they came for a zombie survival game then death from zombies needs to be a constant threat to even make it survival and not zombie target practice, or zombie avoidance with no realistic chance of death in the process without player involvement or being completely new, and the game was so much more fun when i was new because of that.

Edited by shikanosuke
  • Like 1

Well the solution is actually kind of simple from a concept point of view ... And should be achievable in the scripting side ... But I stand under correction.

We already have server modes: recruit, veteran, etc....

So why not plug in the zombies to that matrix.

For example ... Veteran zombies have a higher infection chance ... More alert to sounds ... Etc. etc. etc.

That way server instances can cater for the players and the mod doesn't have to try and cater for everyone who plays in one go. The natural progression of a player would be to learn the game on a starter server and then progress up the ladder tree. You could also tie this in to humanity or something ... But not sure hat would be practical.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Well the solution is actually kind of simple from a concept point of view ... And should be achievable in the scripting side ... But I stand under correction.

We already have server modes: recruit, veteran, etc....

So why not plug in the zombies to that matrix.

For example ... Veteran zombies have a higher infection chance ... More alert to sounds ... Etc. etc. etc.

That way server instances can cater for the players and the mod doesn't have to try and cater for everyone who plays in one go. The natural progression of a player would be to learn the game on a starter server and then progress up the ladder tree. You could also tie this in to humanity or something ... But not sure hat would be practical.

Just a thought.

Something like that would be my hope.

Edited by shikanosuke

I think this fits in well with Rocket's idea of zombies "degrading" over time. The starving zombies would have all kinds of diseases and infect you very easily but they would be much less agile than the "healthy" zombies.

I think of zombies as the kind that will not really chase after you but you damn sure don't want to get near! I think this fits in much better with a survival game than the "28 days" style: the game is not about running and gunning, it's about scavenging and stealth. Getting into a place swarming with zombies and back out alive is the challenge!

• Like 1

I think this fits in well with Rocket's idea of zombies "degrading" over time. The starving zombies would have all kinds of diseases and infect you very easily but they would be much less agile than the "healthy" zombies.

By that logic, zeds that spawn as crawlers would have ~80% infection chance, zeds that spawn as hoppers would have ~60% infection chance and zeds that spawn as runners would have ~30% infection chance.

• Like 1

By that logic, zeds that spawn as crawlers would have ~80% infection chance, zeds that spawn as hoppers would have ~60% infection chance and zeds that spawn as runners would have ~30% infection chance.

Give me infections mate. Give me. I mean for real. And don't even change the spawn chance of Antibiotics. The harder it is to survive the better the game is. That's how you keep the game in perspective.

When you guys introduced 1.7.5.1 i was so fascinated that i died by zombies 4 times. And with every new start i was more and more carefull and therefore more immersed into the game. Just like the "old" days. Back when i first played the game in mid June.

The more hardcore the game is the more it gets into perspective and follows the vision that Rocket started. Does not matter how many people think immersion comes by cans. Immersion comes by difficulty and complex mechanisms. Just how life is. The people that are scrubs will go away and all the other will be sucked into it.

• Like 2

yeah but people release other maps for dayz so how hard would it actually be for someone to make a version with better zombies as an option?

Also, i could really see difficult zombies giving people incentive to work together, maybe a car you want to fix is somewhere with too many zombies for you to handle the job alone with what you currently have? the more situations that seem challenging or impossible to handle on your own the more reason you have to work together, shouldent looting a city mean risking your life in a zombie apocalypse? of course theres the threat of other players but even on a high pop server they arent always there to interact with, sucks needing to walk for an hour to FIND a threat to survive while passing countless dozens of zombies on the way.

Dying might not always be fun but surviving is more fun the harder it is, new players might die alot but if they came for a zombie survival game then death from zombies needs to be a constant threat to even make it survival and not zombie target practice, or zombie avoidance with no realistic chance of death in the process without player involvement or being completely new, and the game was so much more fun when i was new because of that.

DayZ+ features much more powerful zombies. They deal 1000-2000 damage per hit.

• Like 1

Only if the dev team ends up having to make a compromise between some other feature, like players building new structures in the over world (which I'm against by the way, I'd rather have static customizable buildings that serve some function besides working as a base. Wouldn't lag the server as much.) and the amount of zeds spawned on the map, should the individual zombies be made insanely more powerful.

I do agree that they should be an opponent players wouldn't want to engage without a good reason, however the 'lore' behind them being dangerous has to make sense. Right now they are just cannon fodder.

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 1

Give me infections mate. Give me. I mean for real. And don't even change the spawn chance of Antibiotics. The harder it is to survive the better the game is. That's how you keep the game in perspective.

When you guys introduced 1.7.5.1 i was so fascinated that i died by zombies 4 times. And with every new start i was more and more carefull and therefore more immersed into the game. Just like the "old" days. Back when i first played the game in mid June.

The more hardcore the game is the more it gets into perspective and follows the vision that Rocket started. Does not matter how many people think immersion comes by cans. Immersion comes by difficulty and complex mechanisms. Just how life is. The people that are scrubs will go away and all the other will be sucked into it.

exactly, in a SURVIVAL game the content is the things that will actually kill you, as it stands its like it has all of the parts of a zombie survival game, but all of them are too weak to actually be important to anyone but noobs who just ASSUME they are important because they SHOULD be, then they eventually learn they arent and only think about pvp.

We have a hunger/thirst system but its too slow and too easy to get supplies for it to be a constant gameplay element, same with temperature and really anything but the incredibly rare random stuff which guarantees long periods of time spent bored waiting for something worth doing to come along.

Overall it really seems like if a survival element isnt something that can kill you if you ignore it virtually forever then its not really adding the to the gameplay the way it should be.

Only if the dev team ends up having to make a compromise between some other feature, like players building new structures in the over world (which I'm against by the way, I'd rather have static customizable buildings that serve some function besides working as a base. Wouldn't lag the server as much.) and the amount of zeds spawned on the map, should the individual zombies be made insanely more powerful.

I do agree that they should be an opponent players wouldn't want to engage without a good reason, however the 'lore' behind them being dangerous has to make sense. Right now they are just cannon fodder.

it just seems like it would be really easy to add right now without having to any serious modding, because as it stands there arent many right now so if they ever change zombie numbers, they can always rebalance them then, but NOW they arent any fun at all. There is no thrill in dealing with them because they really just arent dangerous enough.

i mean really might as well make them need headshots too, i doubt anyone would complain at all, as long as it was something servers could turn on/off, the harder they make the aspects of the game the more there is to it.

Also, it doesnt really matter how strong they make zombies if they leave it so you can still run to avoid being hit guaranteed forever and little difficulty losing them, either the way they attack or the way sprint works should be changed, it would add more to the game than anything else i can think of.

Edited by shikanosuke

please for the love of god make zombies harder.

i don't care if i get angry. it'll just make it that much better when i survive.

but please, PLEASE, make the zombies harder to deal with. to the point where just three can be a problem to deal with.

• Like 1

I would be unrealistic if being hit will infect the zombie needs to bite you in order to infect you

In every zombie fiction ive seen scratches are just as deadly as bites, and some of their attack animations have bites.

If you assume their entire body is infected then of course any injury caused by them is nearly guaranteed to be deadly, similarly, if they are dead bodies and not 28 days later style infected then their rotting fingers would be RIDDLED with bacteria and diseases that absolutely would cause potentially deadly infections if they broke your skin.

I just imagine how impossible it would be to make a zombie apocalypse movie where the survivors can stand still for 30 seconds with 2 zombies on them and most likely be pretty much fine untill they finally start to get low enough blood to pass out and be in danger of actually dying; something like 15-20 zombie hits later.

Edited by shikanosuke